Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Weird. I copied and pasted from the viewable image (not the normal display page), and I verified it worked on my end at the time. I wonder if the URL is periodically or otherwise randomized. Oh well, probably not really adding much value to the discussion anyway.
I don't know. Is your account "moringello" or "amoringello"?

Steve

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
To my eye, the K-3 noise is very well controlled @ ISO 2500
That has been my experience as well, though much depends on choice of subject. In this case the subject is well-lit and the amount of signal (as opposed to noise) is high. For a dimly lit subject (low signal) exposed to place the value at mid-range (longer exposure), the noise might not be acceptable.

Steve

08-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't know. Is your account "moringello" or "amoringello"?
For the link given, it is simply 'moringello'.
The link as given no longer works for me either. So they must randomize things on some sort of timed basis, or maybe just my browser cache holding info. blargh...

Anyway, maybe this will work (it won't embed. no limits set, but who knows.. too tired to figure it out right now)
https://flic.kr/p/oq8Xew
08-21-2014, 02:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Image quality does, of course, suffer at ISO 6400 on the K-3. There is certainly no mistaking shooting ISO 6400 for shooting ISO 100! And I agree that K-5 images do usually end up looking better at high ISO than K-3 images.

But the K-3 results can still be very usable when shooting a variety of scenes indoors and out. There is always good detail lurking in K-3 high-ISO images even at ISO 6400, helped a lot by the great low-light AF of the K-3.

Lancer pause - Kyogle Showground
70mm, f/3.2, 1/200s @ ISO 6400, PENTAX K-3

Dee Dee Lavell opening
50mm, f/3.2, 1/125s @ ISO 6400, PENTAX K-3

Team work - pale bull 3
93mm, f2.8, 1/320s @ ISO 6400

Last edited by rawr; 08-21-2014 at 02:46 AM.
08-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Image quality does, of course, suffer at ISO 6400 on the K-3. There is certainly no mistaking shooting ISO 6400 for shooting ISO 100! And I agree that K-5 images do usually end up looking better at high ISO than K-3 images.

But the K-3 results can still be very usable when shooting a variety of scenes indoors and out. There is always good detail lurking in K-3 high-ISO images even at ISO 6400, helped a lot by the great low-light AF of the K-3.

Lancer pause - Kyogle Showground
70mm, f/3.2, 1/200s @ ISO 6400, PENTAX K-3

Dee Dee Lavell opening
50mm, f/3.2, 1/125s @ ISO 6400, PENTAX K-3

Team work - pale bull 3
93mm, f2.8, 1/320s @ ISO 6400
Very nice pictures, I know from experience that the K-5iis has hard time nailing focus on low light situations. My K-3 should be at my doorstep this afternoon. Can't wait to get acquainted

08-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I agree that K-5 images do usually end up looking better at high ISO than K-3 images.
Most if not all in this thread have said that the K-3 and K-5 have similar noise at high ISO. Are you judging at equal resolution, or same print size? If you want less noise in you K-3 images, just add more noise reduction. There's no reason for K-5 photos to look better.
08-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Most if not all in this thread have said that the K-3 and K-5 have similar noise at high ISO. Are you judging at equal resolution, or same print size? If you want less noise in you K-3 images, just add more noise reduction. There's no reason for K-5 photos to look better.
I think the K3 encourages heavier cropping due to the fact that it has more pixels. If you crop heavier with the K3 than the K5, you will see more noise. At the same size, as you say, it should be about the same.
08-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the K3 encourages heavier cropping due to the fact that it has more pixels. If you crop heavier with the K3 than the K5, you will see more noise. At the same size, as you say, it should be about the same.
Yes, so it was kind of a disappointment for those of who shoot birds, because we bought it to crop, but not an entire wash. Still better than a lower res camera, just not as good as we'd hoped.
08-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Can we put this to bed yet? The K-3 is *not* a poor performer at high ISO. It is in virtually every way a better camera than the (exceptionally good) K-5. My second body is a K-5 IIs, but if I did my live music photography for a living I would swap it for another K-3 in a heartbeat.

08-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Can we put this to bed yet? The K-3 is *not* a poor performer at high ISO. It is in virtually every way a better camera than the (exceptionally good) K-5. My second body is a K-5 IIs, but if I did my live music photography for a living I would swap it for another K-3 in a heartbeat.
Exactly....
08-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yes, so it was kind of a disappointment for those of who shoot birds, because we bought it to crop, but not an entire wash. Still better than a lower res camera, just not as good as we'd hoped.

Being a bird/wildlife enthusiast on a Pentax systems its challenging in itself ( Its like forced to start a few seconds behind everyone on a 100m dash), we make due what what we got.

thank you for you feedback members. I love my k5iis, but i was looking for a little bit of "reach" which I'm hoping the 24mpx sensor will provide. I know some people suggest to crank up NR but for wildlife shooters that are looking for that infinitesimal detail on our subjects increasing NR roughly equates to having a AA filter back on the sensor. From what I gather K5iis and K3 are very much their equal when shooting wildlife (I assume what extra pixel of sharpness on heavier crops you gain on the K3, you lose applying NR to match the K5iis) This seems like a more realistic conclusion which is alright. Faster buffers (albeit by not much on RAW) and AF.C is a good thing. I'm also hopping that the better low light focusing might give me higher keeper rates in most situations on my Sigma 300mm f2.8 + TC.
08-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I love my k5iis, but i was looking for a little bit of "reach" which I'm hoping the 24mpx sensor will provide. I know some people suggest to crank up NR but for wildlife shooters that are looking for that infinitesimal detail on our subjects increasing NR roughly equates to having a AA filter back on the sensor.
The K-3 is clearly better than the K-5 IIs for birding. Auto focus is much improved, in AF-S and especially AF-C mode. The extra resolution allows you to crop and still have a useable sized photo. You can crop away an entire K-5 image and have 8mp left. What is the maximum ISO you use for birding?
08-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Well if we show some images. Yes you can make great images with K-3 and hi iso.

ISO 3200
08-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Very nice, Ron!
08-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Being a bird/wildlife enthusiast on a Pentax systems its challenging in itself ( Its like forced to start a few seconds behind everyone on a 100m dash), we make due what what we got.
Wow, now let's not start the crazy talk, check out the 300mm plus club. I don't see too many people who feel they are starting a few seconds behind.

You seriously need to define who "everyone else " is, because there are a lot of "everyone else's" that don't even approach Pentax's AF.
08-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just see at a minimum the same detail and often, even at high-ish iso more detail with the K3 than with the K5.

iso 1600

iso 3200