Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very Capable Remote Shutter Release

Since I enjoy panorama HDR photography this shutter release is of interest to me
Supported Cameras

Is the Pentax K-3 and K-5 remote shutter release compatible with the CN2 connection shown for Canon? I have seen a few shutter releases that operate for both Pentax and Canon cameras.

Thanks for your help.

08-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the CN2 is what you want.

BTW, it only works in "Bulb Mode" for Pentax cameras, and you must set your Custom Function (7) "Bulb Mode Options" to #2, or shutter press to start, shutter press to stop. Oh, and things like Focus Stacking are not supported. Good luck!

I had one, tried it, and returned it soon after. I find the AEB in the Pentax cameras (5 shots in one shutter press, +-3ev) to be more than enough for most HDRs and HDR Panos I shoot.
08-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yes, the CN2 is what you want.

BTW, it only works in "Bulb Mode" for Pentax cameras, and you must set your Custom Function (7) "Bulb Mode Options" to #2, or shutter press to start, shutter press to stop. Oh, and things like Focus Stacking are not supported. Good luck!

I had one, tried it, and returned it soon after. I find the AEB in the Pentax cameras (5 shots in one shutter press, +-3ev) to be more than enough for most HDRs and HDR Panos I shoot.
Thanks
I also got this email from the manufacturer
Yes, the Promote can function as a simple intervalometer or remote shutter release with those cameras with a CN2 shutter cable. However, it won't be able to do advanced modes like HDR bracketing or Focus Stacking as it is done via USB protocol. Thank you.

I just finished an HDR tour of St Matthews Cathedral in Washington DC comprised of 11 HDR panos. For several of the panos I could have used more brackets even with using the 5 AEB in Pentax at max delta EV. Bit those rooms were ones with both very bright stained glass windows and dark corners. The results were OK but a couple of brackets on both ends would have helped.

Overall I agree with you - the Pentax K-5 and K-3 are great for HDR panos 99% of the time.