Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
The biggest advantage of K5II or K5 is AF, so if you plan to use manual lenses mostly, I will suggest get an used K5 and use the saved $$ on a good focus screen for it;
Same for K3, unless you need the extra resolution of the new sensor.
I use about 50/50 mix of AF and MF and the main reason for the upgrade will be improved AF accuracy, so an original K5 is definitely out. I like to use MF when I'm not in a hurry or when results aren't critical (shooting for pleasure) but I want fast, accurate AF when it's needed.

08-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Much like me, I see that you have a variety of maximum-aperture lenses, so no single Katzeye is going to be ideal.

I don't know how familiar you are with better live view with focus peaking. You are best off considering the newer processor designs such as the K3, K-30/50 for the quickest and most accurate LV AF, good MF focus peaking. At the time I bought, I had to go with the K30 over the K5 for the MF advantages. The K5ii will be fine for viewfinder PDAF, but the processor holds it back for CDAF. Good CDAF is fairly quick, and much more accurate in artificial light. Even if you are very committed to VF focus only, consider what comes along with very good LV - it can make a big difference in a variety of situations - not only MF but to encourage use of higher or lower perspectives. You also might find that you won't need a new screen (Katzeye or otherwise) with the newer camera.
08-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is truly puzzling unless you were ignoring the focus aides. I still had the K10D with KatzEye when I was evaluating the the S-type and was able to compare them side-by-side on the same subjects.

I liked the S-type, I just did not find it to be more accurate for fine focus than magnified live view. I did not, however, use it with any lens faster than f/1.4

That last bit is exactly it... My experience and preference for it is at apertures faster than 2.8 and I was speaking specifically of my M50/1.2 used at 2.0 and lower. I do not use live-view hardly ever if at all - the extremely high battery consumption rate is not acceptable for me personally whatsoever - so I can't comment on comparing s-type/katzeye accuracy to live-view. What I can comment on (and this is simply based on "successful" shots taken over time on multiple real-world shooting outings, not any controlled tests) is the razor-thin difference between in-focus and out when using very fast glass is more than the stock screen (or the Katzeye to a lesser extent) can *visually* account for, while the S-Type screen *can*. That's my experience and I've held on to the S for that reason alone, and my super lowlight *good* to *bad* shot ratio is proof in the pudding.
08-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I was speaking specifically of my M50/1.2 used at 2.0 and lower.
And I was speaking specifically about my 85/2 and my 77/1.8, both of which have "razor-thin" DOF wide open similar to your 50/1.2.* There are a ton of variables, including the lenses being used and the choice of subjects and the photographer's visual acuity. The S-type screen is a good choice, but my experience has been that it is not superior to the KatzEye when using the focus aids on the latter. Like you, I have used the KatzEye for thousands of successful manual focus images, many of which with "razor-thin" DOF over a period of about six years. I used the S-type exclusively on my K-3** for about a month of fairly heavy usage for may types of subjects including many with "razor-thin" DOF and many without. I eventually had to abandon my S-type screen due to technical issues not related to focus accuracy with fast lenses.

Does that mean that I think the S-type screen is inferior in any way? No, I would not say that. It is an excellent screen, particularly when paired with faster glass and has my strong recommendation with two qualifiers, both of which relate to apertures narrower than f/2.8. The first is that the version with laser-etched lines is apparently incompatible with the metering system on the K-3 (severe underexposure at f/3.5 and narrower). The second is that the screen dims quickly at apertures narrower than f/2.8 making composition and focus difficult. I don't know if this dimming affects metering or not. My screen had the etched lines.

Steve

* I originally purchased the KatzEye for use with my Jupiter-9 85/2. Using the stock screen, I had very poor luck manually focusing that lens. With the KatzEye I seldom missed focus. Fanboy? Yes, and with good reason.

** I bought the S-type specifically for the K-3 because of its big bright viewfinder and because I have generally found the focus aids on the KatzEye to be intrusive for my choice of subjects. Fanboy? Yes, with reservations.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-27-2014 at 05:51 PM.
08-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And I was speaking specifically about my 85/2 and my 77/1.8, both of which have "razor-thin" DOF wide open similar to your 50/1.2.* There are a ton of variables, including the lenses being used and the choice of subjects and the photographer's visual acuity. The S-type screen is a good choice, but my experience has been that it is not superior to the KatzEye when using the focus aids on the latter. Like you, I have used the KatzEye for thousands of successful manual focus images, many of which with "razor-thin" DOF over a period of about six years. I used the S-type exclusively on my K-3** for about a month of fairly heavy usage for may types of subjects including many with "razor-thin" DOF and many without. I eventually had to abandon my S-type screen due to technical issues not related to focus accuracy with fast lenses.

Does that mean that I think the S-type screen is inferior in any way? No, I would not say that. It is an excellent screen, particularly when paired with faster glass and has my strong recommendation with two qualifiers, both of which relate to apertures narrower than f/2.8. The first is that the version with laser-etched grid lines is incompatible with the metering system on the K-3 (severe underexposure at f/3.5 and narrower). The second is that the screen dims quickly at apertures narrower than f/2.8 making composition and focus difficult. I don't know if this dimming affects metering or not. My screen had the etched lines.

Steve

* I originally purchased the KatzEye for use with my Jupiter-9 85/2. Using the stock screen, I had very poor luck manually focusing that lens. With the KatzEye I seldom missed focus. Fanboy? Yes, and with good reason.

** I bought the S-type specifically for the K-3 because of its big bright viewfinder and because I have generally found the focus aids on the KatzEye to be intrusive for my choice of subjects. Fanboy? Yes, with reservations.
Good notes. Just for reference, my particular screen is the S-Type with grid lines, no AF markings.