Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 02:55 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
I appear to have a slight hot pixel issue with my K20D. As best I can tell, it's a single pixel -- or maybe 2 pixels at the most. [...] movie file of the affected area as I flipped through pictures in Lightroom
Jason,

welcome at the forum! I hope you'll enjoy participating as everybody else seems to.

I already vote for your movie as this threads best movie!

In your movie, I see the red (static) hot pixel, taken care of by LR. It would be mapped out by the K20Ds mapping feature which is a great addition for situations like yours.

I see two additional (very dim!) hot pixels, at 10- and 11-o'clock positions from the red pixel, at about 1/3 way from center to corner. LR oversees them. It would be interesting to learn if the K20D mapping feature would remove them as well. Before you do, please record their pixel coordinates as it would be hard to check w/o the red one.

BTW, this entire thread (about the "hot pixel issue") deals with random hot pixels only encountered in very rare situations. Not like yours. Your "issue" is just ordinary DSLR business for every brand and the mapping feature takes care of it in the Pentax case.

06-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
Hi All,

I've perused some of the posts in this thread, but didn't real all 9 pages, so please forgive me for that.

I appear to have a slight hot pixel issue with my K20D. As best I can tell, it's a single pixel -- or maybe 2 pixels at the most. It's not something that bothers me, as it rarely (if ever) shows up in my "final product." I shoot exclusively in RAW and use Lightroom for post processing. I usually only notice this issue when flipping through images in Lightroom. If I pause long enough for the image to "settle," the pixel often disappears.

Regardless, if anyone's interested, I used Snapz Pro X to record a small movie file of the affected area as I flipped through pictures in Lightroom. The movie file is about 3.5 Mb in size, so I compressed it a little to allow it to fit into a .zip file that would attach to this post. I'm happy to share the original if anyone wants it.

For the record, I have no interest in taking any sides on what appears to be a somewhat contentious issue. I'm only offering this in case it helps the community arrive in some way. Overall, I'm thrilled with my K20D, and am 100% confident that I made the right choice for my first DSLR.

Cheers,

-Jason
Hi Jason. One thing: 1 or 2 hot pixels is really a non-issue to most. It's the plethora of hot pixels one gets when using the 2 sec mirror lock up timer that's got everyone all excited...
AND if mapping out these galaxies of hot pixels is detrimental to the image quality.
Few would argue mapping out one or 2 is a flea on an elephant...
Like everything in life, peoples tolerance to this issue varies by amounts, position ect. Just be aware that hot pixels are a fact of sensor life, and are dealt with by different companies in different ways.
06-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #168
Inactive Account

I find it sad that this topic has gone to 12 pages. People, if your camera has a problem dont look for help on a forum to make it go away. Box up your camera along with a sample of the problem and send it to Pentax to have it fixed.
06-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
I find it sad that this topic has gone to 12 pages. People, if your camera has a problem dont look for help on a forum to make it go away. Box up your camera along with a sample of the problem and send it to Pentax to have it fixed.
I had done that for so many times with my Pentax DSLR bodies and digital lenses which have issues but in the end nothing had never been resolved. Most of the time, they even did not admit there was any problem. So?

06-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #170
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I had done that for so many times with my Pentax DSLR bodies and digital lenses which have issues but in the end nothing had never been resolved. Most of the time, they even did not admit there was any problem. So?
well you have two options... send it back in again and demand it be fixed with cold hard evidence of the problem... hoping that it does indeed get fixed. Or.... fix it yourself lol... I sent my K10D in for hot pixels. It took FOREVER! lol... But they did map them out and I haven't had a problem since... I also sent my K10D in to have the leaning viewfinder fixed as well. I included several prints and files showing the problem. I even used a mirrors edge to show the problem so they could see the K10D in the reflection lol! They were a bit quicker with that repair. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It can be very frustrating when you pay good money for a product only to have to turn around and send it in not even a year after having it to have problems fixed.
06-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Jason,

welcome at the forum! I hope you'll enjoy participating as everybody else seems to.

I already vote for your movie as this threads best movie!

In your movie, I see the red (static) hot pixel, taken care of by LR. It would be mapped out by the K20Ds mapping feature which is a great addition for situations like yours.

I see two additional (very dim!) hot pixels, at 10- and 11-o'clock positions from the red pixel, at about 1/3 way from center to corner. LR oversees them. It would be interesting to learn if the K20D mapping feature would remove them as well. Before you do, please record their pixel coordinates as it would be hard to check w/o the red one.

BTW, this entire thread (about the "hot pixel issue") deals with random hot pixels only encountered in very rare situations. Not like yours. Your "issue" is just ordinary DSLR business for every brand and the mapping feature takes care of it in the Pentax case.
i wish i could view that .mov file... no player installed atm (sigh). if i'm reading this right, you had a few "hot pixels" during an acr preview. if that's the case, then that's completely normal.

it comes from the "weak" aa filter to gain resolution. it only appears in the high end raw converters that can get that resolution (acr, captureone..)

my ist dl* did it, my k10d does it... i'm sure future bodies will do it until they change their aa method.