Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #61
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
Hi Codiac:

Sorry, please read my other post on sensor dust. That is why I came to this board, looking for help on that issue. In the process I read your post on "hot pixels." I believe, unfortunately, that I do have them. The site will not let me post a full-size Jpeg--this would clearly show you the hot pixel. I just joined the forum today/last night.

Someone. called the "rickerster@pentaxforums" just e-mailed me with a request for the pic--I sent it to him, with the data on iso--exposure and what not.

I will send you one if you send me an e-mail. This is very disturbing to me. I waited two years to save enough money to nuy a DSLR, researched the topic to death. Now I have $2000 invested in a brand new camera which aleready has multiple probelms. Unless all this hot pixel stuff is blown out of proportion. Can someone please help us to get to the bottom of this?

Regards,

Ernest

05-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #62
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
E-mail I sent a Jpeg to

Here is what I got on e-mail:

The image I sent was taken @ ISO 100, 5 second exposure, with F- for aperture in Pentax Photo Browser. I have another one, which happened at a longer exposure (8 seconds)--Also, I was not using live View at all, but did use self timer for the tri-pod setup. Hope this helps--let me know if there is more to know.


Regards,

Ernest

"Rickster @ PentaxForums.com" <rick@rickster.org> wrote:
This is a message from Rickster at PentaxForums.com ( PentaxForums.com - Pentax Photography Forum ). The PentaxForums.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Rickster, you can use this online form:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=2356

OR, by email:
mailto:rick@rickster.org

This is the message:

Send me the image and I will put it on my server for you.

cheers,
Rick

rick@rickster.org
05-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #63
Veteran Member
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Posts: 433
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Here is what I got on e-mail:

The image I sent was taken @ ISO 100, 5 second exposure, with F- for aperture in Pentax Photo Browser. I have another one, which happened at a longer exposure (8 seconds)--Also, I was not using live View at all, but did use self timer for the tri-pod setup. Hope this helps--let me know if there is more to know.


Regards,

Ernest

"Rickster @ PentaxForums.com" <rick@rickster.org> wrote:
This is a message from Rickster at PentaxForums.com ( PentaxForums.com - Pentax Photography Forum ). The PentaxForums.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Rickster, you can use this online form:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=2356

This is the message:

Send me the image and I will put it on my server for you.

cheers,
Rick

rick@rickster.org
See page four of this thread.

Here's the link again ... http://www.rickster.org/images/SHOT1870.JPG
05-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #64
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
In order to keep this whole thing in perspective, please see my initial Thread/Post called "K20d Image Question." That is what brought me to this forum. It was just after making that post and receiving help, that I stumbled upon the post by Codiac on "Hot pixels."

I think a lot of the confusion here can be simplified if you see that post first. Rickster, thanks for helping me out here. I have had enough of this for one night--time to sleep--this is EST for me.

Regards,

Ernest

05-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #65
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrocław
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
At this point we do not know the provenance of the cameras that DPR or the Polish web site had. Were they new stock, pre-prods or some returns the sales company had laying about.
K20D tested by optyczne.pl was from official polish distributor.
05-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #66
Veteran Member
codiac2600's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
Well first off the image sent by Ernest has corrupt or modified EXIF data so we have no conclusion here at all. The EXIF shows that no lens was attached and max aperture is F1 and lots of pieces of EXIF from the K20D were missing including a serial number. I'm awaiting a new image that has ALL the EXIF to even confirm this as a picture taken from a K20D.
05-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #67
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
What???????

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Here is what I got on e-mail:

T
Regards,

Ernest
1 HOT Pixel???????
Sorry no big deal, no need for angst, and bottom line,
though some will argue incessantly, well within any realistic production tolerances..
Maybe I'm missing something here but that's just the way it is...........
Besides this is not the "Phil issue" I'm sure and back to that I just got an e-mail re: some Nikon bodies and hot pixels/liveview issues:
Live View keeps the sensor active. When the sensor stays active, it heats up, especially in the DSLR designs where the ADC and digital boards (and LCD for that matter) are usually right behind the sensor. Heat produces noise, of which hot pixels are certainly one component. The question would be whether certain implementations are worse in that respect than others. The D300 is rather quiet in that respect, the D3 is rather pronounced, especially if you use one of the crops, where it appears that the pixel remapping gets turned off accidentally. I donít know what the K20D is like, but the comment seems to indicate that the issue was clearly visible, and enough so to make the feature much less desirable than expected.

But that all brings up another point: there is so much to test now on these cameras that even the manufacturers arenít catching everything. Not by a long shot. Thus, a single random tester out there may or may not catch something. Weíve all been bitten both ways by that problem. ...............
Personally, I think open communication and lots of it is the best thing for a company or organization to do. Truth, facts, and openness go a lot further to build community and trust than cryptic comments and lack of communication. But thatís just me

As we will all read into this what we choose, I'll just leave it as is...
05-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #68
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
Last night, while making my first post here, I happened upon this "Hot Pixel" issue. I am new to DSLRs--just bought my first DSLR a month ago. I waited years to buy it and researched like I was pursuing my doctorate. I was thrilled with my K20d for many reasons.

Anyway, I am one of the last people who wants to have hot pixels in the K20d---this is truly making me question my purchase of the k20d. And I can tell you all this. I have images with hot pixels. I uploaded one of them (2 mega pixel size) early in the morning, to "rickster" and "codiac" because they asked me to. I do not know what you mean that they were corrupted. I am not even sure what an EXIF is. I do know I can not upload the images here because the site limits the size of images one can upload here.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, please let me know. Provide direction for the correct way to upload the file and I will do this. By the way, I shot the images with the M 1.7---so the F stop is not recorded in the Pentax Browser--just an "F-." However, all the other details for the shot are in the browser when I click on the an image with the hot pixels. Is this the EXIF?

I think I will call Pentax directly--they should have some direction for me--perhaps tomorrow.

Regards,

Ernest

05-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #69
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Sigh

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Last night, while making my first post here, I happened upon this "Hot Pixel" issue. I am new to DSLRs--just bought my first DSLR a month ago. I waited years to buy it and researched like I was pursuing my doctorate. I was thrilled with my K20d for many reasons.

Anyway, I am one of the last people who wants to have hot pixels in the K20d---this is truly making me question my purchase of the k20d. And I can tell you all this. I have images with hot pixels. I uploaded one of them (2 mega pixel size) early in the morning, to "rickster" and "codiac" because they asked me to. I do not know what you mean that they were corrupted. I am not even sure what an EXIF is. I do know I can not upload the images here because the site limits the size of images one can upload here.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, please let me know. Provide direction for the correct way to upload the file and I will do this. By the way, I shot the images with the M 1.7---so the F stop is not recorded in the Pentax Browser--just an "F-." However, all the other details for the shot are in the browser when I click on the an image with the hot pixels. Is this the EXIF?

I think I will call Pentax directly--they should have some direction for me--perhaps tomorrow.

Regards,

Ernest
Ernest, I trust what you told us. Personally, I believe you totally.

I don't think in fact you need to show us any "evidence" as I cannot think out a reason why you needed to tell us something that is not true here. For anyone who doesn't trust or believe in what you say, it is useless to show them anything, e.g., even EXIF is meaningless - which can be edited easier anyway.

Btw, have you tried the K20D's built-in "pixel (re-)mapping" function and tried to rule out / disable the hot pixel(s) you found?
05-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #70
Veteran Member
codiac2600's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Ernest, I trust what you told us. Personally, I believe you totally.

I don't think in fact you need to show us any "evidence" as I cannot think out a reason why you needed to tell us something that is not true here. For anyone who doesn't trust or believe in what you say, it is useless to show them anything, e.g., even EXIF is meaningless - which can be edited easier anyway.

Btw, have you tried the K20D's built-in "pixel (re-)mapping" function and tried to rule out / disable the hot pixel(s) you found?
Well RH I do need intact EXIF because I'm sending the images directly to Pentax USA head officials including Ned Bunnel. If I don't get real images then I can't send them anything and if this an issue like YOU imagine then nothing will get fixed. Please just stay out of this RH and lets wait for some real hard facts instead of your made up jargon I unfortunately have to deal with.
05-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #71
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
Would somone please tell me what "intact EXIF" means? Thank you.

Regards,

Ernest
05-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #72
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Would somone please tell me what "intact EXIF" means? Thank you.

Regards,

Ernest
Theres a data file attached to an image. Some editors, web sites ect strip this out or modify it from the original.
If you open a file in Pentax Photobrowser you will see the orig. info... which,as things are done to the photo, can change, be stripped off ect...
BTW: The only glitch in this photo is 1 hot pixel....anything else is hot spots from that crystal

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-11-2008 at 11:28 AM.
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #73
Veteran Member
simons-photography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northamptonshire - England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 497
EXIF is data stored in image files that give information on the camera setting used for the shot and details about the camera used for example if you see a picture on the internet and are curious about it, download it and right click on the image and select properties go to the summery tab and select detailed, you will probably see a list of details such as camera make model and settings on the camera including date and time and even the lens used if the lens is compatible with such functions.
05-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #74
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
HA HA HA HA I F%$#@*&G Love it!!!!

Rice High you just go take your soother and your case to Adam. I'm sure he'll rule in your favour over Chris, a respected member of this forum who actually owns a K20D and shoots real pictures with it. Be careful, whine enough and you might just get yourself deleted.


As far as the issue goes, I think this is all DPR hot air and I'm still ordering a new camera next week.

Chris, I still use Silkypix and the Pentax Browser. Does it correct for hot pixels?

Btw. I sold electronics for 10 years and every manufacturer in the business said that they were happy with 0.002 -0.003% pixel failure in sensor devices and display devices. I defy anyone to find a similar device with 6 or 10 or 14.2 million pixels and not find one or 2 defective ones somewhere in there. This is just life and deal with it.

Edit Opps sorry I just reread this post and realized I had entered the wrong % amounts for dead/hot pixels. The correct numbers are now posted. (about 20 per million was the threshold that most manufacturers claimed to stay under).
I agree with this. Further more, I suggest that a poll be started and let the members decide weather or not Rice high should be banned...
05-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #75
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Hey Chris, I found a ''hot pixel'' problem with my ''K1OOO.''

Here is the proof.


On a more serious note, I just spend the last 1/2 hour pixel peeping and I see no such issue with my K20D, In fact, after all the cropping and looking at these 100% crops, I am even more impressed by the K20D.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography, pixel, pixels, proof
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K20D - vertical bands, noise, and hot pixel problems... :-( pentaxmz Pentax DSLR Discussion 26 04-04-2012 04:33 AM
K20d Hot Pixel on v1.03 drndrw Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 03-10-2010 06:40 PM
K20D - Worth upgrading firmware if I have no hot pixel issues? NicholasN Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 01-07-2009 01:24 PM
Hot pixel issue duplicated BeerCan Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 05-26-2008 05:41 AM
Hot Pixels Issue of the K20D RiceHigh Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 05-09-2008 09:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top