Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well they could considder ordering a special for them designed sensor to stand apart from the rest. Starting a factory is not viable.

08-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I consider Pentax/Ricoh to be a camera and optics company vs. an electronics giant like Sony.
I agree. Sony also makes a lot of digital video gear (https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/ )
Don't forget - as a large chip maker, Sony sells these chips as a business, not just for internal use. Making sensors like the medium format, as well as K-3's APS-C is what that business line does, and Ricoh/Pentax basically shops out what sensors they want to use, or puts an order in to have a sensor made (not likely) or tweaked.
08-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I agree. Sony also makes a lot of digital video gear (https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/ )
Don't forget - as a large chip maker, Sony sells these chips as a business, not just for internal use. Making sensors like the medium format, as well as K-3's APS-C is what that business line does, and Ricoh/Pentax basically shops out what sensors they want to use, or puts an order in to have a sensor made (not likely) or tweaked.
I'm sure Sony at least a little bit in cahoots with Ricoh and others to figure out what their needs and market perceptions are. If everyone screamed at Sony that there is absolutely no space for a larger MF sized sensor but there's trillions of dollars elsewhere then Sony would oblige and follow the money. So, for as much as everyone competes they also work together a lot more than we can probably guess. Everyone rises and falls together here.
08-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Long live Sony sensors. Plus in my opinion Pentax has been able to make the most out of them or is it Fuji who makes the engine?
Although I am not sure, but people (me included) get Fuji and Fujitsu mixed up quite often, but they are different companies and products.

08-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Although I am not sure, but people (me included) get Fuji and Fujitsu mixed up quite often, but they are different companies and products.

And don't forget Fuji Heavy Industries! They make Subaru cars.
08-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh? Whatcha wanna bet that Canon's sensor expertise came from their long involvement in making digital copiers. Care to guess who is bigger in digital copiers than Canon?

Steve
wanna take a stab at the only mainline SLR company that isn't using a Sony sensor? Canon
wanna take a stab at the who is now 5 years behind in sensor tech? Canon
and canon is the most profitable camera maker, and yet they can't keep up with Sony's pace. Pentax needs to invest in lenses. The sensors are fine.
08-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
And don't forget Fuji Heavy Industries! They make Subaru cars.
...and earth movers...

Steve
08-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Unless they a) have sufficient market share across all segments and have other products that would justify volume in house, or b) they are willing to go after sales to at least one other sensor use (Nikon since canon makes their own) it is not profitable. Consider this, Nikon, don't make their own, canon do because they have other in house sensor users, (scanners copiers fax printers etc) and a well developed industrial. Base
Consider
  1. As a major manufacturer (perhaps the dominant manufacturer) of Photolithographic Steppers Nikon has extensive experience managing other aspects of light wavelengths which might very well transfer to photo sensors
  2. As long ago as 2011 it was reported that Nikon designs at least some of the sensors Sony manufactures for use in Nikon cameras. They're apparently not just stock Sony sensors.
Does Ricoh have resources and market presence similar to Nikon, does Ricoh have what looks like a parallel business structure to Canon, or perhaps does Ricoh have neither the depth of patents nor the business scale to emulate either Nikon or Canon?