Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
New camera features

Once you realize that you need certain camera settings with certain lenses, you start to try to memorize the last settings you used with whatever particular lens you happen to have slapped on it for the day. Or worse yet, you have multiple lenses with you and you change to another lens and start shooting with it only to realize that the photos you are taking suck because you forgot to change some setting or another. Or even WORSE than that, you find yourself not even grabbing a particular lens because you don't want to have to reset all the camera settings for only a couple of shots and then have to reset them back so you just don't do it.

When I really realized the need for a camera itself to help me with all this was when I got Q to play with. The user dial on the front made it easy to change some of the settings on the fly(not enough of them though) and it opened up a question in my mind...why not?

All the things our DSLR's can do, why don't they have a lens function? I should be able to stick a 50mm 1.4 on the camera intending to use it in doors without a flash, set all the camera's options to what I want them to be and save those options in a menu under the len's "name" so to speak...so that when I stick on some other lens, like a M series macro and change the camera's options for using it, I can always pop the 50mm 1.4 back on the camera, pull up the menu and select THAT lens and carry on.

Now I realize that you could just buy multiple bodies and set them up for a certain lens and just leave that lens on that body, or use the USER1,2,3 that some cameras have...but a programmable menu for say, 10 different lenses, that you can easily select which of those lenses you happen to have on the camera at the time that would set up all the various controls and setting options FOR THAT PARTICULAR LENS would be awesome...am I right?

08-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I got this idea along time ago - If a lens has an ID why not to have a settings with them...(if it could be saved into a lens for use with other body... ) I know..keep dreaming
08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
I got this idea along time ago - If a lens has an ID why not to have a settings with them...(if it could be saved into a lens for use with other body... ) I know..keep dreaming
I was thinking more like the body saved maybe 10-15 in a menu and you could go to the menu and select the lens you are going to use, but that's even better, the camera selects the correct setup when the lens is attached and the camera is turned on based on the lens ID and the settings you have saved for it.