Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Don't know what to call this thread...

...it's going to be a little all over the place.

BUT let me start off by saying, I loved my K-7... only thing that made me go K-5 was the better low light capability. The K-5 can shoot some very nice pictures in all sorts lighting, etc. I do still think the K-7 has made some great, maybe even better / sharper looking day shots than the K-5. My SIL is currently enjoying that camera.

The K-5 has been a mixed bag. Its had moments of software / hardware(?) quirkiness. The weather sealing has been suspect. The build quality just not as good (see previous two comments + recently the camera somehow losing the lens release button somewhere - so now I can't even change lenses).

Its at a point where it obviously needs service (I know I have no choice if I want my lens back) but I may just rather spend my money elsewhere. Prior to this last vacation (where I've definitely had a love / hate relationship with the K-5) I was tempted to step up to the K-3, particularly with that new Prestige model but luckily(?) it was not available.

Part of me has lost a little love for the platform and the other part trying to stick with it is still being a little practical by wondering about any new models waiting to be released. Both effectively sticking me in a holding pattern.

Any advice out there? K-3 owners, how has the build quality been? Is the K-3s (etc) or something better near? Those who own other platforms, why do you? Only thing that keeps me with Pentax besides of course the few lenses I do own, is the WR.

08-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from K10d to K-7 to K-3, so I can't comment on the K-5...
K-7 had very few or no reports of any quality problems, but I would say the K-3 is a noticeable step up again in quality over the K-7. Plus it's a near magic camera when it comes to exposure, white balance, auto focus, etc.... Ricoh has really made a winner. I had fretted about the huge file sizes and 24MP sounded way too much, but I'm now a convert to the advantages of higher resolution.
I thought about jumping ship, but my lenses made me stay. I'm very glad I got the K-3 and don't regret it at all. On the contrary, it's been a real joy.
08-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went k-5>k-5IIs>k-3

I thought the k-5 was a great camera, but the k-5IIs just seemed better built not sure why. The k-3 though is a clear step up in build quality, feel, fit & finish and especially responsiveness. The k-5 had it's share of issues, more than it should have IMHO. It seems all of those were fixed in the k-5IIs. The k-3 has had almost no problems from release on except for some reporting the mirror flapping. I've had that twice in just under 12,000 exposures.

Having used all three I can see a clear improvement in each camera in quality control. I think that is Ricoh taking control of manufacturing and tightening up the standards.
08-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

My route has been K7 - K5 - K3. For me the jump from 7 to 5 was because of the image quality when high ISO was required. But I did notice same QC issues you are facing. The lens release button fell off at some stage and I started to use first paper clip to replace it. Now I have more permanent fix (not good looking, but functional). Jumped to 3 mainly due to improved AF and it is really amazing camera. Have had no issues with it and the extra MPs are really nice also. Since K7 I have invested quite a lot to good lenses and K3 really shines with the best ones.
I still have all the cameras, my wife uses the K7. K5 is my backup camera and normally it sees some action during every phototrip. But the real workhorse is the K3; with long lenses for bird shots, wide angles for landscapes and with macro lenses for bugs and other stuff, getting imazing details.

08-24-2014, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think this is self doubt, "is the camera ive got holding me back".

Most photographers go through this, recognise it as a form of denial, work through your issues. The k5 is absolutely fabulous. Pressmen of a few years ago would have wet themselves over it.

Save a packet keep the k5 study more. Or buy some beer get drunk if you still want a k3 when your drunk as a skunk, go for it.
08-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
still being a little practical by wondering about any new models waiting to be released. Both effectively sticking me in a holding pattern.
The K7 was great. The K-3 is even greater. I never had a K-5, so can't comment on that one.

But, I learned long ago that it's pointless to wait for the next big thing. It will always be there, just out of reach. That holding pattern will stifle your creativity and cause you to lose out on making the most of your time.

I bought a new iPad Mini a couple of days ago, knowing full well that a new model will be announced in two weeks. Should I have waited? Nah, life's too short.
08-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
+ recently the camera somehow losing the lens release button somewhere - so now I can't even change lenses).

Its at a point where it obviously needs service (I know I have no choice if I want my lens back) but I may just rather spend my money elsewhere. Prior to this last vacation (where I've definitely had a love / hate relationship with the K-5) I was tempted to step up to the K-3, particularly with that new Prestige model but luckily(?) it was not available.
Re the loss of the lens release button, I've read other posts where this has happened and understand it's possible to use a pen(?) to operate the release. Worth a search here and other Pentax forums, and/or Google. Ok, doesn't address your issues or questions re the K3, but at least you'll be able to change lenses (and send off the body for repair?).
08-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I never had issues with the K5, but it really does feel to me as though Hoya cut corners making it. Ricoh really has tightened up quality control. There haven't been complaints either about the K5 II or the K3 (except for the mirror flapping thing, but I think that is more software issue and at this point is fixable).

Having used Nikon D7000/D7100, I can say that the build quality of those cameras isn't quite as solid as the K3, although both are very nice.

08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've used the K10D, K20D, K-5, K-5 II and K-3. I have never felt any of those lacking in build quality. The earlier models felt more "substantial" because of the weight, maybe that's a part of it for you. The K-3 which I currently own does not make me miss the K20D one second, they're just like two siblings.

that being said, the sensor in the K-5 and K-3 are significantly better than the sensor of the K-7. I'd never go back to the K20D's sensor now that I've tasted the K-3.