Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
battery charger

I'm thinking of getting a battery charger to charge my camera batter "on the go" from a car or a 12 V battery, all I found is this: Amazon.co.uk: BRAND NEW AC+DC/HOME+CAR BATTERY CHARGER FOR PENTAX OPTIO CAMERA MODEL S T20 WP: Electronics & Photo
which is for a pentax optio s t20 is that tyhe same battery as the k10D ?

05-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #2

I tend to just use a power inverter and plug in my regular wall-chargers (I have two). The charger doesn't draw all that much wattage and I can use the inverter to charge other items - like my laptop which i use for review.
05-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, go for an inverter. That way you can recharge all your gear like phones and laptops. Get a big inverter and you can boil a kettle for a brew as well!

Try Maplins, they have a decent range.

Maplin > 600W DC 12 V to AC 240 V Power Invertor

I use one of these and run my Cpap machine on it when I'm camping.
05-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a 1200W inverter in the van and I can even run a full size printer out of it (it helps having two batteries on the van), so, I would also suggest you get an inverter. Beside, they likely are cheaper than the battery charger itself and you might get more use out of it.

05-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok thanks for the suggestion I'm aware of inverters could somebody answer my original question though the portable charger is 10 rthe inverter is 35 and I'm not slinging an inverter over my shoulder thanks
05-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why would you sling the inverter over your shoulder? It would be in the car!
05-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well I was thinking very long walks but perhaps a spare camera battery or two would be best there. in anycase you are suggesting I buy an inverter just so I can plug in a small battery charger it would be a waste of equipment and a very ineficient way of converting power up to 240 volts and back down to 8, its much simpler to plug in a 12 volt charger to the car or other 12 battery in the event I am mobile in some other way why do I need another peice of totally unecesary equipment ? and again the original question still remains is that charger I linked to suitable for the battery of the K10D
05-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #8

AC/DC charger

Had a quick look for you on 7Dayshop and came across this little beauty USB/Mains/Car I've had no problems with 7Dayshop at all. Price, delivery and quality, all good. There are other types on there as well. Didn't search for the K10 battery type but for AA or AAA the one linked seems ok.
Hope it helps, Ray
PS Here's the one for the K10 (need a battery plate, also available from 7day) K10 charger

Last edited by gowerray; 05-11-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Adding info
05-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gowerray Quote
Had a quick look for you on 7Dayshop and came across this little beauty USB/Mains/Car I've had no problems with 7Dayshop at all. Price, delivery and quality, all good. There are other types on there as well. Didn't search for the K10 battery type but for AA or AAA the one linked seems ok.
Hope it helps, Ray
PS Here's the one for the K10 (need a battery plate, also available from 7day) K10 charger
thanks thats just what I need it looks to be the same as the one on amazon and cheaper but the different plates are highlighted as you buy the universal charger and the compatible plate
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The batteries used in the Optios are TOTALLY different from the K10D/K20D battery. The DSLR batteries couldn't possibly even fit in any Optio!

So a charger for Optio batteries is not going to work.
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
The batteries used in the Optios are TOTALLY different from the K10D/K20D battery. The DSLR batteries couldn't possibly even fit in any Optio!

So a charger for Optio batteries is not going to work.
ok thanks for that