Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDHC card speeds

Hi,

I have been been looking at SDHC cards and their relative speeds. I understand that class 2,4,6 and 10 are designed to sustain write speeds of 2MB/sec, 4MB/sec, 6MB/sec or 10MB/sec.

But here in the real world, what do we actually NEED for just still photography. We pay a premium for faster and faster cards but i'm not altogether convinced that everybody NEEDS or MUST have the latest and greatest class 10 cards.

So what are peoples thoughts?

08-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The difference between good fast cards (eg Sandisk Extreme Pro) and slow cards (eg Class 4 Sandisks) is real and noticeable, especially when shooting high speed bursts in AF.C. Even in reviewing images in playback, or copying them from card reader to PC.

There are few things more frustrating than having the camera grind to a halt while it completes it's card writes. Meanwhile, some great shots are passing you by.
08-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The class system is at this point quite outdated and you need to look deeper to really see the card speed. For example I use nothing but Sandisk Extreme Pro, but even with the same label I have cards that claim 45MB/s and others that claim 95MB/s, far in excess of the rated 10MB/s

If you are going by the class system I would not think of using anything other than class 10. I believe it was shown through tests that a class 6 card was adequate for the k-x and perhaps the k-5 but just barely and some class 6 cards were noticeably slower than the camera. Almost any class 10 cards should exceed the speed of the k-5. On k-3 I am not sure if a 10MB/s is still enough I have not seen any test results on that camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
But here in the real world, what do we actually NEED for just still photography. We pay a premium for faster and faster cards but i'm not altogether convinced that everybody NEEDS or MUST have the latest and greatest class 10 cards.
The 'premium' is not nearly as big as it once was. And I think at this point has little to do with the actual speed rating but more to do with the quality of the card. Which means that the lower rated cards are 'economy' brands or even containing chips that would not pass a higher speed test. I'm not going to risk an irreplaceable shot on a cheap memory card. YMMV of course, but if I have invested $1,000s in gear and even more in trip expenses I'm not shaving a few dollars on the memory card.
08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
I do use some Sandisk Extreme class 10s with my K30 but also have some class 6s Sandisks, I guess its worth investing in quality cards and going with high speed cards.

08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is two aspects of the memory card that you have to look at. Speed of the camera (write speed), and the speed at which you can retrieve your Images (Read speed). The camera may not need a high-speed card, but if you're trying to retrieve 1000 images or more from that card, you want the fastest card you can afford. And a USB 3 card reader. It does make a difference. Also,When I was doing film photography at least 50% of my budget was for film and developing. 100 rolls of 36 exposure film might cost you $15 each to 'purchase and develop'. That's $1500. Depending on the image sensor, A couple of memory cards (32 GB, 80 MB per second) That cost About $35 each can hold the same amount of Images. Even if you go to the highest-rated cards, You still come out a lot cheaper. and these cards are reusable. Note: There have been some members here that has said they have shot over 4000 frames in one day. I don't think they would be doing that if they were still using film. Get the fastest card that will work in your camera. You won't regret it. Stay safe and have fun. Joe.
08-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It does depend somewhat on the camera you are using. The K30/50 probably maxes out with the Extreme 45mb/second card. Even the better class 10 cards nearly match it. I've done some testing. Going any higher won't make a bit of difference on those bodies, but you have a quicker write speed and bigger buffer with the K-3. For those who really do shoot thousands of images a day, the fastest cards are a good idea simply because you benefit in writing the images to your computer (assuming you're using USB 3.0).
08-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I used a so-so card from my K2000 in my Q this past weekend. Bad idea.
08-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I run a Panasonic class 10 card in the Q. Those are a good value, sourced from Japan. Not sure going any faster will benefit speed in a Q. I've done video with that card in the Q and it seems to work just fine - not that I would do serious video on a Q.