Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
just rent what you think might be a better fit for you and decide for yourself.
I've spent time with the Nikons over the years and have found I much prefer the menu navigation, button location, and general in-hand feel of Pentax. Comparing specs, I have yet to find a feature that Nikon does better that is important to me. As a landscape shooter, I do not need more AF points nor faster AF, so these things are lost on me and Pentax wins at pretty much everything else by comparison.
I also have some $40 prime lenses that are unique to Pentax and perform as well as more expensive glass.
And now two of my Nikon-shooting friends have gotten cameras wet while shooting(D810 & D7100) which rendered them inoperable which really makes me question the weather sealing by the competition.
Just try before you buy. Good luck.

08-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

...the grass is always greener on the other side it seems but in reality it's not so much the equipment it is the photographer and the processing of photos.
I have seen some incredible images taken with $200 & $300 point & shoot cameras....
Go out there and take photos of what you enjoy.
08-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

If I shot more big bike races like I did last week I'd probably be looking for something with better AF and flash features (like a faster sync speed and/or more consistency).

But most of my photos aren't of fast moving cyclists from the back of a motorcycle. Most (of the ones I'm proud of) are from a tripod, often shot all alone in the quiet wilderness, where I'd usually prefer to be. In these cases a better flash (or any flash much of the time) or faster, more accurate AF wouldn't do anything for me. I'd have a heavier, more expensive kit that may not stand up to the elements as well. I'd be paying more to get IS in the lenses too.

But if Velo News offered me a job tomorrow shooting cycling all the time, I'd be out shopping for another system. I kind of doubt that will be happening anytime soon so for now I'll still with what gets me the shots I like and need most of the time for what I consider to be a pretty reasonable price.
08-29-2014, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...the grass is always greener on the other side it seems but in reality it's not so much the equipment it is the photographer and the processing of photos. I have seen some incredible images taken with $200 & $300 point & shoot cameras.... Go out there and take photos of what you enjoy.
Good pictures are taken by good photographers.
Good photographers can do this also with bad cameras.

Bad pictures are taken by bad photographers, they can also do this with good cameras.

08-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Good pictures are taken by good photographers.
Good photographers can do this also with bad cameras.

Bad pictures are taken by bad photographers, they can also do this with good cameras.
...and sometimes good pictures are taken by bad photographers who get lucky...LOL
08-29-2014, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

More often then not, it is true that the equipment does not "make" the photos. The camera only "takes" photos.

Recently I have been re-arraging my library and I am working on making a "best of 2014, part 2" 8x10 photo book (as a gifts for relatives). And as I am going through my pictures and picking the best of the best... something hit me... so far, out of about 50 pictures, a little more than 20 were shot with my $200 Q, with the $60 Toy Fisheye or the 02 zoom. This thing (the Q) goes against a K3 c/w Sigma 35 and DA* zooms.

So there you have it, a $260, 12mp, microscopically sensored camera yield just as many "keepers" as the $1500, 24mp, APSC DSLR , with no AA filter, and with premium $1000 glass.

Sure on larger format prints the K3 would have an edge on IQ, resolution and sharpness but every time it just brings back the inevitable fact that the camera itself has very little to do with the results.

To get back at the OP original post, there is nothing wrong with what he's got. A solid AF prime (even a DA50 or DA35) would help for sure but the Tamron 17-50 renders beautifully when handled correctly.
08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Simply put, yes Pentax is best bang for the buck!! Yes there are better systems out there but you will pay more for them. If you need better then go for it. What you lose is an amazing number of used lenses to choose from cheap! Check out ShopGoodwill.com. They have lots of good Pentax stuff cheap! Same goes for good tripods. So far I have found five good ones for about $15 each! I know that's off topic but too cool to keep to myself!
Anyway you wont get the quality and durability for a competitive price with another system. My opinion of course, but I have no beef with the direction of Pentax.
08-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is pain? A good example might be the first time I attempted to photograph bicycle racing with my K10D. I soon learned that AF-C on that camera was far too slow for the sport and the tracking ability not so good.
Yep. Had the same experience - except I was at my boss's Row House in a 1900 neighborhood when the cyclists looped by (5 times x 4 classes) and he was shooting the best at the time Nikon.

It was truly embarrassing. So I stuck to the strengths of the gear I had - colors and carefully composed landscapes.

Sometimes the answer is changing your goals to suit your gear - it can be easier and less costly. I borrowed a D800 and a 28~70 for a weekend and I didn't like it at all. I could do many things I was not able to do with Pentax - AF in particular - but I didn't enjoy the camera so I decided to stick with Pentax and make do. That's actually an answer for you. Now I'm cutting back my ridiculous lens bag so I can actually learn to use a small number of good lenses. That also helps. You'll need to do that anyway if you switch.

Here's the rub - I don't care what I shoot. I shoot what I can and what my equipment allows me to do well (to my ability). K-3 has opened some things up, and the FA43, but a KX, K50 and TMAX will do enough on any given day. I don't need to shoot running children or soccer games or airshows or strobist to be happy with my photos.

Maybe that's weird.

08-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep. Had the same experience - except I was at my boss's Row House in a 1900 neighborhood when the cyclists looped by (5 times x 4 classes) and he was shooting the best at the time Nikon.
There is more to that story. The cameras at the time (all brands) had fairly poor high ISO and poor AF performance in low light. The light was fading and the guys with the big white lenses were packing up their kit. I was able to keep shooting with the K10D using manual focus with the FA 77/1.8 Limited. Yes, I shot sports with the 77 Limited...pre-focus, pan, and pray.

f/4.5, 1/180s, ISO 400, Manual focus, single-shot mode

Steve
08-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Cxdoo,

I think a lot of the Nikon lens attitude is a matter of brand loyalty (we have it here, as well, but not to such a degree). Most of the Nikon glass can be matched by Pentax. This probably is not quite so true with Canon L telephoto - that is a step up (then again Pentax and Nikon has better wide wide glass overall). As for flash, yes Nikon for pre-flash TTL is best especially for multi-flash - but still not ideal. Pick up a cheap flash that includes Auto - and you will be fine in most situations (various bounce aids can help avoid need for multi-flash). Unfortunately, the entire K-5 series included the newer units such as yours were plagued with pTTL flash issues never fully addressed. Any later processor (K-30/50/500, K-01 or K-3) will do much better with pTTL. Again, still not great, but probably the best option for macro work if nothing else.

If I was pro shooting fast action, I would have to be in Canon. If I was a wedding photographer wanting to do complicated flash (not my thing - prefer ambient) - Nikon. If I absolutely loved retro look, small form factor and still needed at least some WR - Fuji would be tempting (but limited and expensive). For almost all kinds of typical shooting, I don't know of a good reason to move away from Pentax.
08-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Simply put, yes Pentax is best bang for the buck!! Yes there are better systems out there but you will pay more for them. If you need better then go for it. What you lose is an amazing number of used lenses to choose from cheap! Check out ShopGoodwill.com. They have lots of good Pentax stuff cheap! Same goes for good tripods. So far I have found five good ones for about $15 each! I know that's off topic but too cool to keep to myself!
Anyway you wont get the quality and durability for a competitive price with another system. My opinion of course, but I have no beef with the direction of Pentax.
Used Nikon lenses is cheap too, also Canon can mount any old lenses other than its own old mount. The thing iwth Canikon is that it's easy to find a local deal, something that's hard to say with Pentax (I dont think I've bought a single used pentax lens locally)

Pentax is the only one that offers SR for manual and old lenses though

QuoteQuote:
Most of the Nikon glass can be matched by Pentax.
Disagree, one simple reason being that Nikon has FF. Even without considering equivalence, Nikon still has some pretty sweet stuff that Pentax doesnt have (and so does Pentax with the Limiteds and WR lenses). In a way though, most of a brand's offering can be mostly duplicated in another brand, but there are always a few exclusive lenses that sells that particular brand. Everyone's shooting preferences differ though, so I guess use the brand that works the best for you

Last edited by Andi Lo; 08-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.
09-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I dont think I've bought a single used pentax lens locally)
Must be the difference in location, I find local Pentax deals periodically and Canikon is plentiful but overpriced for used items. Way overpriced! Must be an Iowa thing!
09-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Must be the difference in location, I find local Pentax deals periodically and Canikon is plentiful but overpriced for used items. Way overpriced! Must be an Iowa thing!
Yeah, that might be the case I do notice though that canikon folks grossly overprice their used stuff WAY more often.... the deals do come up though, just because the volume is high

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
09-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thx Andi Lo and ScooterMaxi Jim for contributing to the discussion in a direction I wanted it to go.

The thing is, we are a very diverse bunch here, with different expectations and capacities to try and see for ourselves. I live in a very small country, with limited-to-inexistent options to try/see/rent. From the other thread I learned a lot of people are in a similar position. On top of that, I'm not a professional, so even though I'd like to have, say, Digitalis' experience with different systems, that's just not going to happen.

So amid all this Pentax bashing, I thought that maybe someone will step up and elaborate on why and how system X might be better (which is almost always bang/buck) than what I have now. Yeah I could always go to Nikon/Canon forums and ask them to bring me to the right path, but I want to hear from people that have extensive experience with Pentax too. Someone who knows Nikon midrange zooms compared to Pentax ones. Someone who shot both K3 and D7100.

So, for the sake of argument, how does Nikon equivalent of K5II + Tamrons compare cost-wise to Pentax? Then, how convenient/cheap is it to expand on that with primes at specific points? 30ish, 50ish, 85ish and so on. Assuming they have to be straight out bought (new or used), no rentals, trials or other first world benefits. We're talking about relatively average income, married(!) people, so the prices should not exceed 500 EUR/USD per lens on a regular basis (read one or two lenses a year), and absolutely not exceed 1000ish EUR/USD (read not going to happen because my wife will kill me )
Then the same for any other system you see being better than Pentax. This I believe would be much more constructive and would help many of us to understand better weaknesses or strengths of the system available.

My hunch is there is no such system NOW where use case as mine is significantly cheaper/better-for-the-same-money than others (including Pentax), contrary to 2007 when Pentax was by far the best value for money in my circumstances.
09-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Went with Nikon D600, it was cheaper and the Dual SD slot won me over. All the above issues I mentioned are now solved.

I miss pentax limiteds and pentax colors, but it sure is nice not having to tweak white balance too much in post, and not having to start my lightroom session deleting shots that are not in focus, since most of them are in focus.

I dont miss SR as much as I thought I would, due to gaining alot of ISO headroom for higher shutter speed. (I only have one VR lens so far)
Hmmm, I never have to tweak my white balance too much (though it's always worth playing with it no matter what camera you have IMO). Also, I'm a little puzzled about your comment about having to delete so many "out of focus shots" every time you begin editing. I don't know what you've been doing, but I shoot totally manually because that's the way I am, and I very rarely get a focus wrong. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't the camera you were using that was the problem???

Im happy for you with your nikon, but worry about it a little because you are still getting some shots out of focus. Seems a lot of money to spend just to find out you might need to learn better basic camera skills???!

I don't have a nice camera like the k5, and cut my pentax teeth on a k100d which has a smaller, dimmer, harder to see viewfinder. It didn't stop me though. As for dual sd slot, wouldn't that just mean you can back up all those out of focus shots??