Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #61
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If the camera is liked by potential buyers and perceived to be priced right, it will sell provided people ever hear about it. Actually, the worst publicity at all would be for people to think it's too expensive. Only Ricoh can control that.
You're right - your criticism has been reasoned and level. I disagree with a lot of it - but so what?

Very early on - say on day two - I wrote Ricoh would sell boatloads (literally) of these cameras in Asia but I didn't expect it to sell well here unless they got distribution in box stores. What's the likelihood of that happening without sell-through advertising to support the box stores?

In one way I empathize with RIAC - they simply aren't given the tools necessary to succeed in this market. OTOH what appears to be their attempt to recast the branding to USA tastes, which emphasizes the LED's and smartphone users, has simply enraged the mebers here.

If one reads the spec.'s this is a very capable camera. The Forum has convinced me there is a use for a hinged LCD - if its needed on a 645Z why not on a K-3 and a K-S1? I still don't agree with Wi-Fi.

09-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
You're not the target customer. It's pretty safe to say, none of us are.
The target is twofold: people who want a new Pentax but don't need or want more than the KS1 offers (it has good specs); people who walk into a store and say, "I'm here to buy a camera."
09-01-2014, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
The target is twofold: people who want a new Pentax but don't need or want more than the KS1 offers (it has good specs); people who walk into a store and say, "I'm here to buy a camera."
Exactly... my wife is shooting with a K-5, she looks at my K-3 (AF and MP) and the upgrades just aren't in areas she's interested in. She came to her K-5 from a K-x... so who knows, the KS-1 might be something she's interested in. If it can match the K-5 in DR and has the improved AF, it might be of interest to her when the price drops to say $650. That's a great price for an upgrade from an $1100 camera. Just the K-5 is so good for her, she doesn't shoot action, doesn't need fast AF, loves the DR , colour reproduction and noise characteristics of the K-5, for her, the things she wants, are the things the K-3 didn't improve.
09-01-2014, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Yeah, good point. I guess I should amend my statment to say: "You're not the target customer for that feature."

I could see myself buying one of these if it comes down in price, as it's smaller than my K-5II, has flucard support, and it might produce better images. The Disco-LEDs don't influence me either way.

09-01-2014, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the LEDs are a cool touch IF they have a useful purpose.
09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think the LEDs are a cool touch IF they have a useful purpose.
I don't think they have to be all that useful -- they're a little bit whimsical and in Apple-y terms, an example of "surprise and delight" -- something your device does that's cute and unexpected.

If they want to make it even better, I said it before and I'll say it again: The LEDs flashing to the beat of the surrounding music would be a simple firmware addition, and silly enough that people would dig it. If you're going to add something as ridiculous as LEDs to the handgrip, go all out and make it completely ridiculous.
09-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

When it was first suggested that the LEDs might be a countdown display, I thought of all the family-in-front-of-the-Christmas-tree photos and all the travel look-how-big-this-thing-is-compared-to-me shots over the decades, and it seemed like a clever idea - more intuitive than "blink-blink-blinkblinkblink". I now know that my family and I were doing "selfies" long before there were hipsters or digital cameras or cell phones, and I can be properly ashamed.
09-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #68
Site Supporter

I would probably buy a KS1 if It weren't for the fact that I want a second K3 body.

09-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #69
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hostility towards Pentax has always been a part of the forum, I used to get annoyed by it. To me, it's an odd person that chooses a brand, and then gets annoyed because it isn't everything they want. I tell them to go buy something else, but they'd rather gripe.
Probably a little insecurity underlying the Pentax-bashing. I suspect the reasoning is along these lines:
"By buying Pentax, I've stepped outside the mainstream. I want my choice to be validated.That's why I read reviews of every lens and camera (and car and appliance) I have bought, AFTER I bought it. I live in fear the brand will die. I will be left with the equivalent of the Beta video recorder. Worse, other people will make fun of me. So my ego is tied to the brand. It hurts when Pentax do something I don't like (K-S1), or don't do something I want. So I trash them. It makes me feel better, like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum. It's not about Pentax, it's about me."

It may be irritating, but I think it is a minority. Most PF contributors are positive. Read this thread as a whole and you will see. (I've enjoyed some of the cracks about the LEDs and I am still laughing at the exchange about hypothetical questions.) And for every contributor to a thread there are 5 others who read posts by silverbacks like Norm (or, I should add, wise elephant matriarchs) and say to themselves, "I'm glad I came here, I always learn something".

Last edited by Des; 09-02-2014 at 01:55 AM.
09-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #70

Google translate:

For those who wonder what role the 5 LEDs on the grip, Pentax describes their functionality as follows: LEDs change color depending on the use of the device (P / Sv / Tv / Av), are red during movie shooting and running timer indicates when shooting with the timer for 10 seconds. So, here they though and a practical role not only design, although it is quite limited.