Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The LEDs look sort of cool on the shelf, but what Ricoh didn't realize was that the lights are completely covered up when the camera is being held- so there go the attention-grabbing fancies!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2014, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
It's for sending remote commands to KIT.
You mean KITT?

Oh man, if there is a firmware upgrade to put William Daniels voice in there I am _so_ pre-ordering.

Or maybe a '70's Cylon voice...

I guess that's why they keep the firmware closed source, and why we can't have nice things.
08-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Ricoh looked at this stupid mug and thought, hmm, they can put lights on that, interesting!
08-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The LEDs look sort of cool on the shelf, but what Ricoh didn't realize was that the lights are completely covered up when the camera is being held- so there go the attention-grabbing fancies!
If it is a count down timer, it'll probably be on a tripod with you in the picture and with all the lights flashing you would not have to tell everybody to smile..., actually a good way to take group shots with everyone looking at the camera at the same time....

08-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No touch screen - hooray

I'm so glad this doesn't have a touch screen ... my P'n'S Lumix is great but I keep randomly changing settings if my finger or thumb strays across the screen ... if there's a way of switching it off I haven't found it YET?
Only thing I can see wrong with K-S1 is the price point, too much for the camera phone upgrader and not enough new features for the typical forum member.
08-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #21

Big deal, my Minolta X-700 has a flashing red LED on the front for the self-timer countdown. Just turn them off if you don't like it.

If you spend a lot of time looking at the front of your camera you just need a smartphone for your "selfies", not a DSLR.
08-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so hopefully those lights are just for a self-timer notification and won't actually be visible other than when the timer is counting down.
I hope that this isn't Ricoh's "Ace in the Hole" at Photokina next month because it will be a big disappointment to a lot of Pentaxians....

08-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think Pentax was thinking that it didn't want to make just another black blob like the Canon and Nikon "entry level" APS-C DSLRs for 2014. And I think they did an elegant job of it. In particular, compare the button-riddled back of the Nikon with how Pentax achieves much the same functionality in a more fluid, better-labeled, less button-happy way. People have been flaming the K-S1, but seemingly in isolation of what similar cameras from other makers look like by comparison. Is the K-S1 what you in particular want, or what you think Pentax should have done? Maybe not. Is it a better at-bat than the other APS-C DSLRs for 2014? I think clearly so.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I truly don't mean to be impolite in pointing this out, but your comment is too naive by half. There is no conceivable way that the K-S1 designers were unaware of the point you suggest. If very many people similarly think at this level about professional design work, it is no wonder that new camera designs get flamed.
Attached Images

08-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I hope that this isn't Ricoh's "Ace in the Hole" at Photokina next month because it will be a big disappointment to a lot of Pentaxians....
Disappointment? Maybe you're looking for the wrong things. Maybe what you are hinting at won't be there. But

Lenses. Maybe fast lenses. Maybe with undocumented large image circles.

Maybe a real mid-range traditional dSLR (K-S1 is a different paradigm) with some new, edgy feature.

And a lot of Q-S1's and K-S1's and 645Z's on the counter. It should be a pretty full booth with important visitors.
08-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
You mean KITT?
Yea, that's what I meant.
Attached Images

08-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
You're not the target customer. It's pretty safe to say, none of us are.
Bobdobbs is absolutely right. We are not the target customers for this camera! It is an entry-level camera designed to introduce new users to Pentax. If they are interested in coloured bodies (and we know they are) and attracted by coloured lights, then Ricoh are doing exactly the right thing.
08-30-2014, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

Today, many people call themselves photographers. Many of those people use phones, some of them use point and shoot, and many use entry-level dslrs. Many of these people that call themselves photographers will buy a camera, their pictures won't get enough likes on instagram, so they'll buy a different camera hoping it will help. They'll eventually list all their camera gear on craigslist and proclaim that they have "retired" from photography and move on to something else. These people buy more cameras than the average working photographer.

I make a living taking pictures and selling prints. Although I bought a K-3, I've been making more money on my photos than I spend on cameras or lenses. That's how I pay the bills, by spending less and making more.

To ask a corporation to cater to the "professional" market is asking them to sell one camera per person every three to five years - they would go out of business! OF COURSE their target market is wanna-be hipsters with rich parents who will buy a camera because it makes them look more unique. These cameras, much like the Canon Rebel line and the Nikon D7186982349862394623 plastic hunks, are designed to be bought en masse by people who will most likely put them on a shelf to impress their friends - it's actually really cool that companies are giving these bodies the capability to produce nice images in the first place.

What was Ricoh thinking? They were thinking "Let's make a camera that people will buy to impress their friends by using an outlandish design, but let's give it the capability to actually make a good image."

I don't know why everyone is complaining, if they want to spend money trying a new marketing strategy in this new, and really stupid, camera economy it shows, at the very least, that they have enough money to blow on an attempt that has a good chance of completely failing. It tells me that Ricoh has some extra cash, and won't be closing the doors any time soon.
08-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

"What was Ricoh Thinking?"

I think they hit the mark with the LED's and the camera as a whole.
08-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
I don't know why everyone is complaining, if they want to spend money trying a new marketing strategy in this new, and really stupid, camera economy it shows, at the very least, that they have enough money to blow on an attempt that has a good chance of completely failing. It tells me that Ricoh has some extra cash, and won't be closing the doors any time soon.
If PF is any indication we're helping it to fail in the USA. Hell, we're pushing it over the cliff.
08-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fortunately, perhaps, the purported target market for the K-S1 won't even know this Forum exists. I sincerely doubt the moans and derision from here about the K-01 had any significant effect on its sales in the US or anywhere else. The same can be said for the Q, which unlike the K-01 appears to have been a success, in spite of its equally poor reception by the majority of commentators here. In both cases, it might even have piqued a bit of perverse interest in the cameras.