Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'll be monitoring the selfie/ mirror shot count on flickr once this camera gets released to get an idea of the demographics of the K-S1.

The colourful little K-x - which this camera resembles in many positive ways - was very popular with people of all ages, but particularly women it seemed at the time. (Pic below related). Many were to be seen mounting older Pentax lenses and were taking great photos with the camera.

If the distinctive design of the K-S1 allows it to follow in the same path as the K-x as a 'gateway' to the brand, it will be a good result for Pentax.

08-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now, that's an interesting bit of market research, rawr. Of course, it runs counter to the pessimistic line too often peddled here that anything with the Pentax brand on should only be for "serious" photographers. Self-portraiture is a stream of art that has a long and honourable history, after all!
08-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

The K-x wasn't just popular with women, of course, although they did seem to be the most enthusiastic users of the camera.

08-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
There is no conceivable way that the K-S1 designers were unaware of the point you suggest.
You would be surprised....that's all I can say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's true I am stunned. That was my very first thought - and why I immediately assumed they were a purpose item (countdown timer - the face detection thing is a pretty creative extension) instead of a decoration.
08-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #36
Forum Member

Considering the camera has built-in mics, I don't see why the LEDs couldn't flash with the beat of the music in the room. Now that would be sumthin'.
08-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
Bobdobbs is absolutely right. We are not the target customers for this camera! It is an entry-level camera designed to introduce new users to Pentax. If they are interested in coloured bodies (and we know they are) and attracted by coloured lights, then Ricoh are doing exactly the right thing.
My mom instantly liked this camera, I have never seen her in a DSLR ever, she has been using a canon point and shoot for yrs, I am very surprised, if not for having to run an important errand, she would of ordered it right there and she is 70. She likes to take photos for use in painting and pastels, she wants to improve the quality of her photos and liked the idea of being able to use a macro lens. She will have a new addiction, maybe LBA.

08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

This is the most curious and most puzzling post ever on PF.
08-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I know I'd be surprised, and I used to teach engineering and industrial design, though admittedly not in Japan. However, while Japanese companies may be sometimes known for their odd (to Western eyes) styling they are not known for ignorance of the basic tenets of human interface design.
08-31-2014, 01:53 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Word is that both Sony and Nikon are scrambling to release several me-too models
As you appear to have an inside track on such matters, we'll all just watch this space for further updates.
08-31-2014, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

OK, here's what I care about.... what is this new 20 MP sensor like? As for the rest of it, really, who cares. It's a camera. What possible harm could a few LEDs do to anyone? What the heck is wrong with people?
08-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What possible harm could a few LEDs do to anyone? What the heck is wrong with people?
A form of solipsism I suppose. Just because the don't like something they feel everybody else has to feel the same.

What's the big deal? John Carlson of Ricoh Imaging in the
video says "all these indicators can be turned off".

Judging from the number of threads and posts on the K-S1 I'd say this camera has already generated a lot of interest.
08-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #43
Forum Member

What is most interesting about these posts is how hostile most of the posters are to Ricoh/Pentax. Here and in other parts of the forum many posters seem contemptuous of the company, and to seek to see it fail. I wonder why?
08-31-2014, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Hostility towards Pentax has always been a part of the forum, I used to get annoyed by it. To me, it's an odd person that chooses a brand, and then gets annoyed because it isn't everything they want. I tell them to go buy something else, but they'd rather gripe.

It begs the question, is it possible to own a Pentax without trashing it all the time? Personally I'd like to see the first phase of moderation be excessive bashing of the brand. On the other sites I go to, there is no bashing of Pentax or any other brand. People just share pictures etc. Only on the Pentax forum is the unreasonable and pointless bashing of Pentax a daily feature of the site. It doesn't have to be that way....
08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #45
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hostility towards Pentax has always been a part of the forum, I used to get annoyed by it. To me, it's an odd person that chooses a brand, and then gets annoyed because it isn't everything they want. I tell them to go buy something else, but they'd rather gripe.

It begs the question, is it possible to own a Pentax without trashing it all the time? Personally I'd like to see the first phase of moderation be excessive bashing of the brand. On the other sites I go to, there is no bashing of Pentax or any other brand. People just share pictures etc. Only on the Pentax forum is the unreasonable and pointless bashing of Pentax a daily feature of the site. It doesn't have to be that way....
+1

It seems more that a little weird to buy into a brand that you know doesn't make the product you want, and then you start bashing that brand for not making what they don't make, never have made, and never have given any indication of planning to make. I suspect that the explanation isn't too far away, though. Blaming the camera/lens/flash system/LED lights is easier than to face the fact that you just aren't a very good photographer.

I prefer to try to improve my skills instead. I might not succeed but I do try. And I don't live under any delusion of being held back by my camera.