Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I was referring to those mentioned on their main page as well. Didn't you see that there were photographers among them? In other words, your preconceived notions are at work here - nothing more.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 14:01 ----------

Another reason for buying this camera. One of its kind DSLR.
No, I didn't look at the individuals (the popups didn't show on my phone) ... I was referring to those professions in the blue text. I'm sure there are lots of camera owners among their ranks, and I see they do digital media, so some real ones too...

But they may not have been listened to during the development cycle, or the mandate was for something more ... fun (?)

And yes, it is my preconceived notion that a camera that more closely resembles an '80's sneaker or '90's boombox should be the entry-level unit. Ever since they started releasing the multi-colored bodies it seems like they are making an effort to bring the dslr experience to those that don't want an expensive 'big black box'. Compared with the K-3 and 645D and Z it seems like Pentax is two companies. Maybe the newer lineup isn't finished building out yet. I hope.

And it is unique, and I guess if it sells well and turns out to be more 'approachable' that's a good thing overall. Really!

08-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
I thought we had all agreed in retrospect that the K-01
Count me out.
08-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I accept the fact that companies need to change with the times in order to stay relevant and get new business (and attract new customers) but I also believe that hiring these people to design a camera is like asking a pizza delivery guy to design a new F1 race car. Sure, a pizza guy understands the need to drive fast in order to make deliveries, but he doesn't know nearly enough to design a quality F1 car.

You would think the overwhelmingly harsh criticisms about the design of the K-01 would make Pentax (Ricoh) focus on building cameras designed by photographers ... but I guess some people never learn.

Sure, I bought a pair of K-01s when they were selling for $200 a pop because they are throw-away camera bodies with great image quality, but even then I recognize that my K-7 and K-5 IIs are superior cameras (image quality in the K-01 is better than the K-7, but the K-7 is a better overall camera).

I'm sure the K-S1 will deliver great image quality just like the K-01 does ... but it's another fugly camera made by hipsters who shouldn't be designing cameras. I seriously doubt the K-S1 will sell in any decent numbers until Ricoh puts it on closeout a year from now to liquidate all the inventory that never sold.

Hey, Ricoh, maybe next time you should try consulting with real photographers who understand the ergonomics of camera bodies, button placement, and the features that matter to PHOTOGRAPHERS. Hint ... colored LEDs as decorative accents on a camera body isn't anywhere on a photographer's wish list.

Too bad there isn't an emoticon to flip the bird to Ricoh's corporate office.
08-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Hey, Ricoh, maybe next time you should try consulting with real photographers who understand the ergonomics of camera bodies, button placement, and the features that matter to PHOTOGRAPHERS. Hint ... colored LEDs as decorative accents on a camera body isn't anywhere on a photographer's wish list.

Y'know, it may have been a result of the Hoya times that there was a shift in body design / ergonomics and which department (or design company) was responsible. I delayed in purchasing the K-5 because I didn't like the cramped feel, even though it's roughly the same size as the older bodies. It's my primary camera now, but I like shooting the K10D and K20D more in terms of ergonomics. And the K10D's CCD is the shizzle, at least in daylight.

I shoot with just a hand strap / wrist strap (if I clip it around my wrist) and hitting the ISO button on the K-5 is a major pain. It's like they didn't try the body with the available accessories.

(and I was going to add a tagged 'www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/double-finger.gif' in your quote with a 'There, I fixed it for ya', but that might get me banned... )

08-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am so embarrassed for my neighbors on the other side of Columbia River. Ziba is a Portland-based company.

Steve
08-30-2014, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1 and The Hippiest Hip Hipsters of All.

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
And it is unique, and I guess if it sells well and turns out to be more 'approachable' that's a good thing overall. Really!
We are oh so smug and condescending and dismissive of the great mass of consumers who buy things that suit their needs and wants and lifestyles - the great unwashed, middle-class masses of the entire world. Poor things just don't have the education, skill, experience and taste to know how to make a good decision about how to buy a Pentax camera, but we, the CREDENTIALED ELITE, DO have those critical, high-status elements of character. So we'll just need to make all their camera-buying decisions for them.

Of course we can't control the decisions of that pesky little imaging division of some huge office machine company in the even-more-benighted suburban Tokyo, so we'll all band together and loudly and aggressively 'Other' anything they try that contradicts our carefully thought out world view.

We'll assassinate its character over and over and over, point by point, in and on every media outlet there is. We'll poison the market and strike fear in the hearts of any retailer who thinks to possibly order a shipment. STRIKE. FEAR. IN. THEIR. HEARTS!!!

We'll totally and completely 'Un-Cool' this edgy idea before it has a chance to catch on.

Yeah. That's the ticket. We'll make that evil hociR toe our line. Cameras are for PHOTGRAPHERS!!! They're supposed to be TOOLS!!! A camera is not a TOY!!! With FLASHING SELFIE LIGHTS!!!! Consumer cameras must have WiFi because all the little people want WiFi for their little selfies.

And TouchScreen technology - I mean just really. Steve Jobs already figured that one out.

Why can't Ricoh just do what we decided?

Poor Ricoh. Whiffed again.

Quoth the hippiest hip hipsters of all.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-01-2014 at 07:57 PM.
08-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I accept the fact that companies need to change with the times in order to stay relevant and get new business (and attract new customers) but I also believe that hiring these people to design a camera is like asking a pizza delivery guy to design a new F1 race car. Sure, a pizza guy understands the need to drive fast in order to make deliveries, but he doesn't know nearly enough to design a quality F1 car.

You would think the overwhelmingly harsh criticisms about the design of the K-01 would make Pentax (Ricoh) focus on building cameras designed by photographers ... but I guess some people never learn.

Sure, I bought a pair of K-01s when they were selling for $200 a pop because they are throw-away camera bodies with great image quality, but even then I recognize that my K-7 and K-5 IIs are superior cameras (image quality in the K-01 is better than the K-7, but the K-7 is a better overall camera).

I'm sure the K-S1 will deliver great image quality just like the K-01 does ... but it's another fugly camera made by hipsters who shouldn't be designing cameras. I seriously doubt the K-S1 will sell in any decent numbers until Ricoh puts it on closeout a year from now to liquidate all the inventory that never sold.

Ricoh has probably decided that most folks like you, who get physically ill at the sight of a device that doesn't neatly fit into preconceived notions, or isn't heavily retro-styled, has already settled into Canikon. They're making cameras for people who don't think a 1950s Leica is and always will be what every good camera has to try to look like.

When you're talking about pizza guys designing cars, I think what you're looking for is every car designer striving to make a black BMW 3-series. If it doesn't look like a 50-year-old white guy in a three-piece suit would love it, it can't be a serious thing, can it?

08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Forum Member

What I find funny is the retro craze is typically scoffed at as being a hipster movement, but if Pentax were to make an APC-C retro-bodied mirrorless, i.e., the elusive K1000D, in the same vein as the Fuji X-T1, I'd bet (1) you'd hear nary a cry on its styling, except from maybe the super-jaded (*cough*Tom Hogan*cough*) and (2) it would sell like icewater in Hades.

I have no idea how challenging it would be to make such a camera at a price point which makes a profit, or what's more, Ricoh's market strategy, but it sure seems to me like they might be over-thinking the problem. Or, just as likely, one of Ricoh's product managers has the hots for some multiply-pierced and tatooed industrial designer at Shiba.
08-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
What I find funny is the retro craze is typically scoffed at as being a hipster movement, but if Pentax were to make an APC-C retro-bodied mirrorless, i.e., the elusive K1000D, in the same vein as the Fuji X-T1, I'd bet (1) you'd hear nary a cry on its styling, except from maybe the super-jaded (*cough*Tom Hogan*cough*) and (2) it would sell like icewater in Hades.

I have no idea how challenging it would be to make such a camera at a price point which makes a profit, or what's more, Ricoh's market strategy, but it sure seems to me like they might be over-thinking the problem. Or, just as likely, one of Ricoh's product managers has the hots for some multiply-pierced and tatooed industrial designer at Shiba.
Maybe we're all just a bunch of arrogant prigs.
08-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe we're all just a bunch of arrogant prigs.
...who spend more time whinging on forums than taking pictures.
08-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WTH is whinging?
08-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Banned

Looks like a fun group of people.
08-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #28
Unregistered User

WTH is whinging?
whinge
Mainly brit variant of to b*tch, whine, complain.
Quit yer whinging and go to sleep.
08-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
Forum Member

WTH is whinging?
whinge verb \ˈhwinj, ˈwinj\
: to complain in an annoying way

Whinge - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
08-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WTH is whinging?
Speech impediment American. i.e. Centre, Colour, Fibre etc...

It's like calling a sweater a jumper or sneakers trainers.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-30-2014 at 12:00 PM.