Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'd rather have a LX-D.
That works for me as well. Furthermore, stuff a full-frame sensor in it (with an APS-C crop mode for the DA lenses we all own) and charge $2K, body only. Is Ricoh so poor that we need to launch a Kickstarter for them to get this rolling?

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 07:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I don't think a US division, especially in Portland, would have designed the look that is the K-s1.
You're right, and they would have made sure it was made local.

08-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
Is Ricoh so poor that we need to launch a Kickstarter for them to get this rolling?
Well... the kickstarter half of that idea is pretty devious...
08-31-2014, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
the kickstarter half of that idea is pretty devious
And then we could fund Shodan to complete his customisation and open-sourcing of the Pentax firmware. A Magic Lantern clone for Pentax here we come!
08-31-2014, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #49
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
design of the K-S1
I thought it was just something a Mother could love.

08-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #50

I am a bit torn on the design of the camera, what bothers me more is they stepped away from having all dSLRs in their lineup weather protected.

But it looks to deliver great images, PENTAX K-S1 - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
08-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
But it looks to deliver great images, PENTAX K-S1 - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
Yeah. 20MP, no AA filter means lots of detail and sharp photos. I can imagine lots of people who didn't buy the K-3 would go for this, as it seems to deliver a lot for a good price. Too bad no WR.
08-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I got to say that my first reaction to the K-S1 (black) was "Pentax is Doomed!"

But then the coloured ones were shown and they appear to be the best looking coloured DSLRs yet (from any brand) imo.

So who knows.... it might sell (it might stumble too, esp with not enough marketing/hype to drive this sort of thing)

08-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think a lot of people are going to very surprised.
Me, too ...

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 16:13 ----------

I'd rather have a LX-D.
Me, too ... and please leave the green LED disco lights off of it, SVP.
08-31-2014, 07:32 AM - 4 Likes   #54
JPT
Pentaxian

My only criticisms of the K-S1 so far are that the kit lens need updating and that I don't like the Flucard as a Wi-Fi solution, neither of which would be within the design company's control. I think Ziba did a great job of styling the camera. I think I'm one of the only forum members who's actually seen it in real life and it really doesn't look that gaudy with the lights switched off. The proportions are more conventional than some of the pictures make out and the colours are not so lurid. It's a pretty classy design.

I'm constantly surprised with the disrespect photographers have for another visual art. Should we not respect others who seek beauty in design, like we do with our photos? It doesn't mean that you have to like the camera or that you have keep quiet if you don't, but it seems that the idea of getting a design house to rethink camera design is an entirely valid approach.

Imagine you really did leave a group of photographers to design a camera. They'd add feature after feature, make it bigger and faster and you'd just end up with another K-3. Ricoh makes that camera already. Ricoh/Pentax have been trying to make a differentiated camera with the K-01 and the K-S1 and I respect them for doing that. I certainly feel the K-S1 is going to have more appeal because the styling is smart but not as disruptive as the K-01. It also has a viewfinder, which will help.

It's interesting to look at some other Pentax and Ricoh ideas that were laughed at and scorned at first, but worked out well in the end.
- Coloured DSLRs - Still laughed at but they seem to work
- Ricoh GRD - I remember how commenters scorned it for having a fixed lens and a small sensor, but it gathered a song following over the years
- Pentax Limited lenses - If you have a f2.8 zoom, why would you want
- Pentax 645D/Z - Looks like second time lucky
- Pentax Q - Adjusting the price and advertising worked wonders in Japan

Ricoh has obviously decided that a strikingly-designed, capable K-mount camera is worth a second try. I'm going to give this camera serious consideration.
08-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #55
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah. 20MP, no AA filter means lots of detail and sharp photos.
In center part - yes.
08-31-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #56

Pentax got it's real start in the camera world by way of user interface innovation, the Asahi-Flex and Asahi-Pentax was a break from from what was accepted. In the same way Canon EOS system was born of T90 which was a radical departure from what was considered acceptable. While Asahi-Flex and Canon T90 were loved by their owners, neither succeed spectacularly on their first attempt, but their future iterations eventually sets the standard. I think K-01/K-S1 are bold innovative moves and I applaud PENTAX-ricoh for their willingness to innovate.

For those of you who have worked in a corporate environment, you'll know that innovation do not come easy and I think we should stop bashing Pentax-Ricoh.
08-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe we're all just a bunch of arrogant prigs.
Nope, just me.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 01:54 PM ----------

I think a lot of people are going to very surprised.
Surprise is highly overrated...

Steve

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 01:55 PM ----------

Can I get my retro-mirrorless K1000D then?

Just thought I'd ask...
No, you are going to get an SLR LX-D.

I'd rather have a LX-D.
Your wish is my command.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 01:57 PM ----------

You're right, and they would have made sure it was made local.
...and more important than provenance is whether the camera has friends.

Steve

(...my favorite Portlandia skit...)

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
But then the coloured ones were shown and they appear to be the best looking coloured DSLRs yet (from any brand) imo.
I like the Dusk Gold version. Truly! The ad really takes me back to the Ricoh ads of the 70s and 80s and that is not a bad thing.

Steve

(...matches my sunglasses...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2014 at 02:13 PM.
08-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve

(...matches my sunglasses...)
You have sunglasses with green LED's ... ?!
09-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamster Quote
For those of you who have worked in a corporate environment, you'll know that innovation do not come easy and I think we should stop bashing Pentax-Ricoh.
Neat camera!
this is a very nice stand-out camera & for those who don't want colours, it's available in traditional black as well.
I just hope they get the marketing right. Which means they need to be present in stores for a start.

Friends of mine are always pleasantly surprised when holding one of my pentax cameras. But they must get a hold of it. I recall visiting my uncle (a seasoned Nikon photographer..) with my brand new k100d back in 2006. He said: why on earth did you go with a brand like pentax. And then he started playing around with it. Hey, he said, this thing works nicely!

And a kit with the DA35 should be available to match the design. The 18-55 kitlens needs a serious update.
09-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Neat camera!
this is a very nice stand-out camera & for those who don't want colours, it's available in traditional black as well.
I just hope they get the marketing right. Which means they need to be present in stores for a start.

Friends of mine are always pleasantly surprised when holding one of my pentax cameras. But they must get a hold of it. I recall visiting my uncle (a seasoned Nikon photographer..) with my brand new k100d back in 2006. He said: why on earth did you go with a brand like pentax. And then he started playing around with it. Hey, he said, this thing works nicely!

And a kit with the DA35 should be available to match the design. The 18-55 kitlens needs a serious update.
IMHO, the best design feature of the camera is moving the mode dial to the rear. Two reasons: camera interfaces have generally migrated to the back (many don't have a top LCD anymore) and it allows the size of the top real estate to shrink a bit. From a few comparison looks, it seems the K-S1 top view profile is the smallest in a Pentax DSLR at least in a long time.

Now about the price... still think it's too high even considering it will drift downward. Now is the time to make a splash with this new design but if it's priced out of it's intended market then it will generate a negative perception that will stick with it no matter where the price eventually heads. K-01 all over again.