Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Unregistered User

The designers of K-S1

Here is the agency that masterminded the design of the K-S1. Their motto is: 'make them love you.'

About | Ziba

Their list of illustrious clients would indicate that these people know what they're doing...

08-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

The best thing about hipsters is they believe they're too cool to reproduce.
08-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
For real?

I'd kinda like my photographic equipment to be designed by... y'know... Photographers.

Too bad that's not one of their listed professions.

The 645Z might just be the last one designed by people who know what they are doing (and it looks similar to my 645N).

Maybe I'll buy a blue and white one; I was thinking it would look better with some nice white faux fur glued on it.

If the act of outsourcing design and getting this crap is what they call 'think different' I'd be selling my stock, if I had any.

I guess why I'm ticked is that it does appear to have nice guts.

It's just so gaudy...
08-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
For real?

I'd kinda like my photographic equipment to be designed by... y'know... Photographers.
Did you check the profiles of all their employees? There are photographers and engineers among their ranks.

08-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I knew about Ziba, bit didn't realise they were headquartered in the USA [Portland].
I have no prejudices about that, aside from Portland's hipsterdom reputation

But using Ziba shows the K-S1 is a lifestyle device very much designed for a specific demographic. Nothing wrong with that. Not much point simply building the best camera in the world if no one feels like buying it.
08-30-2014, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I suspect this company is privately owned by Marc Newson. lol
08-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I suspect this company is privately owned by Marc Newson. lol
Do not worry. Marc Newson has got nothing to do with this one.

08-30-2014, 02:30 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

For real?

Too bad that's not one of their listed professions.

The 645Z might just be the last one designed by people who know what they are doing (and it looks similar to my 645N).

Maybe I'll buy a blue and white one; I was thinking it would look better with some nice white faux fur glued on it.

If the act of outsourcing design and getting this crap is what they call 'think different' I'd be selling my stock, if I had any.

I guess why I'm ticked is that it does appear to have nice guts.

It's just so gaudy...
You know, most of the Pentax line-up last few years have been classic photographer gear, everything from K-10 to K-3 fit that framework. If having innovating design in your segment too makes you sell cameras to wider audience then why wouldn't you use it?

Being all pretentious and scream about that all cameras should look like "tools" with the motivation that having cameras in the segment that deviate from that makes you too cool for the brand is ironically more hipster than Pentax going with design firms.
08-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Did you check the profiles of all their employees? There are photographers and engineers among their ranks.
No, I was referring to those mentioned on the main page.

But good to know none of their photographers had any input...
08-30-2014, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This just confirms that the K-S1 is a special type of camera, like the K-01, not part of the usual lineup. Pentax is experimenting with alternative designs to see which might be popular. I think that's a good idea, even if some people whine about a camera's design as if it hurts them physically. Let them whine.
08-30-2014, 04:58 AM   #11
Unregistered User

No, I was referring to those mentioned on the main page.
I was referring to those mentioned on their main page as well. Didn't you see that there were photographers among them? In other words, your preconceived notions are at work here - nothing more.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 14:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This just confirms that the K-S1 is a special type of camera, like the K-01, not part of the usual lineup. Pentax is experimenting with alternative designs to see which might be popular. I think that's a good idea, even if some people whine about a camera's design as if it hurts them physically. Let them whine.
Another reason for buying this camera. One of its kind DSLR.
08-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Another reason for buying this camera. One of its kind DSLR.
Just wait for the K-S2! Could be even more exotic.

So far we've had Marc Newson - K-01, Ziba - K-S1. For their next camera Ricoh might get Frank Gehry to consult on the design.
08-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just wait for the K-S2! Could be even more exotic.

So far we've had Marc Newson - K-01, Ziba - K-S1. For their next camera Ricoh might get Frank Gehry to consult on the design.
Frank Gehry? Ricoh may be crazy, but not that crazy.

If Pentax had engaged in rangefinder mimicry à la Fuji X-E1, I suspect that people here would have been in ecstacy. What has Ziba discerned that we haven't in terms of anticipating coming trends? There are already too many retro gadgets out there as it is. This whole retro romance strikes me as being a passing frenzy; people will soon grow tired of it. Pentax's futuristic answer is a punch in the face of those who are enslaved by the past.

This is one handsome camera:

http://www.diyphotography.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/pentax-k-s1.jpg
08-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posters still complaining about Marc Newson? I thought we had all agreed in retrospect that the K-01 was a pretty darn good camera. Get over it, guys! If people want to buy a coloured-body, entry-level Pentax, why should we complain?
08-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But using Ziba shows the K-S1 is a lifestyle device very much designed for a specific demographic. Nothing wrong with that. Not much point simply building the best camera in the world if no one feels like buying it.
WTF is a 'lifestyle device' ? Should I get one ? Or both ?