Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d problems- please help

Ok, I need some input on what to do with my K10d.

I have taken it our for a few different forays and overall I have not been impressed with the results. Now I will be the first to admit that I am not anywhere near the worlds best photographer but some of this is pretty basic.

I think my K10d has the backfoucus/frontfocus issue that I have recently been reading about. In alot of the pics I have taken the subject I have thought I was focusing on is not actually in focus. Most times they are just slightly out of focus, but enough to ruin the shot.

I have read in a few of the previous threads that apparently you cant trust the little red AF point when you use AF...so whats the freakin point in even using it. I never had a problem with this on the Rebel XT I used on and off for a couple of years. Is this a quality control issue with Pentax or just a crappy design. I mean, one of the things that attracted me to Pentax is a slight reduction in price compared to the mainstream competition, but not having a reliable AF is inexcusable. My K10d was cheaper, but it was still just under $1000. Thats NOT cheap. A D200 Nikon or Canon 40D is only a little bit more. So Pentax cant justify this kind of crappy performance.

Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong? I dont have any pics to show what I mean due to getting upset and deleting everything. But my experiance is similar to what others have described in some of the backfocus threads.

So here are my questions...(a couple pertaining to this problem and a couple generic)

1. What is the easiest way to fix a BF/FF issue?
2. What is this 8.1 thing I have read about (firmware I think)
3. I used photoME to look at my pic data-what does this mean?

SR result...............not stabilized
Shake Reduction...ON

does this mean SR was on but not used? Why would that happen?
4. Will I basicly just have to manual focus everything to ensure a good focus?

Please feel free to answer any or all of these questions. If it helps, my K10d's date of manufacture was 2007-09-06 and it is Model Revision 2.1. I am using the kit lens.

I really like my K10d, or I like what it can be. I want to be able to use this camera for a long time and eventually move up the Pentax line. But as a new user I am feeling let down. Please help restore my faith and tell me this can be fixed. At least somehow.

Thanks.

05-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The remarks about not being able to trust the little red AF point refer to manual focusing. Some people think the red square is the focus confirmation light, when actually all it does is indicate which auto-focus point is being used by the camera. The green hexagon is the focus confirmation light. You can set the camera so the little red square doesn't appear at all and still use auto-focus. (My K100D is set up like that).

Regarding the image with SR on but not utilized.....What was your shutter speed on that shot? Perhaps it was high enough that the camera judged SR not to be needed?
05-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mike, shutter speed was 1/180. Would the SR not work at this speed? I thought it would.

Didnt know the red light was only a problem with manual focus. Hmmm...still doesnt help my problem. I will have the little red light show up on what I want to be focused on and I get the little 'beep' that goes with it and take the pic. Then when I look at it what I shot is not crisp at all.

Grrrrr... I reread my initial post and it seems a little harsh. Just somewhat upset I guess. I love my K10d, the feel of it, the way its set up. But when it comes down to it its got to take the pics i need. I have seen many of the pics on this site taken by these cameras so I know its possible. Maybe I just got a bad one?
05-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR is more useful for slow shutter speeds. With the 18-55mm lens and a shutter speed of 1/180 it isn't that SR won't work so much as it is a matter of there being nothing for it to do. Shutter speed alone means that camera shake isn't going to be a problem.

I've seen enough griping about the focusing and metering issues the K10D has that even now with their prices having dropped I am not inspired to buy one.

05-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #5

I just got my K10D back from Pentax for back focus issues. I've sent it in twice in 2008. The first time I sent my 31 mm lens in with the camera. My lens checked out ok, and they supposedly adjusted the focus, but it didn't help. I knew my lens was OK, because I took it to Wolf Camera and tried it on their body and the focus was perfect, but they requested that I send them my lens. So I sent my camera in again and it focuses much better now. It only has a slight back focus. I sent photos showing the focus problem with my camera both times and even included comparison photos with the camera body from Wolf.