Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 20
Some question on batteries...

I am still waiting fro my K20D to arrive, this coming wednesday. And while waiting, I have some som "research" on/around this camera.
What might be an issue, is the fact I simply forgot to order a battery for the battery grip...
The problem is, I can't find any dealers who can sell me the original battery. I have even been to the Pentax factory, some 40 km from here, but to no avail. They are not allowed to sell anything whatsoever...

Anyway, I found out that a battery called Konica/Minolta NP-400 are simular to the Pentax D-Li50. But then I read this discussion:

K10D Battery appears IDENTICAL to NP400 for Minolta 5D: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have to admit a certain confusion here...
Anybody got any suggestions, that might solve this issue?

05-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by Camera Obscura Quote
I am still waiting fro my K20D to arrive, this coming wednesday. And while waiting, I have some som "research" on/around this camera.
What might be an issue, is the fact I simply forgot to order a battery for the battery grip...
The problem is, I can't find any dealers who can sell me the original battery. I have even been to the Pentax factory, some 40 km from here, but to no avail. They are not allowed to sell anything whatsoever...

Anyway, I found out that a battery called Konica/Minolta NP-400 are simular to the Pentax D-Li50. But then I read this discussion:

K10D Battery appears IDENTICAL to NP400 for Minolta 5D: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have to admit a certain confusion here...
Anybody got any suggestions, that might solve this issue?
I have two of these batteries that I use in my K10d (as well as 1 Pentax brand that came with the camera). I notice zero difference between them, except that the Minolta batteries are about 1/10th the cost.

c[_]
05-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member
simons-photography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northamptonshire - England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 497
frankly the original batteries are sooo overpriced batteries are batteries whatever shape they are inside they are regular cells
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
frankly the original batteries are sooo overpriced batteries are batteries whatever shape they are inside they are regular cells
Couldn't agree with you more, on this one.

I have done some more research, this evening, and I came across this page, on Varta Batteries:

VARTA - System Photo Power P57

Seems like Varta produces these batteries too...
Might be easier to find, -seems like a trip to the city are scheduled, pretty soon!


05-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member
simons-photography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northamptonshire - England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 497
thats very interesting its not quite the capacity of the pentax one but will do just as well how much is it ?
05-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
thats very interesting its not quite the capacity of the pentax one but will do just as well how much is it ?
That I don't know yet, I'm afraid...
But I am going into Cebu City, either today or tomorrow, -I'll see what I can find out, and let you know, right away....
05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
I'm agree there are alternative batteries for the K10 & 20. In some cases, the alternatives are not only less expensive, but they are better. The Pentax battery which came with the K20 is1620mAh. You can find replacements. non-Pentax, which are 1700mAh and 1750mAh--I believe this makes the replacements longer lasting. Please correct me if I am wrong---any battery specialists out there?

Though EBay is not my go-to place for camera accessories, they really seem to have a lot to offer there for the K10 & 20 with respect to battery power. In some cases you can pick up an AC/DC charger w battery for way less than the Pentax battery and the EBay battery is better. I could not resist, so I tried one of the vendors and am delighted with the results. $23 US for entire kit!!!

This is a boost for me when I am out in the wilderness, for many days, away from electrical supply---I can just charge through the cigarette lighter.
05-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 976
Sometimes the alternative batteries are specced less conservatively than the official ones.

i.e. the Pentax batteries may be specced at 1620 and third-party at 1700+, but the Pentax battery might actually last longer because the third-party one overstates its specs.

Quality control of many of the third-party batteries also seems deficient - Apparently the Impact third-party batteries from B&H have a reputation for sudden premature death. (i.e. going from OK to holding no charge at all without warning.)

That said, first-party NP400s are cheaper than first-party D-LI50s and they are good batteries.

Does anyone know of any third-party D-LI50 units that aren't known for sudden premature death?

05-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 20
Original Poster
Did a simple google search, this afternoon, and this is what I found:
It's in german, but the price are 6,95 Euro, -which about equal to $ 10, or so?

Varta Photo Accu Pack P57, LiIon, 7.2V (Online Shop)

This is "only" rated at 1500 mAh, but still, it's not bad, I think?

And I did ask in a couple of photo shops, in the biggest mall i Cebu City.
But they did not "have a stock"...
I'm afraid that's the standard answer, in these parts of the world, when they have no idea what you're talking about...
In other words, the search goes on...

Last edited by Camera Obscura; 05-12-2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: small addition...
05-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member
vizjerei's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,418
Well.. after I read those report of alternative cellphone batteries explode, I have never get alternative batteries for my stuff... especially those made in China.. and I am chinese
05-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
joefru's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 210
The Minolta batteries work fine. I bought one of these from the "Used & New" section for $4.99 and am extremely pleased with it. Even with shipping it was under $10, and now I have a spare battery. If I ever see myself needing more than two batteries, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Oh, and it's not a knock-off, it is a true Minolta battery.
05-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 21
QuoteOriginally posted by Camera Obscura Quote
Did a simple google search, this afternoon, and this is what I found:
It's in german, but the price are 6,95 Euro, -which about equal to $ 10, or so?

Varta Photo Accu Pack P57, LiIon, 7.2V (Online Shop)

This is "only" rated at 1500 mAh, but still, it's not bad, I think?

And I did ask in a couple of photo shops, in the biggest mall i Cebu City.
But they did not "have a stock"...
I'm afraid that's the standard answer, in these parts of the world, when they have no idea what you're talking about...
In other words, the search goes on...
Through German E-bay I found prices from 7.90 up to 29.99. And from 1500 mAh up to 2000 mAh. And......of course POSTAGE!
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichygrue Quote
Through German E-bay I found prices from 7.90 up to 29.99. And from 1500 mAh up to 2000 mAh. And......of course POSTAGE!
Hi, "pichygrue", nice to see a dutcman on these pages...
I was engaged to a girl in Utrecht, once upon a time. And I had many good moments in "Foto Steenweg", -exellent service and very nice people, -as most dutch I have met...

Anyway, I am still working on the battery issue, but I have to tend the ongoing refurbishing of our house too. We all have to make priorities, according to my wife...
And ofcourse, I will inform the forum on/about my finds!
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 39
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I have two of these batteries that I use in my K10d (as well as 1 Pentax brand that came with the camera). I notice zero difference between them, except that the Minolta batteries are about 1/10th the cost.

c[_]
Yeah I've got two NP-400 batteries and I can't tell any differece between them and the proper pentax ones!! (execpt the price of course!!!)

I get all my K10D accesories on Ebay (heaps cheaper!!)
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 25
Check the Chinese Ebay stores. I think it was under $20US, with shipping from Hong Kong, two 1800 mAh batteries for my K10d. At that price, even if they aren't as strong as the OEM batteries, they are still a steal. I plan on getting 6 or 8 more.

Try this:

Battery for Pentax D-Li50 DLI50 K10 K10D SLR 1800mAh - eBay (item 200222099274 end time May-13-08 11:00:42 PDT)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, dslr, issue, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best batteries?? strictlypentax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 06-17-2009 07:21 AM
Batteries for K-m?? Mystic Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 06-17-2009 12:03 AM
HELP with batteries liberiabound Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 09-30-2008 03:23 PM
eneloop batteries quick question... NYpHoToGraphEr Photographic Technique 2 04-01-2008 09:44 AM
k110d question about batteries ronald_durst Photographic Technique 3 03-14-2008 05:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top