Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Used K-7 or K-500 ?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a possible upgrade from my *ist DL and first tought of the K-500, which is about at the price I’m willing to pay. However, I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have a top LCD, which I find quite useful on my DL. Also, one of the reason I want to upgrade the DL is that I’m kind of tired to have to navigate in the menus each time I want to adjust something. I may be wrong, but it seems I will face the same ergonomic hurdle with the K-500, which has an ergonomic much more adapted for “auto mode” than “advanced function”. Simply put, I don’t care about having easy access to tens of scene modes. What I want is to be able to efficiently change aperture, ISO, WB, focus mode…

So, for these reasons, I really was hesitating to buy the K-500. It surely is an upgrade from my DL, but not from the usability I’m looking for. Thus, I had the idea to look at the used market. I found out that I can get a K-7 body for the same price, or even slightly cheaper than the K-500. The technical specifications of the K-7 aren’t better than the K-500, but the ergonomic design seems much more adapted to what I’m looking for than for full auto snapshot. And the build quality also look much better (metal vs plastic). Thus, it seems to me that the K-7 would be a much more meaningful upgrade to the K-500, although on paper both cameras don’t look so different specwise.

So, do you think what I said above makes any sense? Is buying a used K-7 instead of a new K-500 a good idea or is just plain stupid ? I would really like to have some feedback from people having used both cameras.

BTW, I plan to keep my old DL. It still works fine and can be used as a backup or when someone in the family just want to shoot in auto or scene modes. For lenses, I actually have the ubiquitous DA 18-55 (non WR), a FA 28-105 IF (my workhorse from the 35mm days, still useful as a short telephoto), a F50mm/1.7 (my sharpest, fastest lens) and a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (my actual workhorse).

09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The k7 has a better build quality, quieter shutter, and longer battery life. Apart from that, everything else is better on the k500 (autofocus, high ISO performance, etc). Unless the k7 is really cheap (cheap enough that you could buy a second hand da 35mm f2.4 for the difference), I can't see the point myself.

To be honest, a used k-5 isn't that much more than a new k-500 (when bought from a reputable dealer), so I'd expect them to be about the same price if bought in an eBay auction. That might be the best of both worlds...

Last edited by robthebloke; 09-02-2014 at 01:04 PM.
09-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would rather get a used K-5 or K-30 in place of either of them. You simply get way better cameras for not much more money.
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
The k7 has a better build quality, quieter shutter, and longer battery life. Apart from that, everything else is better on the k500 (autofocus, high ISO performance, etc). Unless the k7 is really cheap (cheap enough that you could buy a second hand da 35mm f2.4 for the difference), I can't see the point myself.

To be honest, a used k-5 isn't that much more than a new k-500 (when bought from a reputable dealer), so I'd expect them to be about the same price if bought in an eBay auction. That might be the best of both worlds...
A used K-5 is something I've checked but is still a bit over my budget. The ones I've found are about 500$, when taking shipping and duties in account. And I guess the title of the thread would have then be "Used K-5 or K-50". My budget is about 400$ max and, actually, I can get a lightly used K-7 for 350$ (from a store, not ebay) or a K-500 with lens kit for 400$, but I don't need the lens.

09-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't really know how much you want to invest (edit: oups! you just mentioned it while I was writing this post!) (I'm out of the loop on the price of used K-7 and of the K-500, although I could check...). Anyhow, I recently was in a situation like you were I wanted to upgrade my old Pentax body. I found a used K-5ii with 1 year left of warranty in a local listing (kijiji if you are familiar with it) for 500$. It might sound like much, or it may not, but for what I got, I think it's very decent (taking into account that I am in Canada as well).
Going back to your particular situation, from what you are describing in terms of needs/want, it really sounds like the K-5 would be a perfect match. It has all the control and ergonomics you would want and has the high iso capability, DR and yadayada to compete would most newer DSLR. I'm sure that if you wait a little or look hard enough, you could find one used for the price you want to pay. Just a thought!
Considering you probably plan on keeping your equipment for a good while, I'd go for a used K-5 no doubt.
09-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

If you cannot float getting a deal on the K-5II(s) models (or get a clean K5), then I vote for a K-500, for the simple reason that whatever you may save on money, or think you are getting on top LCD, is lost when you take into account the sensor differences between the two. That 16mp Sony sensor is so much better than the Samsung sensor in the K7.

The K-500 has a front control wheel. This makes controlling the K-500 as easy as the K-7. I went from using a K10 primarily to a K-01 and a Kx because I needed video. Those other two do not have a top LCD, and I really never missed the lack of readout, I did however miss the front control wheel a lot.

Most information you would have on the top LCD can also be found in the viewfinder, as well as on the back screen.

Other than that, while the K-500 has a smaller battery, does not have a mic port, and cannot get a battery grip, all pluses for the K-7. But for still pictures, HD video, and every other measurable aspect, in my opinion, put the K-500 as the better buy. I have been watching eBay for K7s (to have that model, as well as for some time-lapse projects) and the camera is going for above $250 used. To buy a used camera, or spend $150 more for a new camera - its simple to me.

Or get the first gen K-5. The AF may not be as fast, and it uses a cruddy codec for recording video, but the K5 would give you the metal/weathersealed body, and do so for well under $500.
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
A used K-5 is something I've checked but is still a bit over my budget. The ones I've found are about 500$, when taking shipping and duties in account. And I guess the title of the thread would have then be "Used K-5 or K-50". My budget is about 400$ max and, actually, I can get a lightly used K-7 for 350$ (from a store, not ebay) or a K-500 with lens kit for 400$, but I don't need the lens.
check the market place here. I payed 375 for my K-5 shipped to my door.

09-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$350 from a reputable store, is not bad for a K-7. K-5's obviously better, but if you can't go to $500, you can't. Remember to check shutter count before purchase.
09-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Can you find a K-30?
09-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can regularly find k5 for sale on the forum for ~$350-450.
09-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

When I had a K-500, I really missed the autofocus points in the viewfinder. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it did.
09-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
You can regularly find k5 for sale on the forum for ~$350-450.
Yes by far the better option. I gave my K7 away. Compared to the new sensors the K7's is really inferior. I haven't used the K500, but I would get that one.

By the way congratulations on using an *ist for so long.
09-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There is a k500 for $250 in Canada. Better act fast. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/272008-sal...body-only.html
09-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see buying a K7 when you can get a new camera with better IQ, better auto focus, better ISO performance, and a warranty for nearly the same price. I would go for a K-50 though, but WR and focus points are important to me. You can get the K-50 for about $450, not sure what the K-500 is going for. I have a K-30 and thought I would miss the top LCD of the K20D, but I don't miss it at all.
09-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
Thanks! Unfortunately, already gone when I got the message.

Following the comments of most posters, I will search a bit more and try to find a used K5. Maybe it will be my lucky day! I will keep the K-7/500 as B plans. Certainly not as good as a K-5, but still an upgrade from my *ist DL.