Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something to consider, or at least evaluate the k20d. It's a significant step up from the *ist DL, and can find around ~$200 if you look carefully.

The new K-S1 being announced, I suspect the K5/K7 should be dropping in price soon.
That being said, if I could find a K5 / K7 affordable in your price range, I jump at the chance myself.

09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Thanks! Unfortunately, already gone when I got the message.

Following the comments of most posters, I will search a bit more and try to find a used K5. Maybe it will be my lucky day! I will keep the K-7/500 as B plans. Certainly not as good as a K-5, but still an upgrade from my *ist DL.
There's a $400 K5 in the marketplace...at least it was there last night.
09-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally, the used K-500 mentioned above became available again this morming and I've set my choice on it. I don't think I would get anything better for the money. And it looks like a much better deal than the K-7 I was firt looking at. Although WP would have been fine, I had SLRs without it for the last 15-20 years without problem. So, I guess I could live a few more years without WP.

So, thanks for all your feedbacks. They were all greatly appeciated. I will give you my feedback when I'll receive my K-500. I guess (and hope!) that I should see some improvements from my DL!
09-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The typical advice is to go with what feels good in the hand and etc. Certainly, that is good advice and you are right to consider things like ease of changing settings. With either 'all things equal' or 'mostly equal', I would say this is a good way to compare.

However, the sensor in the K500 is quite different...
I have a K20 (= K7 for sensor), and the files from the K5 (more like K500 than K7) are very much better. They really are. It may be a compromise between the stuff you like about K7 (as car: power windows, sunroof) and the K500 (as car: better drive train)... The K500 car can still do K7 car stuff but it might be more like a manual shift. With a much better engine.

And maybe there won't be much given up for the K500. I think it has a direct ISO button. I don't think ISO can be assigned to a wheel as it can be with K7... But the K500 will have the INFO menu or whatever it is called. This menu makes it pretty easy to get to most things. The K500 will be much easier to get around in than your current camera. For example, when the K5 lost the SR switch that was on K20, I was sad. But it turned out to not be a problem because it was quite easy to switch on/off from the INFO menu that was added to the K7/5

So, whichever camera... I see the choice as
Car with old 1.8L engine with all the options
Newer car with 1.8L turbo and fewer options

09-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I would rather get a used K-5 or K-30 in place of either of them. You simply get way better cameras for not much more money.
Yep... If you have $400 to spend, that would be the way to go, IMO.