Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Split image screen for K 5

I installed a KatzEye screen in my K 10, and I've been considering one for my K 5. Browsing Fotodiox I found this: Fotodiox Replacement Split Image Focusing Prism Screen for Pentax K-5, K-7, Kx, Kr, Km Digital Camears Has anyone tried one? The price is certainly right.

Thanks.

09-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find. I hope someone chimes in about this screen as I would like to change the one in my K-x. Thanks for posting this.
09-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

That looks almost too good to be true. It certainly is cheap! Doesn't fit myk10d though, unfortunately.....?
09-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I saw this Fotodiox item a couple of weeks ago. I too would be interested to read if it is any good. The price is good, but what caught my interest is the relatively small size of the center focus aids.

Steve

09-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They are fairly close to me. I might just give them a call and see if I can try one in person.

although
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Replacement-Focusing-Digital-Camears/dp/B008B...cm_cr_dpwidget
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I installed this on on my K20D ( sold it a few months back) and it worked out really well.
Single 180 Split Image Focusing Focus Screen for Pentax K10D K20D SLR Camera | eBay
Very easy to install and the split screen works well.
09-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I installed this on on my K20D ( sold it a few months back) and it worked out really well.
Single 180 Split Image Focusing Focus Screen for Pentax K10D K20D SLR Camera | eBay
Very easy to install and the split screen works well.
Yep, there are a number of Hong Kong, Chinese, and Singapore sellers on eBay that offer cut-down FF SLR screens for fairly reasonable prices. The allure of the Fotodiox product is that they are an established company with an accessible customer service department in N. America.

Steve
09-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for the quick responses! At the price I think its worth a try.

09-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Since my K10D died, I haven't been shooting much with my manual glass. I previously had a bad experience with a cheap Ebay screen from jinfinance several years ago which I replaced with a Katz Eye. Since Fotodiox offers a warranty and I can likely return this if it turns out to be crap, I just ordered one for my K5. It will be a while before it arrives but I will post in the thread when I get it and do some shooting with it.
09-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The screen arrived today. Unfortunately, it's not even close to being in focus when the prism lines up. I tried removing the Pentax factory shim and it was no help. I will obviously need a thicker shim. From what I understand, Pentax no longer sells shim kits so at this point I'm undecided if I will send it back, try and order some aftermarket shims, or try and make something. The quality of the screen is quite good and the matte surface around the prism is excellent. The subject snaps right into focus in the matte area so you can still get a good quick MF with a slower lens that may black out the prism. That said, it's useless without the right shim. I know a few folks have been successful with adding some tape around the edges. I'm not going to work again until later in the week but I'll bring home a micrometer and do some measuring to see what I need.

The package it came in had a label covering the original. It comes from a company called Crab Inc. A quick search turned up a Chinese website that I couldn't read and Google translate only gave very limited info. They seem to be a subcontractor that mostly makes electronic parts. I guess they now make focusing screens too.
09-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The screen arrived today. Unfortunately, it's not even close to being in focus when the prism lines up.
I am sorry you are having shim problems. Do you know what shim you have and how much additional thickness you might need?

Steve
09-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm not quite sure at the moment. I got a little aggravated and it was time to quit. The shim in the camera is copper or copper colored but I didn't see any number on it. I tried the screen without the shim and it was no better so I'm just assuming I need another shim or a thicker one. I'm not overly concerned because it was quite cheap. I never seem to have much luck with the bargain stuff although this looks much better made than the jinfinance screen I bought for my K10D a few years ago.
09-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The screen arrived today. Unfortunately, it's not even close to being in focus when the prism lines up
If your original screen was properly shimmed, then your new screen should not require re-shimming.
09-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
If your original screen was properly shimmed, then your new screen should not require re-shimming.
That is true unless the new screen is a different thickness. The plane of focus is intended to be at the underside of the screen. The shims go above the screen to allow tuning. (The retaining frame is spring-loaded.) As a result, screen thickness figures in.

Based on reports on this site, it appears that most (all?) of the third-party screens may require shimming when paired with current model Pentax bodies. Part of this is due to the original screen not being dialed in properly at the factory. The rest has to do with the nature of third-party screens. Many are cut-down from 35mm full-frame screens originally intended for other-brand cameras. Others are made from a generic blank in a one-size-fits-all scheme. In short, very few are made to the same thickness as the stock screen that came with the camera. It would be interesting to actually measure the screen thickness at some point for the various vendors offerings.

Steve

(...my K-3 required a significantly thinner shim with the KatzEye and no change with the S-type screen from focusingscreen.com...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-09-2014 at 08:19 AM.
09-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would be interesting to actually measure the screen thickness at some point for the various vendors offerings
This is what I intend to do with the Fotodiox screen. The next time I go to work (I'm semi-retired) I will bring home my micrometers and measure the thickness of original Pentax screen and the shim and compare that with the aftermarket one to see exactly what I need to do. I could play around with this and go nuts and end up wasting a lot of time and still not have it right. This is the one advantage to the Katz Eye screen. It costs over $100 more but will probably fit and if it doesn't, they have support. This is a cheap screen from China. They list a similar screen for Canon and Nikon cameras and it's probably the exact same screen, cut to fit the different camera models.