Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA vs FA

Pardon my ignorance. Relatively new to the practice. Have a K10D with the kit lens and a recently purchased 18-250. Am now starting to dive into primary lenses. Should I be looking only at DA's as opposed to FA's. I understand that DA's are designed with the intention of residing on the digital cameras,so what should one consider before choosing between these two? Thx in advance....

05-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

With a search you should find a few earlier threads on this topic.

Very briefly, FAs were designed/released back in film-camera days; the good ones particularly the Limiteds still work wonderfully with dSLR.
DAs are intended for the 1.5x crop dSLRs, with these distinctions:
- some special coating to make it more suitable for electronic sensor
- smaller image circle so smaller/lighter lens overall
- 1 to 1.5 stops slower (than the FA Limited counterparts)
- quickshift focus
- lower prices.
05-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
With a search you should find a few earlier threads on this topic.

Very briefly, FAs were designed/released back in film-camera days; the good ones particularly the Limiteds still work wonderfully with dSLR.
DAs are intended for the 1.5x crop dSLRs, with these distinctions:
- some special coating to make it more suitable for electronic sensor
- smaller image circle so smaller/lighter lens overall
- 1 to 1.5 stops slower (than the FA Limited counterparts)
- quickshift focus
- lower prices.
You are correct about the FA lenses. Many of the FA series are superb like the FA* series and the FA Limited series. Some of the other FA lenses are also excellent, like the FA20 f2.8, FA35 f2, FA50 f1.4, FA135 f2.8 to name a few. Some of the FA lenses were not quite so good, like the FA28-80 f3.5-4.7(?) and the FA100-300 f4.5-5.6 to name but a few. If you would like to know what is an acceptable lens, you may be best to ask on this forum for opinions.

As for the DA lenses, a couple of points to correct you on:
- Not all of the DA lenses are for APS C only. I am sure the DA*200 and certain the DA*300 are FF coverage. I *think* some of the DA Limiteds may work on FF too.
- They are not "slower" than their FA counterparts with the same aperture, but they have 1-1.5 stops *more* DOF for a given aperture.
- The DA*300 f4 and the DA*200 f2.8 are similar in pricing to their FA counterparts. They are only cheaper if you compare the DA*200 to the FA*300 due to the crop factor.
05-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I owned two K10D's and the following lenses:

77mm
43mm
40mm
21mm
16-45mm

I sold everything and went to Nikon...and am now back with two K20Ds and building up my arsenal.

77mm: A great lens for anything you would normally use a telephoto for. I've shot fantastic fireworks displays with this on the K10D...as well as portraits.

43mm: For me the consumate portrait lens

40mm: I love the pancake profile.....takes excellent portraits

21mm: For me a great "standard" lens, but can be used as a portrait lens if you get the right angle.

I love the limiteds and prime lenses, but the reality is you may need something wide angle....The 16-45 is a nice (though slow) lens....I've heard enough bad stuff about the 16-50 to shy away from it (personal opinion only).

The 50-135 is getting good reviews for something with a little reach, though there is a 100mm as well.

And finally for long-range photography...the new 300mm is a piece of work...with a pricetag to match...that is if $1200 is high to you.

eric

05-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People here hit the nails, so my only addition would be that due to bigger image circle of FAs, if you put them on APS-C sensor then you will be enjoying shooting through "sweet spot" of the lens. And also DAs exhibit bit more of vigneting, but with many it's unnoticable in field conditions...
05-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So for example, a DA 70 Ltd vs a FA 77 Ltd, or a DA 40 vs a FA 43, other than price/size/speed, would you say the performance on a K10D would be comperable? Thx for your feedback. (I will do a thread search as suggested...)
05-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

While some of the DAs do a FF image circle, I'm fairly certain that this capability is considered "unsupported" by Pentax.

Which will prove to be a bad move if any of the Pentax/Samsung FF rumors prove true - Pentax will have a bunch of FF-capable lenses that are marked as suitable for APS-C only with no official way to tell the difference. DA means "only use with cropped digitals" even though some work OK on FF.

(As opposed to all other manufacturers having some way to tell the difference between FF digital capable and non-FF digital capable such as Tamron Di LD vs. Di LD II and Sigma DC vs. DG)
05-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
So for example, a DA 70 Ltd vs a FA 77 Ltd, or a DA 40 vs a FA 43, other than price/size/speed, would you say the performance on a K10D would be comperable?
There have been endless discussions on this comparison. Bottom line is very little iq difference between these pairs, so most people choose based on speed/price/quickshift advantage. And I guess you're heading that way too

05-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If the DA Ltd lenses are seemingly very similar in results to the FA Ltd's, and as I have no 35mm requirements, it sounds like the DA's may be the way to go (especially considering size and price.)
Thx