Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Manual Focus Help

The biggest obstacle I have with M and Scerw-mount lenses on the K20 is manual focusing. I bought the Pentax 1.18x eyecup upgrade but, if it helps, I do not notice. I have heard other people talk about "split screens" as an aid to manual focusing. Can someone please tell me what this means--"split screen"--and how it works? Thanks.

Regards,

Ernest

05-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
click here.

Last edited by ricosuave; 05-11-2008 at 09:11 PM.
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The biggest obstacle I have with M and Scerw-mount lenses on the K20 is manual focusing. I bought the Pentax 1.18x eyecup upgrade but, if it helps, I do not notice. I have heard other people talk about "split screens" as an aid to manual focusing. Can someone please tell me what this means--"split screen"--and how it works? Thanks.

Regards,

Ernest
The split image screen has a small round split image range finder in the middle of it. You place the circle over a streight edge of the subject and turn the focus ring unitl the two halves are aligned. You are now in focus. I like using the M42 lenses, because everything is manual. You can control the depth of field and point of focus very well. Of course you have to work more slowly, you have much more creative control.

Dave
05-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A split-prism focus screen was one of the earliest accessories I bought for my K100D. Since I shoot manual focus lenses more often than auto-focus it has also turned out to be the absolute most useful accessory. Best 30 bucks I ever spent on camera equipment.

05-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are many people who use a split image, but from feedback I have had from the manufacturers, there is an issue with spot metering.

the split image makes spot metering inaccurate.

I have been stuck in this delema where I have manual lenses, but also use spot metering extensively.

as a result, I have decided to wait a little.
05-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Katz Eye says that their screens are good as long as the lens has at least an F2 maximum aperture. I don't know if this helps you or not.
Pentax K10D K20D Focusing Screen - Katz Eye Optics
05-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
To everyone:

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to provide guidance to me on this one. I will purchase a split-focus screen--thanks for the help.

Mike, can you tell me which one you bought, and where you bought it? The Katz eye looks great, but $30 probably did not buy one of those. If you are happy with yours, I would like to learn more about it. Thanks.

Regards,

Ernest
05-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I got mine from one of the Chinese E-bay merchants. I'm sure I've posted the link at least a couple of times here, so a search should bring it up.

05-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have also bought the cheapo Chinese split screen ($30 inc shipping). Using the screen together with the Pentax magnifying eye-piece, I have got 99% spot on when I do MF.

Search for member "jinfinance" in the eBay Community page, if you want to see from whom I bought mine. I also bought from him the tool kit for changing the split screen.

Good luck!
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Katz Eye

I have a lot (10 lenses) of old legacy K, M and A series glass. The Katz Eye screen seems to work well for me with the K10. My only complaint is the screens are expensive. I got the split screen with OptiBrite coating. There was not much change from $200 by the time it arrived in Canada. I think it was worth the price for my particular situation.
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there are many people who use a split image, but from feedback I have had from the manufacturers, there is an issue with spot metering.

the split image makes spot metering inaccurate.

I have been stuck in this delema where I have manual lenses, but also use spot metering extensively.

as a result, I have decided to wait a little.
its inaccuracy is somewhat predictable

i always shoot +0.3 or +0.7 anyway, or two ticks of the shutter if in M mode

its really not a big deal.
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually, using LiveView on the K20D with manual focusing lenses has given me a much better accuracy on DOF than any camera I have ever tried.

The Liveview function of the K20D stops the lens down to the selected aperture and gives you good control of focus using high-speed manual focus lenses such as the 50 f1.2.

The ability to zoom in on selected parts of the image shown during liveview gives you a great advantage in selecting in-focus areas in low light situations when AF-users can just dream about getting focus where they want.

I can understand why Liveview has been looked upon as a useless thing by the AF crowd, but for manual focusing of "stationary" objects or during portrait protography with little available light it is a very valuable tool. A split-screen does not even come close.

These days I actually only use the split screen for fast focusing in good light. Other than that I don't even bother with it anymore. If you have the time, Liveview beats it hands down every time.
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

I didn´t know that you could buy this image split focus screen for a dslr. So cool I´m used to it as my old Minolta x300 has it. Might be handy when I recieve my fully manual lens I ordered some time ago, but I´ll try the matte screen first.
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Train your eye.
Buy a Canon focus eye exerciser model 30D, after prolonged use, you will find your K20D focus abilities have significantly improved.
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Actually, using LiveView on the K20D with manual focusing lenses has given me a much better accuracy on DOF than any camera I have ever tried.

The Liveview function of the K20D stops the lens down to the selected aperture and gives you good control of focus using high-speed manual focus lenses such as the 50 f1.2.

The ability to zoom in on selected parts of the image shown during liveview gives you a great advantage in selecting in-focus areas in low light situations when AF-users can just dream about getting focus where they want.

I can understand why Liveview has been looked upon as a useless thing by the AF crowd, but for manual focusing of "stationary" objects or during portrait protography with little available light it is a very valuable tool. A split-screen does not even come close.

These days I actually only use the split screen for fast focusing in good light. Other than that I don't even bother with it anymore. If you have the time, Liveview beats it hands down every time.
you can easily do the same in the k10/100d by just pulling the stop down lever or "dof" preview and focus then....