Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
Many thanks to all who have replied so far.

To answer one Magicoquestion, I have in the past not found a piece of software to create Audio Visual Presentations (NOT Videos) which are directly readable on a Windows machine. The conversion process was very time consuming. Running Windows on a Mac has been seriously considered but I would prefer not to do it if possible.

I also believe that tethering software for K5ii is more likely to available on Windows rather than Mac. Recent history suggests that products that run on Apple hardware are not the quickest to be updated for new Ricoh/Pentax cameras. I have also found items of Freeware which I would like to have but are only available for Windows and there has been no Mac equivalent.
Without your providing specific examples or even presentation requirements, I just don't understand your claims about "audio visual presentation" software. There are excellent Mac slide show presentation software titles. I find Keynote to be way more capable than PowerPoint (and I have been a PowerPoint user since before Microsoft purchased it from a Mac-only developer in 1987) and easier to use. Have you used FotoMagico?

As noted above, once again, Pentax compatibility updates are independent of operating system. LR updates are the same for all platforms.

M

09-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check out the refurbished Apple store on-line,
slightly older machines but they are not changing as fast now,
You can get good hardware at a reduced price, with a 1-year warranty & free shipping,
09-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
Many thanks to all who have replied so far.

To answer one question, I have in the past not found a piece of software to create Audio Visual Presentations (NOT Videos) which are directly readable on a Windows machine. The conversion process was very time consuming. Running Windows on a Mac has been seriously considered but I would prefer not to do it if possible.

I also believe that tethering software for K5ii is more likely to available on Windows rather than Mac. Recent history suggests that products that run on Apple hardware are not the quickest to be updated for new Ricoh/Pentax cameras. I have also found items of Freeware which I would like to have but are only available for Windows and there has been no Mac equivalent.
I have both a Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro. Run Parallels VM and Windows. Switch back and forth seamlessly. It works well for those "Windows only" apps and people. However by the time you buy Windows and Parallels and other software you could probably pick up a new lens!

YMMV

Michael
09-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My old (4 year old) 27 inch i7 iMac is chugging along so well, we aren't even thinking replacement. And that's the thing with MACs. people say they are more expensive, but this machine will be good a least 2 more years, probably a lot longer. If I take the purchase price of 2k and divide it by 8, I'm paying 250 a year for my computer. Compared to any of the 5 or 6 windows machines I owned, that's actually pretty cheap. For using a high end machine with a 27 inch monitor and an i7 processor, that's actually really cheap. And the iMac , in terms of overall experience is just nicer to use. None of my windows machine made it past 3 years. And this iMac hasn't been opened once. People talking about opening the case... that's Windows talk.

I have two 8 year old macs, a desktop and a lap top still chugging along. The laptop is the only laptop I own and I see no reason to buy a new one. The other one I use on occasion when guests turn up and want to check their email etc. Neither of these were high end, and I still had a windows machine when I bought the first one. The Windows machine is long gone. 6 years gone... cost of ownership on those old macs, about $100 a year for the years I've owned them.

Last edited by normhead; 09-06-2014 at 06:34 AM.
09-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.People talking about opening the case... that's Windows talk.
Ah but normhead, you could have a SSD in your 27" iMac I have two iMacs from around the same age, one at work and the other at home. I've put SSDs in both of them and they feel like new computers. The HDDs are usually the first thing to go. You just can't predict if or when. Could be 6 months, could be 8 years. Just had a HDD on a coworker's 3.5 year old iMac go. Just outside of Applecare's 3 year warranty. Put a SSD in and she couldn't be happier.
09-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It really depends on which software you want to use. If you plan to mainly use Windows software, or their Windows versions, it doesn't makes much sense to buy Apple hardware. If you plan to use Windows as your main system, it's just cheaper and less hassle to buy a Windows PC than configure a VM or dual boot on a Mac... Based on my experience, the VM works but are far from perfect and just doesn't compare with a natively run system. They're okay for casual use, but I would not recommend them for everyday use or serious work. And although Bootcamp works much better, it has the same problem as any multiboot system: you have to split disk space between both OS.
09-06-2014, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
It really depends on which software you want to use. If you plan to mainly use Windows software, or their Windows versions, it doesn't makes much sense to buy Apple hardware. If you plan to use Windows as your main system, it's just cheaper and less hassle to buy a Windows PC than configure a VM or dual boot on a Mac... Based on my experience, the VM works but are far from perfect and just doesn't compare with a natively run system. They're okay for casual use, but I would not recommend them for everyday use or serious work. And although Bootcamp works much better, it has the same problem as any multiboot system: you have to split disk space between both OS.
Usually Mac users aren't planning to use windows systems, there's just no real advantage to doing that. At least with a Mac system, you can boot into Windows if you need to. Many Apple machines are more Windows compliant than their Windows counterparts. It just takes the guess work out of wondering what non-compliant hardware some crazy company has built into your Windows machine.

I use no software that doesn't run native on Macs, and I'm happier that way. It's been years since software I actually use didn't run native on Apple machines, without running windows, and there's still a lot of Windows software out there, that would never meet Apple's ease of use specs.

You're grossly over-estimaqting the need for Windows in the modern world.

09-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

IMHO windows is for people who want to tinker with their machines and macs are for people who just want to have a computer that just works with minimal fuss.
09-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Usually Mac users aren't planning to use windows systems, there's just no real advantage to doing that. At least with a Mac system, you can boot into Windows if you need to. Many Apple machines are more Windows compliant than their Windows counterparts. It just takes the guess work out of wondering what non-compliant hardware some crazy company has built into your Windows machine.

I use no software that doesn't run native on Macs, and I'm happier that way. It's been years since software I actually use didn't run native on Apple machines, without running windows, and there's still a lot of Windows software out there, that would never meet Apple's ease of use specs.
I totally agree with you and this is the point, maybe not clear enough, of my last post: why buy a Mac to run Windows ? The Mac already is more than capable for any photographic or video editing needs without having to use Windows software.

You're grossly over-estimaqting the need for Windows in the modern world.
My post was not about the needs of Windows in the modern world, but based on the needs described by the OP:

QuoteQuote:
I am intending replacing my old 32 bit iMac, which has served well for eight years, with a new 64 bit iMac... My main current heavy use is the editing of photographs... I have considered going back to Windows for access to a wider range of photographic software and compatibiliy with the PCs being used by the majority of my photographic club members... Running Windows on a Mac has been seriously considered but I would prefer not to do it if possible.
From which I understood that he wants to run Windows software but plans to buy a Mac. Thus my suggestion: if he wants to mainly use Windows software, for whatever reasons, he's probably best to just buy a PC with Windows. If he wants to buy the Mac, no problem, but it's probably better then to use Mac software or their Mac versions. But buying a Mac if he wants to mainly use Windows software, just doesn't make much sense does it.

But, maybe it's me that just misunderstood the OP intentions.

Last edited by CarlJF; 09-07-2014 at 06:54 AM.
10-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

With a Mac, you only spend about half as much time maintaining the system compared to Windows. This will continue throughout the life of the system. If you know UNIX - especially if you tinker with it - you won't think of a Mac as a "computer for dummies" either!

Wait until this Thursday (October 16) and see what Apple announces - they're expected to update the iMacs. The new ones should offer more for your money, and the old ones may go on sale for a little bit lower price. There's also a chance they'll update the Mac Mini, which might be exactly what you're looking for. You can add whatever monitor you like (such as a 27" IPS model).

I refuse to run anything less than Windows 8 (or 8.1) on my Windows systems, except for an older laptop (about 8 years old now) that still runs XP. Every version of Windows in-between isn't very good - even the often-loved Windows 7 is really rather bloated and very mediocre overall. I use Windows mainly for recording TV shows (Windows Media Center, which is very good), a specific live video streaming application I use, and occasionally for Sony Movie Studio Platinum (also very good). I use OS X for most everything else.

Last edited by DSims; 10-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.
10-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #26

I'd certainly wait until the Apple presentation on 16 October to find out if it's releasing an upgraded Mac Mini. I use an iMac at work and don't like the display at all, trying to edit images when much of the office is being reflected back at you isn't much fun. I have an ageing Mac Mini, so old it has its own optical drive, and a modestly priced Dell Ultrasharp monitor and apart from the clear lack of power and speed I prefer that set up. So I have fingers crossed for a new Mac Mini. I've been holding off for a long time in the hope of a new model. Maxing out RAM (probably with reliable third-party units) would be sensible andan SSD or fusion drive would, I imagine, speed processes up considerably.
My own experience with Windows isn't extensive but I prefer Macs and OS X (apart from the glossy iMac displays) for sure.
10-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #27

I guess this will bring up some good old mac vs windows debate. If your budget is tight and if you want to keep it for longer I have to pick the windows side.

Not only it is cheaper, you will be able to upgrade it down the road. Like if you want a new graphic card or if you want to add a Hard drive or even a some ram or any other hardware that might interest you.

I know most people prefer mac for photography, but the truth is that windows is just as good now.

The reality is that for about 1000$ you can get a super fast PC with a great monitor. As for mac, you will have to pay around 2000$ for the same.

No matter what you pick, I suggest you get a SSD in the computer with 8gb of ram. Forget the hybrid or fusion drive as apple call them. SSD is way faster and is more "future proof".
10-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
For what it is worth here are my experiences. I was a long time Mac user from the first Mac back in 1984. I switched to PC because of the lower cost some 5 or 6 years ago. I built myself a PC based monster desktop two years ago (6 core i7 processor, RAID 10 and 32GB RAM, video card with 4GB RAM, etc.) to crunch Photoshop and video projects. I am not into video yet but I was planning ahead. Bear with me here. I am using the desktop with some seriously large Photoshop files. I am happy with it but I do not like the fact that it is not portable.

I bought my wife a 13" Macbook Pro with i5 processor for her birthday last year. I bought the base package with the goal of updating later. I ended up upgrading the RAM to 16GB with RAM from an outfit from the East Coast. The specs of the computer said 8GB max but the guys at the RAM place said that they have tested 16GB and it works. So I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and put in a 256GB SSD drive. The thing is a monster now. I use it a lot more than my desktop. I do want a laptop for myself. I want i7 processor but the Mac offerings are too expensive for my budget. I might look at Lenovo or Dell 15" offering and max out the RAM (Lenovo allows 32GB) and put in an SSD. I love my desktop but when I use my wife's less powerful laptop more than my top of the line desktop, then it is time to reconsider the whole computer issue. Bacause of the SSD, I never shut down the Macbook and even if I do the restart and loading of the software is lighting fast. If you are a power user and make money with your computer, I would highly recommend max RAM and an SSD boot drive. The difference in performance and time savings is dramatic.

Just my two cents.
Do you have a SSD in your desktop PC?

As you compared both computers, you bring out a good point. You had to go to the shop to add a ssd and ram. You could probably add a ssd and ram in your desktop computer in about 10 minutes for half the price.

The bottom line is that if you are on a tight budget and want real performance, you gotta go with PC, sorry. It's the reality.
10-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tranceplante Quote
Do you have a SSD in your desktop PC?

As you compared both computers, you bring out a good point. You had to go to the shop to add a ssd and ram. You could probably add a ssd and ram in your desktop computer in about 10 minutes for half the price.

The bottom line is that if you are on a tight budget and want real performance, you gotta go with PC, sorry. It's the reality.
Well the reality is if you'r on a tight budget you're going to make compromises. But a lot of those are false savings. Sure they get you up and running, but you pay with your time, talking to tech support... etc. that's also the reality. You save money at the start, ou pay extra for the life of the machine. My school Board's estimate was it takes about 18 months to recover the cost difference in maintenance and repair, and teachers and support staff suffer much less aggravation. That's also reality.

I even know an executive in a large computer company who bought Mac's for his whole family, because he was so tired of being the support guy and having to keep everyone's Windows machines running.

As we used to say when I sold computers at a store that sold both... buy a Mac if you can afford it.
It's pay now, or pay later.
10-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a PC user since 1982. I've been a Mac user since 1986. In general, Macs last longer and take less "fidgeting". I still use both every day. In all those years I only ever purchased one lemon. A 2013 MBP 15". Never was right. Never could get it to be 100% reliable. Towards the end I spent hundreds of hours babysitting it. Thankfully, AppleCare replaced it with a brand new laptop which has been humming along splendidly ever since. As such, I'm a big fan of AppleCare.

YMMV

Michael