Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is common knowledge that for people living in the Pacific Northwest region of North America, carrying an umbrella is a sign of weakness. We assault the damp gloom of winter with no more than Gortex and a good hat/hood. We do a lot of standing in the rain.
I started watching this new series called "The killing" and noticed nobody uses umbrellas and it`s always raining! The setting is Seattle. That`s something different. I like to think of the rain as just another state of weather. I mean, if the sun is too strong we wear sun cream, glasses, a hat. If it`s windy, a windstopper, if it`s raining, water proof closes and so on. Hate umbrellas too, but if you must be working with tools they are surprisingly comfortable and helpful.

09-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, one of the best street photographers that I know does not rely on stealth. In fact, he often actively engages with his subjects.* I dabble in street work when feeling brave and can make these generalities:
Did you know Street Photography actually is a scientific category of Anthropology? Karen Nakumura at Yale has made Photoethnography.com, a truly extensive web resource, technique guide and blog on the subject as well as a really deep 'Classic Gear' section. She counsels engaging the subject and using shorter, wider lenses also - and against use of telephoto.*

*Warning - save this for a cold, rainy day when you have nothing else planned - it is fascinating.
09-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KramerTC Quote
No reports on the shutter loudness of the KS-1 yet...i think that is a somewhat important piece of information for people considering the KS-1 against the K30/K50.
Hopefully this comes out soon. The one beef I have with the K-30/K-50 for street photography is the loudness of its shutter. The K-50's shutter is definitely louder than the K-5's, though not as loud as the K20D's.
09-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you know Street Photography actually is a scientific category of Anthropology?
I did! And I am familiar with Karen Nakumura's Web site as a result of her classic gear section.

Steve

09-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did!
I didn't actually mean you!
09-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I didn't actually mean you!
You didn't? I thought everything was about ME...

Steve