Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i have a DIY LED ring light. it's composed of 24, 20,000mcd LEDs. it provides plenty of light but i still think off camera flash gives a better image, more of a 3D image. here's a pic of it with a DIY reversing ring and another DIY ring for attaching accessories to the rear of the reversed lens. this is really quite a project.

as you can see here there is a lot of delicate soldering to be done. i know the finished product is not very pretty but it was results i wanted..

01-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
wow! that looks cool how did you do that? and what are the "things" at the end of the flashes? diffusers?
I do have a sigma 500 and an old vivitar flash that doesn't work with a pentax but I could likely have a slave trigger and set it on manual

cheers

randy
the difussers are from the bottom of a suppliment bottle. the grip i made out of the bottom plate of an old flash unit, some bent 1/4'' aluminum stock, a grip from ebay($8), and a tripod mount hotshoe adapter. i'll post a pic of just it if you want me too.

link to the small flashes?????
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

"i know the finished product is not very pretty but it was results i wanted"

did u get them thow..???

i thought of doing something like it yeas ago but the high cost of enough leds to do the job kinda put me off..

they are cheap now but is it worth doing.. does it produce the desired results.. ??

trog
01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #19
roy
Inactive Account

it depends on what you want. personally, i don't like the final image, it's too flat. off camera flash gives a lot more depth to the image. here's a few taken with the LEDs. ck the exif, it should be in there.

i just shot these to give a newer idea of the end product. these were shot at 1:1, f8 in Av mode. sorry about the subjects but it's sleeting outside.

if this is what you want, i'll be happy to help.. oh, you're right, it does look like sh** but it works.

01-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

thanks for your answer..

i see what u mean about the flat lack of depth factor.. how about power would it work at say F22 1/60 of a second for example..

and have u tried it really close up.. does it leave a dark unlit area in the middle for example when very close up..

what i am after is handheld live outdoor insect type shots..

i have thought of fixing a bunch of leds to a velcro strip and rapping it around the lens as one alternative..

but light is the problem with live close up macros

trog
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
thanks for your answer..

i see what u mean about the flat lack of depth factor.. how about power would it work at say F22 1/60 of a second for example..
i usually shoot at f16, ck the exif
and have u tried it really close up.. does it leave a dark unlit area in the middle for example when very close up..
that's why i left the leads with about 3/4'' exposed so you can focus the light for different lenses.
what i am after is handheld live outdoor insect type shots..
it's worked for me.
i have thought of fixing a bunch of leds to a velcro strip and rapping it around the lens as one alternative..
i'm not sure that would work. you have to have one resister per LED.but light is the problem with live close up macros

trog
message to short
01-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trev99 Quote
Thanks Randy, that seems quite the setup you have there, and your idea using LED's might be just the ticket. I shall print off your ideas for future reference. Maybe we can connect later after I have had a bit of time to get used to my K10D (due to be delivered tomorrow) My email address is antrev@cogeco.ca.......I am quite handy too and have devised umpteen gadgets for my other hobbies..(fishing diving and boating) so I would be interested in jury-rigging a lighting setup for macro a little later on.
regards Tony.

I can't say that the LED is mine but getting together sound great. there are a small group of people on here that want to get together in the spring somewhere around the GTO. I live 2 hours north, but don' mind the drive.

I think a get together would be quite intesting... but the only problem is I work every weekend... maybe during the week though

cheers

randy

01-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Roy, this is amazing, DIY of a diffuse light that works out well!

I am saving for a pentax flash at present

Cheers
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what do you mean by eye but here is just simple FA 100/2.8 Macro.