Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what are the signs your shutter is sticking?

sometimes I will take a shot and the shutter sounds like it is stuck..... and the photo will be very overexposed.
It sometimes happens when I first start up the camera, and a lot of times it is usually 2 or 3 shots in a row.
I would say in the last 200 shots, maybe 5 turned out this way.
If it is shutter stick, then what are the possible causes?

battery seems to be charged enough. would it do this because of the battery being a bit low?

any ideas?

has this ever happened to you?

thanks

randy

01-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

How closely do you watch your shutter speed at the time of release? Also, what metering mode are you in? I ask because this can happen if you are in spot metering and the portion of your image in the spot zone is rather dark. This would result in the image as a whole being quite over exposed. Just a thought. It has happened to me when I had been in spot for a while and forgot to change it back, wondering why my exposures are off until I realized that I was in the wrong metering mode. In spot mode you have to be fairly critical of where you collect your reading. This may not be what's going on here but it was the first thing I thought of so I mentioned it.
01-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Two seperate times while Practicing with my K100D I inadvertently selected an inoperable combination of settings and each time the shutter would freeze . I ammedietely shut the camera off and then on again after which everything was back to normal. ...never did find out the exact reason but nothing was damaged.
01-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
How closely do you watch your shutter speed at the time of release? Also, what metering mode are you in? I ask because this can happen if you are in spot metering and the portion of your image in the spot zone is rather dark. This would result in the image as a whole being quite over exposed. Just a thought. It has happened to me when I had been in spot for a while and forgot to change it back, wondering why my exposures are off until I realized that I was in the wrong metering mode. In spot mode you have to be fairly critical of where you collect your reading. This may not be what's going on here but it was the first thing I thought of so I mentioned it.
it was on muti meter. also, it happened tonight with my sigma 500 super attached.
I should have posted it.

thanks so far!

randy

01-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trev99 Quote
Two seperate times while Practicing with my K100D I inadvertently selected an inoperable combination of settings and each time the shutter would freeze . I ammedietely shut the camera off and then on again after which everything was back to normal. ...never did find out the exact reason but nothing was damaged.
did the photo turn out dark or way over exposed like mine?

I am guessing it happened about 10 times in aprox 500 shots since I owned the K10

thanks

randy.
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Randy, this one has definitely got me stumped. The only other time I have had a shutter seem to stick like that is when I had a battery give out mid shot. It hadn't given any signs of aging and even re-powered the camera for a few minutes after the freeze, but didn't want to function at that moment. I don't think that is the case with your camera since lithiums don't act like that. Let's hope more comments come in with some other suggestions.
01-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
sometimes I will take a shot and the shutter sounds like it is stuck..... and the photo will be very overexposed.
What does the EXIF look like on one of these images?

dave
01-30-2007, 06:24 AM   #8

Hi Randy,

I've had it twice. Once with my istD and once with my K10D. Both times with my 360 flash attached. No change of settings and pictures before were fine, but then for no apparent reason, the shutter would 'stick' and I had to switch the camera off, before it cleared. No problems afterwards, no change of settings. I think it has something to do with the communication between the flash and body. Flash not giving it the right shutter speed.

As you've described it happening with your flash attached, I think that that is where the problem lies. Just one of those 'features' as Mt Gates calles them.

Cheers
Mike