Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #1

Pentax k52s and full manual lens working issue

Hello,
I am new here and this is my first post. Maybe deep in the forum I can find the solution for my problem but I don't know what to search for.
I have a Pentax K5 IIs and the following lens:
Revuenon 50mm f1.4 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The lens is working fine with Pentax K1000 but mounted on DSLR the changing of aperture doesn't want to work. The DSLR had the Using Aperture Ring set on Permitted but when I rotate the aperture ring on a higher value the shutter speed value doesn't suffer any changes. The picture has a shallow depth of field which told me that the aperture is wide open.
I need a special adapter for this lens or what to do?

Thank you so much.
Ovidiu.

09-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using non A lenses on Pentax DSLRs require a bit more than just allowing the aperture ring setting. I suggest you have a read through the information in the link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

And welcome to PentaxForums!
09-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. I read parts of the thread and I took some information from there but a lot of responses are not for me.
I see also the thread was closed and I cannot put my question.

The aperture ring must be set to wide open or closed before mounting on the camera? Which can be the possible reasons why the aperture is not physically set on the desired position marked on the ring? The aperture is allowed to close somehow by the camera pin when the shutter is pressed?

The issue is that even with the aperture ring set on f22 the shutter speed is very fast and the depth of field is shallow.
The camera is set on Manual Focus, AV Mode, Using Aperture Ring - Permitted.
I need to change another settings or the lens is not fully compatible with a DSLR camera?
09-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
The issue is that even with the aperture ring set on f22 the shutter speed is very fast and the depth of field is shallow.
I need to change another settings or the lens is not fully compatible with a DSLR camera?
In Av mode your camera will only shoot with aperture wide open using a K- or M-series type of lens (which you use).
You need to set the camera to M-mode and the press green button for the camera to set the exposure.

09-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
You lens is less compatible on a Pentax dSLR than on your K1000, but at least the lens stops down automatically at exposure time. As noted above:
  • Aperture ring enabled
  • M-mode
  • Stop-down (green button) metering
  • Meter once and use the same settings until either the light or subject changes
  • Use the image histogram to fine-tune your exposures

Steve
09-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for these helping informations. I will try to do so and see the results.
Thank you.