Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #16

Original Poster
Still sitting on the fence with this and it's a good thing because I'm saving some $$$ right now and I'm trying to wait out Photokina but I really don't think that Pentax is going to announce anything major like an upgrade from the K-3.

Yesterday I tried taking some photos of one of my dogs in low light with my K-01 and the 35 2.4 and the auto focus searching was driving me crazy. It was very disappointing. I was going to buy a 50mm 1.4 and probably should have done that when it was on sale. The auto focus is just so inconsistent especially in low light when trying to focus on very dark or very light/white objects.

It's also very difficult to get photos of my little guy in available light. He is too fast and does not like the camera and when the K-01 starts searching the photo session is over with quickly because he will run away and hide.

Attached Images

09-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
Still sitting on the fence with this and it's a good thing because I'm saving some $$$ right now and I'm trying to wait out Photokina but I really don't think that Pentax is going to announce anything major like an upgrade from the K-3.

Yesterday I tried taking some photos of one of my dogs in low light with my K-01 and the 35 2.4 and the auto focus searching was driving me crazy. It was very disappointing. I was going to buy a 50mm 1.4 and probably should have done that when it was on sale. The auto focus is just so inconsistent especially in low light when trying to focus on very dark or very light/white objects.

It's also very difficult to get photos of my little guy in available light. He is too fast and does not like the camera and when the K-01 starts searching the photo session is over with quickly because he will run away and hide.
I would think (and hope) some of the Pentax stuff will be on sale after Photokina even though they may not have upgrade models to be announced simply because the competition may be something to compete with.

I agree that k-01 is not the fastest focusing camera out there (by a very long shot), but you should be able to get focus locked without too much problem depending on your technique and lighting condition. In your example, you are not helping yourself with a nice shot of the bird in the cage; why not move the position of the object so you get more lights? I do have the k-01 and it is not bad IMHO, but of course, I have the k-5IIs if I really want to get the shot in dim light.
09-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Would you mind explaining in a little more detail what makes the K-5 IIs better for low light?
/daring to speak for another/
The IIs' 16Mpx sensor hits a sweet spot for resolution and noise that is hard to beat. The 24Mpx sensor has improved resolution by nature of increased pixels, but apparently the price is somewhat higher noise levels overall; so at high ISO the noise degrades the resolution such that the IIs is similar. Some amount of PP with the K-3 should maintain its better standing, but for the price the IIs is mighty good.
/dare/
09-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I In your example, you are not helping yourself with a nice shot of the bird in the cage; why not move the position of the object so you get more lights? I do have the k-01 and it is not bad IMHO, but of course, I have the k-5IIs if I really want to get the shot in dim light.
I know but sometimes one just has to grab the camera and take the photo quickly. It was night time and the lighting in my home is not all that bright.
Now I've thrown another camera into the mix, not Pentax though.

09-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Sounds like a lightup cam is not for you safox xi will definitely let you shoot in low light!

I just let my K-01 depart to help pay for a K-s1. The new camera is the right mix for me when it comes to size, feature set (esp. K-3 subset) and offbeat looks, and the 20Mpx sensor with no AA will put my K-5 in foul weather reserve. I see it as a K-01-plus with viewfinder and some 2014 tech. Yes the k-50 is very nice but SR w/rotation and a few other extras are worth it to me; the K-3 is top notch but many of its extras would get very little play in my hands.

As to bonus announcements I am hoping for two K lenses, but we will know soon!
09-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Sounds like a lightup cam is not for you safox xi will definitely let you shoot in low light!

I just let my K-01 depart to help pay for a K-s1. The new camera is the right mix for me when it comes to size, feature set (esp. K-3 subset) and offbeat looks, and the 20Mpx sensor with no AA will put my K-5 in foul weather reserve. I see it as a K-01-plus with viewfinder and some 2014 tech. Yes the k-50 is very nice but SR w/rotation and a few other extras are worth it to me; the K-3 is top notch but many of its extras would get very little play in my hands.

As to bonus announcements I am hoping for two K lenses, but we will know soon!
When I see what Pentax is offering for their upcoming lineup (maybe there will be a surprise or two, though) I am considering upgrading my Panasonic Lumix system rather than my Pentax gear.
As for a lightup camera, I considered this one but thought it was too plasticky.

Extra special lightup camera

Congrats. on your upcoming K-S1. Hope that works out for you.

Last edited by iamwhoiam; 09-15-2014 at 12:04 PM.