Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #1

Pentax KX liveview gain/ brightness increase?

I've been using the KX for astronomy with good results, but recently I tried to achieve better focus using a Bahtinov mask placed over the front 135mm lens. Since the focus is best achieved with liveview, I tried to focus with the mask but the stars are a little too dim to reveal the spikes needed for focus adjustment with the mask in place. Is there any way to increase the gain/ exposure/ brightness of stars while using liveview? I tried changing ISO but nothing happened. Thanks.

09-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I imagine there is a way to adjust brightness and contrast of the LCD
Possibly in 'playback' menu...

Might not be what you have in mind, though..?

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 10:01 AM ----------

try raising the flash. goofy suggestion, but i know my compact increases gain on LCD when i raise the flash. makes evaluation of ambient like useless so i have to lower the flash again to do that. maybe raising flash (of course, i know you won't use flash) will cause LCD to gain up to 'simulate' flash exposure. then put flash down to take picture...
09-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctron Quote
I've been using the KX for astronomy with good results, but recently I tried to achieve better focus using a Bahtinov mask placed over the front 135mm lens. Since the focus is best achieved with liveview, I tried to focus with the mask but the stars are a little too dim to reveal the spikes needed for focus adjustment with the mask in place. Is there any way to increase the gain/ exposure/ brightness of stars while using liveview? I tried changing ISO but nothing happened. Thanks.
That is a tough one. I don't have a K-x, but you can increase the display brightness in the setup menu, item 2. This probably will not increase the contrast, but may help offset the light loss due to the Bahtinov mask. How is the view with the optical viewfinder?

Steve
09-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Steve, if you mean trying to focus with the mask in place and using the viewfinder... not a chance. With live view, I can at least zoom in enough to see individual stars, but the mask diffraction pattern fails to show up.

09-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctron Quote
Steve, if you mean trying to focus with the mask in place and using the viewfinder...
I suspected as much. Is a small field monitor an option?

Steve
09-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should be using 1st mag stars or brighter with a mask. If your K-x allows you to zoom in in live view mode then do so. Focus is the most critical part of an astro session so you need to get it right..