Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
full photoshop raw support for K10 on Feb 19

Adobe camera raw update 3.7 will include full raw support (.PEF)(hope that is the extension ) for the K10

Rob Galbraith DPI: Camera Raw 3.7 slated for release at same time as Lightroom

lightroom 1.0 will be a purchase product, and the free beta will no longer work.

wonder if full support of PEF from K10 will "fix" some of the minor problems some people suggest are from .DNG?

cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-29-2007 at 08:09 PM.
01-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Good news! I will keep an eye on their site!
Ole
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Even better news is that it will be compatible with Lightroom generated RAW adjustments which means it may have much of what will be in ACR4. I have been beta testing ACR4 with Photoshop CS3 and I have to say that the improvements are awesome. I am looking forward to seeing 3.7 with K10 support.
01-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So have I. I really love ACR 4.0. The range of adjustments is just awesome. Too bad about not releasing an update to 4.0.

01-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Even better news is that it will be compatible with Lightroom generated RAW adjustments which means it may have much of what will be in ACR4. I have been beta testing ACR4 with Photoshop CS3 and I have to say that the improvements are awesome. I am looking forward to seeing 3.7 with K10 support.

what is ACR4?

thanks

randy
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Adobe Camera Raw 4. It is the upgrade to camera raw 3.x which will be coming out this spring with Photoshop CS3. Additions include highlight recovery, fill light, much better curves control, much better black and white conversion, much better color correction, better preset options, and more.
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adobe Camera Raw 4. It is the upgrade to camera raw 3.x which will be coming out this spring with Photoshop CS3. Additions include highlight recovery, fill light, much better curves control, much better black and white conversion, much better color correction, better preset options, and more.

thanks

wish I could afford it

randy
01-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
wish I could afford it
Well, I think everything in Camera Raw is going to be available in Lightroom - and that will cost $199 between its release mid-Feb until sometime in April.

Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom

There will still be some tasks that require Photoshop. But I don't do any of those things. I don't own Photoshop. I have Photoshop Elements but I never use it. Lightroom is very powerful and does everything I want to do with my photographs and then some. And it's a lot less costly than CS2 ($650?).

Will

01-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, I think everything in Camera Raw is going to be available in Lightroom - and that will cost $199 between its release mid-Feb until sometime in April.

Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom

There will still be some tasks that require Photoshop. But I don't do any of those things. I don't own Photoshop. I have Photoshop Elements but I never use it. Lightroom is very powerful and does everything I want to do with my photographs and then some. And it's a lot less costly than CS2 ($650?).

Will

after getting a 2 thousand dollar loan for my K10 setup, everything is out of my reach
a couple of years..... a couple of years I keep telling myself
01-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This Adobe 'Lightroom' is something that I, myself, (thanks to the info, here) will be seriously considering. I have a copy of Photoshop 7, that someone shared with me, a while back, but (as I am looking to make some money with my efforts, now) I don't feel 'right' about a continuance with its usage. I have enough money left to buy CS2, but if 'Lightroom' would do the job for me - I would have a few hundred left by which to put towards another lens. From what I have gathered here, it sounds as if 'Lightroom' would be just the ticket.
01-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
This Adobe 'Lightroom' is something that I, myself, (thanks to the info, here) will be seriously considering. I have a copy of Photoshop 7, that someone shared with me, a while back, but (as I am looking to make some money with my efforts, now) I don't feel 'right' about a continuance with its usage. I have enough money left to buy CS2, but if 'Lightroom' would do the job for me - I would have a few hundred left by which to put towards another lens. From what I have gathered here, it sounds as if 'Lightroom' would be just the ticket.
before you buy lightroom, I would wait until Photoshop CS3 is avalible for trial download. it will have a few features that are simular to lightroom including a raw editor that will share some of the lightroom features, a better and faster organizer then CS2 as well

lightroom is very much geared towards workflow, photoshop CS3 is very much geared to photo editing, ect.

not saying lightroom isn't worth the money, but in my opinion is for more for professional photographers would do a lot of photoshoots like weddings etc.

Just my 2 cents

cheers

randy
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
lightroom is very much geared towards workflow, photoshop CS3 is very much geared to photo editing, ect.

not saying lightroom isn't worth the money, but in my opinion is for more for professional photographers would do a lot of photoshoots like weddings etc.
I'm not a pro and don't shoot weddings. But I've found Lightroom so far to be the best thing available for my needs as a hobbyist.

During the beta period, Adobe has hosted a pubic discussion list (several, actually) and there has been some talk about exactly where Lightroom fits into the picture, given that a lot of serious photographers (both pro and amateur) use CS2 or at least Photoshop Element's editor to edit their photos. The sense of the list jives with my own experience with Lightroom, which is that Lightroom is indeed aimed at pro photographers and serious amateurs - but that it is definitely meant to provide all the editing tools that the photographer needs for normal use. Photoshop will be needed only if you want truly to modify your photograph fairly aggressively, something I personally almost never want to do. I believe that Lightroom v1 will have a clone tool (although I may be misremembering what I've read about that) but it will not have layers and will not have the range of creative modification (or out-and-out original drawing) that Photoshop has. You won't be able to comb your subject's hair or give your subject a nose job in Lightroom. But if you want to process your photos rather than edit them, then Lightroom is all you'll ever need. In short, trog100 may have nightmares about Photoshop, but he should not lose any sleep over Lightroom. :-)

Lightroom is definitely aimed at photographers who take a lot of photographs. I take enough photos to include myself in that group. I have 500 pictures to edit from last weekend, and I shudder at the thought of having to do it in a program that was largely a one-at-a-time editor. Amateurs who take only a few photos will be happy with programs like Photoshop Elements, Lightzone, or Google's Picasa (which is free!). I don't mention Bibble or some others because I don't know them well enough - but I bet they figure in here, too. Personally I would like to use Lightzone, but while it's good at handling individual pictures, it's not so good at managing lots of pictures. That's a good bit of Lightroom's raison d'etre, however.

My guess is that Lightroom will almost immediately become The Standard, meaning that books about digital photography that in the past had chapters on Photoshop will start having chapters on Lightroom instead. Meanwhile, Photoshop and CS2 (or CS3) will become The High End Tools for special uses. I think Adobe expects to sell a lot of copies of Lightroom at $200 (later $300) a box. Only the truly dedicated will spring the extra $600 or whatever it will be for CS3. My wild guess is that ACR and Bridge will fairly soon disappear and that Lightroom will become part of CS3 or some future release. I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, but I do understand that the next release of ACR and Bridge will bring their functions and feature sets closer to Lightroom's.

I'm sure that, in the short term especially, many who are very comfortable with ACR, Bridge and Photoshop will stick with those tools. It is not clear to me why anybody who has those tools now and likes them would switch to Lightroom. And yet the Adobe LR beta list included many, many folks who apparently used to be Photoshop aces who are all excited about Lightroom. What I do know (or think I know) is that anybody who has Lightroom will basically have ACR and Bridge and many, if not most of the photography-specific functions of Photoshop: for adjusting white balance, tint, contrast (the tones curve), sharpening, noise, etc.

In the meantime, I notice that the competing products are still there and development appears to be active. It's a big market - lots of folks out there with cameras, with different needs and different work-styles, not to mention different amounts of money to spend. I'm personally rather excited to have so many good options. If you have found something you like, stick with it! Switching programs is a pain.

Will
02-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #13

Typically, Adobe makes the latest version of Camera Raw available as a stand-alone at or soon after its release bundled with some product like Lighroom. Just an FYI, so you don't have to scrimp on the $$$ to buy it!
Rob W
02-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
Inactive Account

My problem with Lightroom is that I still need Photoshop. Adobe has stated quite openly that they do not intend for Lightroom to ever replace Photoshop. So... where I like Lightroom, it is not a matter of saving me money over Photoshop, it is a matter of costing more money on top of Photoshop. Good thing the upgrades to Photoshop run under $200 or I'd be sunk.
02-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My problem with Lightroom is that I still need Photoshop. Adobe has stated quite openly that they do not intend for Lightroom to ever replace Photoshop. So... where I like Lightroom, it is not a matter of saving me money over Photoshop, it is a matter of costing more money on top of Photoshop.
Yes, Photoshop will continue to exist as a product because a lot of what Photoshop does has nothing much to do with photographs at all. Lightroom simply breaks out the photo-processing tasks that were done previously by ACR, Bridge and (to some extent) by PHotoshop, and put 'em all in one program dedicated exclusively to photography.

Which prompts me to ask: what kinds of things do you still need to do in PHotoshop? Not a challenge, just a question. I don't use Photoshop at all, so I'm never sure what folks are doing with it.

Will