Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2
HDR Time Lapse and the K10D

Hello all,

I have been successfully using my K10D for shooting HDR panoramas for a couple of months now. After some workflow adjustments to get the process as efficient as it can be, I am now pretty happy with things. My next experimentation is to be HDR time lapse.

However, I have been 'playing' with Remote Assistant v3 for a couple of days now and while it is okay software, it has a few limitations. First, it appears you can take only 99 shots (can't do much serious time lapse with only 99 shots at 5- or 10-second intervals). Secondly, and very importantly, there does not seem to be a way to trigger the shutter and hold it for the full duration necessary to fire the bracketed HDR sequence. What I need is to have the full 3- or 5-exposure BRACKET fire at specificed intervals, not each exposure (if you have played with Remote Assistant, you know what I am talking about here).

I have seen in the forum that within the K20D, there is reference to a setting under the 'Custom' menu that allows the full bracket to be fired with only a momentary tap of the shutter button. Can anyone confirm that it is possible to fire a complete 3- or 5-exposure bracket at timed intervals with a single shutter click (and not via 'holding down' the shutter for the full bracket)? Is there any chance the next version of K10D firmware (v1.30 is the one I am using) might add this ability, if it exists currently in the K20D?

If this doesn't work, I am thinking of using Remote Assistant to do everything BUT trip the shutter. For the shutter trip, I can hack a timer through my USB port to plug into the shutter cable socket and my PC and write a little VB program to trip and hold the shutter for the bracket duration at specified time intervals (which would fix both issues mentioned above), but I figured surely someone else must have run across this and found a solution. I don't see a need to re-invent the wheel if someone else already has :-)

Anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated!


Last edited by nip2655; 05-12-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 976
Arduino (or Boarduino)+ 2.5mm stereo plug
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
AlexM's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Covina, CA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 162
The K20D can fire 3 or 5 shot bracketed shots with a single keypress without having to hold the shutter button down. I use it all the time when I shoot HDR. It makes things much easier than trying to hold the shutter button down and counting the shots.

The K200D also has this feature but is limited to 3 bracketed shots with a single keypress. (Page 124 of the K200D user manual).

Personally I don't think that Pentax is going to be adding any new features to the K10D with any firmware updates. It doesn't make any marketing sense to do so.

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 05-12-2008 at 03:24 PM.
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 13
K20 hdr

Just bought the K20 and can't seem to find in the manual how to take a HDR shot. Can any one help me on this one?

07-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 525
QuoteOriginally posted by ticats Quote
Just bought the K20 and can't seem to find in the manual how to take a HDR shot. Can any one help me on this one?
I do not have K20D and I am not an expert, but I think there is no special feature for taking HDR picture. You just simply bracket to have one overexposed picture, one underexposed and one "sort of in the middle". Then you can use Photoshop to merge them into HDR picture. Correct me if I am wrong please.
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member
sewebster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
The K20D can fire 3 or 5 shot bracketed shots with a single keypress without having to hold the shutter button down. I use it all the time when I shoot HDR. It makes things much easier than trying to hold the shutter button down and counting the shots.

The K200D also has this feature but is limited to 3 bracketed shots with a single keypress. (Page 124 of the K200D user manual).

Personally I don't think that Pentax is going to be adding any new features to the K10D with any firmware updates. It doesn't make any marketing sense to do so.

Alex
I have the K200D and you have to hold the shutter button down to get it to take the 3 auto-bracket shots. If you release, it sets the exposure to the next bracket setting but you have to press the shutter again to take the shot (if you don't eventually it times out and sets the exposure back to "normal"). This is basically what it says in the manual (p126). There isn't a custom setting to change this behaviour.

The K20D manual says that there is a custom option to enable "one push bracketing" (bottom of p130).

Last edited by sewebster; 07-17-2008 at 11:53 AM.
07-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 13
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
07-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
gamgee's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Osijek, Croatia
Posts: 116
Nip, could you post your workflow for HDR panoramas?
I wanted to try and get maximum quality HDR panoramas by shooting in RAW but have trouble finding software that can stitch all that together without converting to TIFF 8-bit.

07-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by nip2655 Quote
I have seen in the forum that within the K20D, there is reference to a setting under the 'Custom' menu that allows the full bracket to be fired with only a momentary tap of the shutter button. Can anyone confirm that it is possible to fire a complete 3- or 5-exposure bracket at timed intervals with a single shutter click (and not via 'holding down' the shutter for the full bracket)? Is there any chance the next version of K10D firmware (v1.30 is the one I am using) might add this ability, if it exists currently in the K20D?

If this doesn't work, I am thinking of using Remote Assistant to do everything BUT trip the shutter. For the shutter trip, I can hack a timer through my USB port to plug into the shutter cable socket and my PC and write a little VB program to trip and hold the shutter for the bracket duration at specified time intervals (which would fix both issues mentioned above), but I figured surely someone else must have run across this and found a solution. I don't see a need to re-invent the wheel if someone else already has :-)

Anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't think the K20D will do what you want by itself. First, the built in interval shooting has the same 99 image limit. Second, although the K20D does allow one-press bracketing and it works well, bracketing is disabled in the interval shooting mode (I just tried it).

I'd probably get a K20D, configure it for one-touch bracketing, then use a remote timer (I think the Canon TC80N3 and several others should work) I haven't tried it this setup, but the one touch bracketing works fine with the wireless remote control, so I assume it will also work with a wired one.

I'd love to see some of your HDR time lapses when they're done.
07-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
Nip, could you post your workflow for HDR panoramas?
I wanted to try and get maximum quality HDR panoramas by shooting in RAW but have trouble finding software that can stitch all that together without converting to TIFF 8-bit.
you might check out AutoPano Pro by Kolor. Their website seems to be down for me right now, but I think it is supposed to be able to do HDR stitching. I think it works with raw files too.
07-20-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
gamgee's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Osijek, Croatia
Posts: 116
Thanks, that's what I'm using or trying to use, but it does not work on my latest try. It seems that panorama consisting from sky (no clouds) and sea is a bit too much for the stitching algoritm since it can't find the connection anchors on few places in the panorama (yes there is quite large overlap, I checked).
09-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 35
I've been generating HDR timelapse for about a year and a half now. Just wondered over into the Pentax line lately because of the 5 bracket +/-4eV feature (quite unique actually..)

HDR Timelapse - High Dynamic Range Video
MILapse's videos on Vimeo
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
assistant, bracket, camera, dslr, fire, hdr, intervals, k10d, lapse, photography, shutter, time, trip
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TIME LAPSE on K7 leadguitarest Video and Pentax HDSLRs 29 06-01-2011 09:40 AM
Time-lapse with a K10D pxjunkie Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 08-31-2010 10:32 AM
Time Lapse Photography with the K10d rimofheaven Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 12-29-2009 01:58 PM
K10D does time-lapse pop4 Post Your Photos! 5 04-24-2009 01:46 AM
K10D and Time Lapse Photography konraDarnok Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 08-23-2007 11:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top