Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re-Thinking my current gear

I'm re-thinking my current gear - somewhat across the board (body and lenses). My K5, I really like, a lot!!! Absolutely, no reason to upgrade. I have not felt any urge to upgrade to the K3. I essentially have the funds in an envelope in my sock drawer - and the money is not burning a hole in my pocket. Having said that, with Photokia just around the corner and the the K5IIs on something of a fire sale here (which kind of makes me think that there is one more body to announce), I'm considering a number of options.
  • If a new body is announced - as a K3 replacement, I would probably not be interested for at least a year.
  • If a new FF body is announced, I would probably not be interested in at least 2 years.
  • I'm not inclined to go with the K-s1. Not really interested in the flashing LED light show.
  • If either a K3 replacement or FF body is/are announced with some very specific features, I could be convinced to pry open the checkbook - but, I am doubting that will be the case.
The things I would be very interested in are (but not holding my breath in seeing any of these items soon):
  • Tethering
  • Some sort of super resolution mode making use of the movable sensor (as in 64MP using the current 16MP sensor)
  • Tilting rear monitor.
  • 7 frame bracketing (I know, I can do that manually, but....)
  • ISO 50 or 25 with really very low noise. A small breakthrough in the sensor.
I usually wait till all the problems are found and fixed along with the body's price breaking below the $1K threshold.

I would not mind keeping my current K5 for another 2 to 3 years - absolutely nothing wrong with it and I am probably running at total of 10K shots (looks brand new and has always been in my padded camera backpack when not in use). But, the K5IIs with the improved AF and the AA gone (slight increase in resolution, and better low clean ISO then the K3, with excellent dynamic range), is of interest - especially at the current prices. For landscape/cityscapes at low ambient light - the low clean ISO and slight resolution improvement makes a reasonable case for moving slightly up. I consider the 16MP sensor a watershed sensor - and the 24MP at best an equivalent in the areas I'm interested in. If a new killer K body / sensor combination does not magically appear - and I am betting that what ever may be announced will not move me to write a check, then I might be inclined to upgrade to the K5IIs for the next 3 to 5 years (it's probably running 10:1 that nothing new of interest appears).

In parallel, I am re-evaluating my lenses. I'm in my mid 60's and manual focusing - especially on the telephoto end is just getting to be too difficult. I have not been able to hit it in a while, and my eyesight is not getting any better. I am thinking of trading in my A300/f4 and culling some of my other lenses that I am not using for the 60-250. I am thinking that lens with the K5IIs improved AF will be a wonderful combination. Possibly with a teleconverter to extend its range, will be a pretty good set. I am set on the wide end of things, and my lenses would only be better without the AA.

The other thing and its small to most folks - but important is an L bracket. I have a custom L bracket for the K5 from Kirk. It is glued to the body - never comes off and I use a tripod a lot. I have not seen any custom L brackets for the K3 and who knows what will happen with anything new. The IIs is the same body, and I am thinking I will be set - with an extended warranty to boot.

Still working, but will probably retire at the end of next year. So, what if anything might I be missing?

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.
09-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I also have a original K-5. I am sorely tempted to get the K-3 but I have been waiting until I hear what is coming out next. In another few days I will know what's on the horizon

The K-5II/s would suit me just fine, but the improved AF and more mexapixels would be nice.

What I don't know is if the K-3 is the same or has an even greater improvement of AF from the IIs series.

Above all though I am making sure my personal business is in order before I go through my want list
09-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I'm re-thinking my current gear - somewhat across the board (body and lenses). My K5, I really like, a lot!!! Absolutely, no reason to upgrade. I have not felt any urge to upgrade to the K3. I essentially have the funds in an envelope in my sock drawer - and the money is not burning a hole in my pocket. Having said that, with Photokia just around the corner and the the K5IIs on something of a fire sale here (which kind of makes me think that there is one more body to announce), I'm considering a number of options.
  • If a new body is announced - as a K3 replacement, I would probably not be interested for at least a year.
  • If a new FF body is announced, I would probably not be interested in at least 2 years.
  • I'm not inclined to go with the K-s1. Not really interested in the flashing LED light show.
  • If either a K3 replacement or FF body is/are announced with some very specific features, I could be convinced to pry open the checkbook - but, I am doubting that will be the case.
The things I would be very interested in are (but not holding my breath in seeing any of these items soon):
  • Tethering
  • Some sort of super resolution mode making use of the movable sensor (as in 64MP using the current 16MP sensor)
  • Tilting rear monitor.
  • 7 frame bracketing (I know, I can do that manually, but....)
  • ISO 50 or 25 with really very low noise. A small breakthrough in the sensor.
I usually wait till all the problems are found and fixed along with the body's price breaking below the $1K threshold.

I would not mind keeping my current K5 for another 2 to 3 years - absolutely nothing wrong with it and I am probably running at total of 10K shots (looks brand new and has always been in my padded camera backpack when not in use). But, the K5IIs with the improved AF and the AA gone (slight increase in resolution, and better low clean ISO then the K3, with excellent dynamic range), is of interest - especially at the current prices. For landscape/cityscapes at low ambient light - the low clean ISO and slight resolution improvement makes a reasonable case for moving slightly up. I consider the 16MP sensor a watershed sensor - and the 24MP at best an equivalent in the areas I'm interested in. If a new killer K body / sensor combination does not magically appear - and I am betting that what ever may be announced will not move me to write a check, then I might be inclined to upgrade to the K5IIs for the next 3 to 5 years (it's probably running 10:1 that nothing new of interest appears).

In parallel, I am re-evaluating my lenses. I'm in my mid 60's and manual focusing - especially on the telephoto end is just getting to be too difficult. I have not been able to hit it in a while, and my eyesight is not getting any better. I am thinking of trading in my A300/f4 and culling some of my other lenses that I am not using for the 60-250. I am thinking that lens with the K5IIs improved AF will be a wonderful combination. Possibly with a teleconverter to extend its range, will be a pretty good set. I am set on the wide end of things, and my lenses would only be better without the AA.

The other thing and its small to most folks - but important is an L bracket. I have a custom L bracket for the K5 from Kirk. It is glued to the body - never comes off and I use a tripod a lot. I have not seen any custom L brackets for the K3 and who knows what will happen with anything new. The IIs is the same body, and I am thinking I will be set - with an extended warranty to boot.

Still working, but will probably retire at the end of next year. So, what if anything might I be missing?

I had a K5IIs for a brief time and I enjoyed it a lot. As a matter of fact it overlapped with the last days of my Canon 6D which was and is the low light king in my opinion. I ended up giving the K5IIs to my brother and bought the K3 as I completely broke away from Canon. The K3 has more pixels but other than that I am not seeing other stuff that blows the K5IIs out of the water. The K3 for the money is unmatched. I have not had any experience with the original K5 but a friend of mine has one and he loves it.

One big issue for me moving forward is if I should invest heavily into the DA lenses. If and when Pentax comes up with a full frame body, I would be interested in one and at that point all the DA lenses would not work.

My line up of lenses are 4-2 in favor of FA lenses right now. I have also purchased a few 645 lenses and I also have nice 67 lens. The manual lenses are great but my eyesight too calls for auto lens whenever possible. I ended up getting a super wide DA lens as I need it for an assignment. Otherwise I have stayed with FA lenses for most part. Then again the FA line is limited. I do like the 60-250 a lot and I am tempted.
09-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I completely broke away from Canon
Just out of curiosity, why? The 6D seems an OK piece of hardware.

09-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There's always stuff to look at....
I have a K3 and a k-5 for backup.. and a K-01, that used to be my back up.

I still like my K-5, it's a great camera, but I always shoot with my K-3. More ability to crop, excellent 100-200 ISO images and quite useable at 400 ISO in terms of IQ and noise, great resolution for macro, improved AF system, which I would buy the camera for even if nothing else were new. I use everyone of those 27 selective focus points every time out. DO I need the K-3, absolutely not.. it's more than I need, but I spoiled myself. It was almost Christmas...you're supposed to spoil yourself every now and then.
09-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't know. Call it crazy. I have always been nostalgic about Pentax. A summer job bought me my Pentax MX which I loved. I was never thrilled about Canon focusing system or their flash. A super rebate from Pentax pushed me over. I am back home to Pentax. No regrets. I am enjoying my K3. I am getting ready to shoot an assignment with it. I will share the results in next few weeks. My path will end up with the 645Z so previous systems would not matter anyway.
09-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Be quiet Norm, you are gonna talk me into going broke LOL
Ya, then we'll at least be together in our brokeness. Tess wants either the DA* 200 2.8 or DA *300 ƒ4 for x-mas, how am I going to get myself anything unless I rob a bank?

09-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, then we'll at least be together in our brokeness. Tess wants either the DA* 200 2.8 or DA *300 ƒ4 for x-mas, how am I going to get myself anything unless I rob a bank?
I usually make sure my assignments pay for the toys. Lately I am not buying too many toys. I was waiting for the big megapixel camera to come along. The next "toy" is a big one... a 645Z with a couple of decent lenses. I miss having a decent long lens. I got a few manual long lenses but non of them are pro grade.
09-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally got around to a post about the lenses. Essentially, both go together as something of a matched pair.
... so Norm, does or would Tess share here glass with you?