Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to K200D

I am new to this forum so I can use all the help I can get.
I just purchased the Pentax K200D with the DA 18-55mm AL II lens.
For years I used the Pentax K1000 with several K mount lenses, developing my own B/W film as I went along.
Then I got out of the hobby for the last 14 years for various reasons.
I have tried using the K mount lenses on this K200D (manual settings), mainly a Gemini 2.8 28mm, but am having trouble figuring out the manual settings.
I also have a lens that was given to me a few years ago that worked real good on the K1000. All it says on it is; (there is no name brand listed) MC Auto Zoom, 3.5 80-200, #799303. I have had no luck searching the web for this lens, altho a Sears model comes close.
I have been taking test shots with these 2 lenses from a tripod (thank goodness for deletable SD cards) for the last few days. A few are fair to good, lots are really bad!
The kit lens has been great on Hummingbirds!!
Are there any good instruction books available that will help me in using manual control for this camera with these old lenses?
Or...should I consider selling these lenses and getting camera compatable lenses?
Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
I am a Mac addict, using Adobe Photoshop Elements 4, but planning on upgrading to PE6. I tried Pentax Photo Laboratory 3, but it kept crashing when I tried to edit RAW.
Thank you
Charlie

05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
"Keep the old lenses and use them" is my advice.

Heres an old thread discussing how.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3020-using-k-lens-ds.html

1) There is a custom setting to allow use of aperture ring #23. the default is off. Turn this on.

2) Set the focus switch to MF (or else the camera will refuse to fire until it confirms focus)

3) set the exposure mode to M for manual.

the thumb wheel will now control the shutter speed.
the aperture ring will control the aperture.
shutter button takes a picture.

If you want to use the cameras metering function as well then keep reading.
but the fancy computer in your camera cant tell what aperture you set so ....

first make sure the metering is active by half pressing then releasing the shutter release button. Now push the ... wow I am trying to read the K200 manual to make sure my advice is sound. um the manual is really confusing !!

read pages 18, 76, 96, and page 101 maybe all of them!

Ok sorry., I think if you have custom "option 14: Green button in manual" set to 1: Program or 2: Tv shift. then you can press the green button to have the camera take a meter reading and set the shutter speed for you. You will hear the aperture stop down when the reading is taken.

Sorry, my K100D doesnt have the green button, I use the Av +/- button to take a reading. but no matter. Manual works like your old film camera now.

Good luck! please share a photo or nine, even if they stink! Pictures will scare up more helpful advice than mine.
05-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, but unexpected projects keep happening!
Thank you so much for your advice and the link to more advice.
I have printed all the advice out and am going between it and the book. I had most of the custom settings correct. The Green button was wrong.
I hope to have time in the next day or two to really check everything out. That 28mm wide angle always took good pics with the K1000 and I really want to keep it.
Must get some new books on dslr as all my old film books were water damaged.
Thank you again.
Charlie

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
"Keep the old lenses and use them" is my advice.

Heres an old thread discussing how.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3020-using-k-lens-ds.html

1) There is a custom setting to allow use of aperture ring #23. the default is off. Turn this on.

2) Set the focus switch to MF (or else the camera will refuse to fire until it confirms focus)

3) set the exposure mode to M for manual.

the thumb wheel will now control the shutter speed.
the aperture ring will control the aperture.
shutter button takes a picture.

If you want to use the cameras metering function as well then keep reading.
but the fancy computer in your camera cant tell what aperture you set so ....

first make sure the metering is active by half pressing then releasing the shutter release button. Now push the ... wow I am trying to read the K200 manual to make sure my advice is sound. um the manual is really confusing !!

read pages 18, 76, 96, and page 101 maybe all of them!

Ok sorry., I think if you have custom "option 14: Green button in manual" set to 1: Program or 2: Tv shift. then you can press the green button to have the camera take a meter reading and set the shutter speed for you. You will hear the aperture stop down when the reading is taken.

Sorry, my K100D doesnt have the green button, I use the Av +/- button to take a reading. but no matter. Manual works like your old film camera now.

Good luck! please share a photo or nine, even if they stink! Pictures will scare up more helpful advice than mine.
07-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

kmccanta,

I just got my new K200D and I tried to take some shots with one of my old K1000 70~200mm Tacumar lenses. The F-- appeared as soon as I installed the lens and it did not let me take any pictures. After a couple of hours of browsing I came across your post which totally resolved my problem!!!! Million thanks for the writeup and advice on the the aperture ring setting(#23).

07-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #5

After setting it to use Apeture Ring, and setting the Green Button to 2......

1. Put Camera in M (manual) (wish it would work in Apv, but the green button dos nothing in that mode)

2. Focus

3. Press Green Button

4. Press down shutter enough to get metering on, hold it down.....

5. Press AE-L button with your thumb.....Metering is held now.

6. Shoot!
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #6

Tokina-Konica 80-200 lens usage on Pentax

I just came across an old Konica Tokina 80-200mm lens in my basement. I think my dad might have used it on an Automatic 35mm some time ago. Question: can I get some kind of converter for this lens to be able to use it on the k200? I know that the Takumar lens I am using as my tele-lens is somewhat similar to the Tokina, but why not use it if I have it allready? Any imput will be welcomed.
04-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JETninja Quote
After setting it to use Apeture Ring, and setting the Green Button to 2......

1. Put Camera in M (manual) (wish it would work in Apv, but the green button dos nothing in that mode)

2. Focus

3. Press Green Button

4. Press down shutter enough to get metering on, hold it down.....

5. Press AE-L button with your thumb.....Metering is held now.

6. Shoot!
Are you sure pressing green button is before metering? I activate metering with pressing halfway down the shutter and then stop down the lens with the green button to have correct values. If you press first the green button and then meter, the readout will be valid for the wide-open f-stop..
04-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kockas Quote
Are you sure pressing green button is before metering? I activate metering with pressing halfway down the shutter and then stop down the lens with the green button to have correct values. If you press first the green button and then meter, the readout will be valid for the wide-open f-stop..
Your correct - you need to have the meter turned on - so just half depress the shutter to activate the meter (It will stay on as long as your auto shutoff is set for)

You then use the green button to stop down and the camera meters for you.

I haven't found a need to use the AE-L button - as the shutter speed remains on the current setting in Manual mode after the green button is depressed. According to the book, you only need to hit AE-L if you want to maintain the current EV. So if you change the aperture, the shutter will alter accordingly (p96 of the manual). However, this may vary by lens type (FA, A or K)

BTW, turning off AF as kmccanta suggested is optional too - the camera will switch to spot focus and beep/light the red centre spot when its in focus. It will fire in manual whether in focus or not.

Just my two bits worth.....