Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Changing focus points while shooting

Hey guys, I recently acquired a K5 ii and am now enjoying the focus point in the vf (which my Kx didn't have). Anyhow, I working on using the correct focus point for my composition, rather than using the common method of "focus and recompose". So, to be clear, I now change my focus point to match the composition I want and where I want the camera to focus rather than using the middle point all the time and then recompose.
I find this to be much more accurate, especially for shallow depth of field, for obvious reasons.

I was now wondering if there was another way to change the focus points while shooting than the four way controller. For example, when in Av or Tv mode, can I configure one of the dial to change the focus points? Any other options I'm not thinking about maybe?

I think that on some Canon model you can use a combinaison of the four way controller and one of the dial to switch between focus point. The dial control up and down and the pad left and right (or something like that...). I find that it's really a nice feature for time when speed of operation is important.

Thanks everyone for your input!

09-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, not that I know of. Joystick control might be more intuitive but 4-way is the only option on the k-5II.
09-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

stick with the four way and after awhile, you will get fast at sliding the thumb all over to get your point.
09-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's what I figured. Thank you guys.

09-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I can see why you would need a wheel dial to thumb through 77 focus points... but with nine cross-type points, it is easy to do with the 4-way wheel. Some people like the idea of huge amount of focus points on focussing screen, not everyone including me (I want a clear view not cluttered screen).
09-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I can see why you would need a wheel dial to thumb through 77 focus points... but with nine cross-type points, it is easy to do with the 4-way wheel. Some people like the idea of huge amount of focus points on focussing screen, not everyone including me (I want a clear view not cluttered screen).
I think there's a misconception in pentax forums about cameras with alot of focus points that you see all the points at all times. You dont. The only one that's visible is the active one.
09-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think there's a misconception in pentax forums about cameras with alot of focus points that you see all the points at all times. You dont. The only one that's visible is the active one.
Andi, for Pentax yes, you see only the active one lit up if it is in focus. But, I thought on the Canikon models, the default screen has all the focus points etched on it (which is what I am referring to as cluttering) - don't they? or am I just imagining? If I am wrong, I apologize as it is not my intention to mislead other people.

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-18-2014 at 07:19 AM.
09-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Andi, for Pentax yes, you see only the active one lit up if it is in focus. But, I thought on the Canikon models, the default screen has all the focus points etched on it (which is what I am referring to as cluttering) - don't they? or am I just imagining?
Cant speak for other models, but for D600 and D7000, I can only see the one that is active. They both have 39 points.

Personally I find it's still not enough. I'm still waiting for a manufacturer that gives me a 100% clear viewfinder with nothing in it (no focus point, no aperture, shutter speed, etc), ala K1000. Just show those on half press, and let me compose in peace! Why is it so hard? Does it actually exist and I just dont know about it? /endrant

09-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Cant speak for other models, but for D600 and D7000, I can only see the one that is active. They both have 39 points.

Personally I find it's still not enough. I'm still waiting for a manufacturer that gives me a 100% clear viewfinder with nothing in it (no focus point, no aperture, shutter speed, etc), ala K1000. Just show those on half press, and let me compose in peace! Why is it so hard? Does it actually exist and I just dont know about it? /endrant
Thanks, Andi, for clarifying it.
I just do a quick google check.. here is the link to a D600 screen.
http://dslrprofessional.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/focusing-screen-nikon-d600.png

Just to confirm, do you see all the little squares or just the squares that turn red on the screen?

Thanks....
09-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, Andi, for clarifying it.
I just do a quick google check.. here is the link to a D600 screen.
http://dslrprofessional.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/focusing-screen-nikon-d600.png

Just to confirm, do you see all the little squares or just the squares that turn red on the screen?

Thanks....
Neither, I just see one that I have selected. I also only see the one point when moving it around. I think the only time you see all of them at once on the VF is when you change focusing modes (I stick with AF-C/3D so I almost never see it)

You do see the four lines that envelops the points at all times though, I believe that's the same with Pentax as well (I only have K10D atm, not sure if that's changed).
09-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Neither, I just see one that I have selected. I also only see the one point when moving it around. I think the only time you see all of them at once on the VF is when you change focusing modes (I stick with AF-C/3D so I almost never see it)

You do see the four lines that envelops the points at all times though, I believe that's the same with Pentax as well (I only have K10D atm, not sure if that's changed).
Thanks, Andi, that helps... yes, I have the k-5/IIs, it stays the same - only see the lines (brackets with center circle) when the focus point is not lit up. Man, all these times, people handed me their fancy cameras to take pictures for them... they must all be using full auto mode.. damn!!