Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-M any hope?

My father finally retired and decided to come over to Korea to visit me. Last year I upgraded from my K-m To my K-30 but kept the K-M body. It's been sitting for about a year, but was fine when I had last used it. I dusted it off, and it seemed okay.

However after putting some energizer lithiums in it (the silver ones, kind I always used before) I noticed that with 4 fresh out of the pack batteries, after one picture, it went from green to yellow power.

Also the dial on the back (for zooming in to pictures or setting things like aperture, etc) seems really sketchy. A single click does nothing, several clicks in one direction will get it to move, but sometimes it moves higher or lower.

For example I clicked it over, and it went 1/350 1/500 1/350 (while still moving the wheel in the same direction) bounced back and forth a couple times and sometimes just sat there on 1/350.

I reset the settings on the camera. didn't help.

Anything I can do here, or is it toast? Can it be saved with a servicing? I think I'm not far form the pentax service center here in Korea.

09-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had this issue intermittently with my K-x. Pretty basic suggestion: update the firmware if there is an update available?
09-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I noticed that with 4 fresh out of the pack batteries, after one picture, it went from green to yellow power.
Fingers crossed that you might fix this up by manually selecting Li as the battery type in the menus, but the other symptoms suggest something worse, don't they? :-(
09-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, my camera is 1.11 and latest is 1.11 for the K-M.
So no luck there. I tried an air blower around the dial. there seemed to be some momentary relief.. maybe that part just needs a cleaning. But I'm more worried about the battery showing yellow so fast on brand new batteries.

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fingers crossed that you might fix this up by manually selecting Li as the battery type in the menus, but the other symptoms suggest something worse, don't they? :-(
The only two main symptons are sketchy button and battery showing odd power readings. If that fixes the battery and maybe I can get the dial cleaned at the service center (if that's the problem) it might be fine.

09-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts? Over that long of time they could have gotten a thin layer of corrosion or dirt on them.