Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #1

k200d or save

Should I buy a k200d or save the money and buy a k100d so I can buy some more lenses. I am so damn indecisive about these things. Is the k200d really worth the extra money?

I am also wondering about the AF problem. After picking up a Pentax I really like how they feel..would prefer a two wheel option but the k20d is out of my price range so that is neither here or there. Is the AF really that big of a problem or are you guys just so picky about things cause you know a lot about cameras. Like well I not be able to use the AFC feature at all, and when I am inside will I have to do all manual? I am new to photography and I don't know how good I am going to be at manual focusing especially because I have glasses which seems to be a whole nother set of problems.

Anyway let me know your thoughts!

05-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF is certainly good enough. If you're in good light and using the center point, it's as fast as anyone else's, and in most other cases it's perfectly good enough (and perhaps more accurate than other systems).

My suggestion would be to start with a K100D, used if you can. Buy lenses. And then plan to buy the K300D (or K30D) in a year and a half or so.
05-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with mattdm. K100D is good camera, and very good entry to DSLR world. And you'll certainly use some extra glass next to DA18-55.
The only other direction I'd point you, try to have a look if some stores don't have some K10D left. The prices of those were incredibly low lately, and you'd have two dials as you wanted and sensor of K200D (which though I'm not sure is all that good)
05-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you can still find one, buy the K10D. It's better on all accounts.

05-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd get the K100d and spend the money on glass. You'll get far better results with good lenses than with a different camera body.
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
If you can still find one, buy the K10D. It's better on all accounts.
Definitely, but probably harder to find a good deal.
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Definitely, but probably harder to find a good deal.
I can find a used mint k10d for 530 body only. Good deal? BH has a used k100d for only 300!
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
I meant to also add that I an new to photography, I do like to learn tho...will the no portrait/sport/etc modes hurt me a lot?

05-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Doesn't matter much. They don't do anything you can't be told in two sentences how to do in the half-automatic modes or in a photo editor.
(I have not used them, ever. )
05-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Doesn't matter much. They don't do anything you can't be told in two sentences how to do in the half-automatic modes or in a photo editor.
(I have not used them, ever. )
but how long have you been doing photography heh.
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DancinP Quote
but how long have you been doing photography heh.
I'm going to go against the crowd here... I say get the K200D - I've got one, and a K100D Super, and it is great. What you have is a K10D with some additional features and more current software. You don't get a second wheel or glass prism, not that big of deal to me. I like being able to hand the camera to the wife and put it in one of the program modes and have it work well. I think the program modes do more than what it used to for film cameras, if you shoot jpegs. I shoot Raw+jpeg (that's a nice feature that my K100D Super doesn't have) most of the time. The kit lens is better than the old kit lens, too. I love the extra shooting modes, like black and white and (faux) infrared. If you shoot raw+jpeg you can get the black and white right out of the camera and also have the raw to play with if you want color or other filters. You won't soon outgrow it. On the flip side, the K100D Super is a great beginner camera and is very infrared sensitive (using a R72 IR filter), which the 10.2MP sensors are not. That's one reason I have both (I also have kids that borrow it). The good thing about your decision is, no matter which you may choose, you are going to love it. Good luck.
05-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #12

save. you'll be happier getting a k100d SUPER (make sure you get the super) because you'll get into photography in no time and likeliness is, you'll want new nice glass in no time. the normal k100d can't handle the newest pentax SDM lenses. In my humble opinion, the k200d is just a megapixel boost from the k100d. get a k100d super.