Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
I believe Pentax was once quoted as saying that they do not take much notice of Forums. Perhaps you should forward this entry direct to Pentax. It makes a good and serious point as there are a great many photographers out there for whom sport is a real subject interest, either in practise or on their wish list of phptographic skills and kit to aquire.
Well the most disapointing part in this is: They know.......and seen these images....

09-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
Football. Played with a round ball and with the feet. Get it? Foot-ball. Played in and by almost every country in the world.

Rugby. Played with an oval ball in the hands and with the feet. Played in most of the developed world and in the Olympics. Brutal and no protective gear.

American Football? Guys dressed like they've forgotten their motorbikes running around like headless chickens and some not even touching the ball or by Girls in their underwear. Wonder why that hasn't caught the imagination of the rest of the world.

Ah rugby: a game played by gentlemen with odd shaped balls
09-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #18

If girls in underwear can't sell American football to the world, nothing can.
09-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
Football. Played with a round ball and with the feet. Get it? Foot-ball. Played in and by almost every country in the world.

Rugby. Played with an oval ball in the hands and with the feet. Played in most of the developed world and in the Olympics. Brutal and no protective gear.

American Football? Guys dressed like they've forgotten their motorbikes running around like headless chickens and some not even touching the ball or by Girls in their underwear. Wonder why that hasn't caught the imagination of the rest of the world.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Years ago I used to coach youth select "soccer" teams.

In the spirit of international goodwill I do have to mention that the origin of the word soccer trace to England and the word was used there up until about 35 years ago. We are just carrying on the tradition over here. Here is my reference:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/mystery-solved-don-t-bla...123344142.html

09-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Years ago I used to coach youth select "soccer" teams.

In the spirit of international goodwill I do have to mention that the origin of the word soccer trace to England and the word was used there up until about 35 years ago. We are just carrying on the tradition over here. Here is my reference:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/mystery-solved-don-t-bla...123344142.html

Whoever wrote this article is way off the mark. If you ask any British kid what is soccer, they will tell you.... Football. It always has been known as soccer and still definitely is. But it is a colloquialism.

As far as Rugby being referred to as 'Rugger'. Never! Except by a few middle class Englishmen . Certainly not by the Irish, Scots, Welsh, New Zealanders, Australians, South Africans, Canadians or even Americans.

By the way, the Guy who covers Newport Rugby Club's matches uses a K5 and mostly, a Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8

09-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This is my football team:*readers' photographs of life at their clubs | Football | The Guardian