Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #1

RIcoh Arena, Coventry, England

Noticed, literally in passing, in a recent car journey south from the Forth / Clyde Valley in Scotland to Cambridge in the South East(ish) of England (don't ask) the existance of a Ricoh Arena in Coventry in the Midlands of England.

Given that it is used for sporting events is not about time that Pentax / Ricoh gives us a camera that matches Canikon for such things. Perhaps the impending (in 2015 according to the French) Full Frame will oblige.

A link to its website which hopefully will work:- Home | Ricoh Arena

09-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! Looks like it's been there since 2004 though, so I don't think it's related to Ricoh's consumer imaging business.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This was Coventry City's home ground; but I know they had rent problems a couple of years ago and moved. Not sure if they have returned.
09-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Cool! Looks like it's been there since 2004 though, so I don't think it's related to Ricoh's consumer imaging business.
I can but hope Adam that, since taking over Pentax that Ricoh UK has taken the innitiative and pointed out their sponsorship of a sporting arena to the Pentax / Ricoh DSLR / CSC / Mirrorless System Camera (MSC) etc. design and development teams in Japan, there again do pigs have wings?

09-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think this dates back to Ricoh's photocopiers rather than photography

Last edited by Johndav; 09-19-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: can't spell
09-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Coventry appears to have returned to the Ricoh; I found this aerial picture online (I always thought it looked like a circuit board component)
Attached Images

09-20-2014, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Shame that roof opening isn't full frame sized.

09-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that I have cracked the secret code of the structure. Notice that part of the opening is full frame and part is not. I think it is tracking the progress of Ricoh to unveiling a full frame DLSR. It looks like they are about half way there.

By the way, where are the yard markers and goal posts? What the heck is that field set up for? Certainly not football.
09-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

We'll agree to differ about what code of football is the real one
09-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Nope, definitely football. You know, the one where you play with your feet rather than your hands
09-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you guys mean soccer?
09-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I think that I have cracked the secret code of the structure. Notice that part of the opening is full frame and part is not. I think it is tracking the progress of Ricoh to unveiling a full frame DLSR. It looks like they are about half way there.

By the way, where are the yard markers and goal posts? What the heck is that field set up for? Certainly not footbal.
Have now roughly measured the field size on a 21'' screen and it appears to be c 80mm extra large format. Are you viewing it on a phone?

I wonder what Ricoh/Pentax is really up to now
09-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Do you guys mean soccer?

Football. Played with a round ball and with the feet. Get it? Foot-ball. Played in and by almost every country in the world.

Rugby. Played with an oval ball in the hands and with the feet. Played in most of the developed world and in the Olympics. Brutal and no protective gear.

American Football? Guys dressed like they've forgotten their motorbikes running around like headless chickens and some not even touching the ball or by Girls in their underwear. Wonder why that hasn't caught the imagination of the rest of the world.

09-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #14
Banned

some serious work to do and considder....

At the Photokina booth there where no sports images. This is a missing for Ricoh to my mind. The whole image presentation was subpar compared to what Canon did. To me selling camera's is about the work you can do with the camera's so they should have more space on that. Ricoh also sponsors the European ATP tennis tour and is headsponsor for three major European women golf tournaments. They have Paula Creamer, USA pro golfster as the face for Ricoh. So to me having no sportsimages made at those events is a major missing. Clearly they communicate to potential new users that for sports Pentax is not the go-to camera system, wich I think is not true.

I was at the ATP/WTA tournament in Rosmalen and made this image of Simona Halep there, currently #2 on the Worls Ranking list.

Images of these famous sportspeople do sell those lower end Canon and Nikon camera's. I made this with K-5 and DA*300mm.
09-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
At the Photokina booth there where no sports images. This is a missing for Ricoh to my mind. The whole image presentation was subpar compared to what Canon did. To me selling camera's is about the work you can do with the camera's so they should have more space on that. Ricoh also sponsors the European ATP tennis tour and is headsponsor for three major European women golf tournaments. They have Paula Creamer, USA pro golfster as the face for Ricoh. So to me having no sportsimages made at those events is a major missing. Clearly they communicate to potential new users that for sports Pentax is not the go-to camera system, wich I think is not true.

I was at the ATP/WTA tournament in Rosmalen and made this image of Simona Halep there, currently #2 on the Worls Ranking list.

Images of these famous sportspeople do sell those lower end Canon and Nikon camera's. I made this with K-5 and DA*300mm.
I believe Pentax was once quoted as saying that they do not take much notice of Forums. Perhaps you should forward this entry direct to Pentax. It makes a good and serious point as there are a great many photographers out there for whom sport is a real subject interest, either in practise or on their wish list of phptographic skills and kit to aquire.