Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #16

Don't get discouraged. I was just thinking the other day that if I weren't a computer geeky person who started out with photography in childhood (predigital) I would be in big trouble trying to decipher the instruction manual. Just find someone like me who can figure out most camera menus without a manual. Have them walk you through the cameras simple functions, and do not let them out of your sight, until you can do them yourself. If needed take notes. You'll be fine.

In the meantime download googles picassa program and tweak many of your photos. Start with brightness, contrast and sharpening. And remember, rule number one is to have a good time.

05-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I figured it out! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions

I'm still working on it, but the pictures are getting better

05-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #18

Easy to try...

This is a simple suggestion, but it's worth a try. Set your camera into the sports mode and auto ISO (if the camera lets you set ISO in sports mode... if it dosen't let you choose it's in auto) - take the shot, and if you like what you see in the LCD hit info twice, and the camera will tell you exactly what the shutter speed, ISO and aperture are. I had a K100D and can tell you that especially in good daylight, high ISO's are not bad for snapshots and general use photography. If you're printing these dog photos to 20x30 and selling them to feed your family on the other hand you may need more light, like an off camera flash or shooting outside of the shade. Good luck! Let us know what you figure out!
05-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
This is a simple suggestion, but it's worth a try. Set your camera into the sports mode and auto ISO (if the camera lets you set ISO in sports mode... if it dosen't let you choose it's in auto) - take the shot, and if you like what you see in the LCD hit info twice, and the camera will tell you exactly what the shutter speed, ISO and aperture are. I had a K100D and can tell you that especially in good daylight, high ISO's are not bad for snapshots and general use photography. If you're printing these dog photos to 20x30 and selling them to feed your family on the other hand you may need more light, like an off camera flash or shooting outside of the shade. Good luck! Let us know what you figure out!
Thank you for that suggestion, I will try it out today! No, I'm definetly not feeding my family with these pictures, it's just a hobby (for now) Thanks again!

05-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a k110d which I think has the same control interface as your k100super... when in manual mode, the wheel by your thumb should control shutter speed. as you turn it, you should see through your viewfinder a meter that shows you exposure... you'll see a "+" section and a "-" section... this is telling you if your settings will result in over or under-exposure. if you press and hold the +/- button near the shutter release while you turn the wheel, it should adjust the f stop (aperture). another adjustment that will come in handy is the iso... on the back of the cam, you'll see a "fn" button. press it, arrow to the right and you'll see iso settings from 200-1600 (I think this is the range...). use the arrow up and down to set the iso you want.

ok, to put this all together now... adjusting the f-stop # down will let you get higher shutter speeds with the same level of exposure, but it will narrow the depth of field which is the area (measured in distance from the camera) that will be in acceptable focus. so... if your f-stop # is too small, it may result in your dog's eyes being in focus, but the tail may not be. you've already been playing with shutter speed to freeze action, so you are probably aware of what speed you need to freeze action (I'd start around 1/250th, but you'll want to experiment). next, once you've set the f stop and the shutter speed, if you find that the exposure meter in the viewfinder is showing under-exposure, you will want to go to the iso settings and bump the number up (400 or 800 or whatever). as you bump this number up, you will get greater exposure, but it will come at a cost. that cost is how "clean" the image is... the higher the iso is, the more graininess the picture will have. in most cases, this graininess is much more apparent when you're looking at your picture at full res on your computer screen than when the picture is printed as say an 8x10 so it's not as grainy as you may think when you import the pic to your computer. also, there are noise reduction programs that take away this graininess, but often at the expense of detail.

now, I'm a relative newb to photography so if there are others who can correct or clarify my oversimplifications or misunderstandings, plz feel free to do so!