Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just Ordered a K-5ii…need some lens and sensor input

I just ordered a K-5ii, battery grip, and F 50/1.7 lens. Years ago, I had used numerous Pentax film cameras, and so I am rather familiar with the lenses of the various eras. I tend to favor A-series lenses--took some of my best shots with the humble A/50/2. I bought the F 50/1.7 because I want some AF capability, but I will be looking for some A-series lenses--probably the 28/2.8 and the 100/2.8. If I opt for an M-series lens, what functionality (compared to the A) would I lose with the K-5ii?

I am excited about using the K-5ii. I have been using a Nikon D200 for the past few years, as I love the CCD sensor. How might the K-5ii compare? I know that the K-5ii is a much newer, more advanced design, but I hope I like the type of image it produces. I have not had much interest in non-CCD cameras, but I have been open-minded enough to finally try the Pentax flagship. I will say this: I love Pentax lenses--especially the "cheap" ones. They are great performers.

Last edited by zx-m; 09-20-2014 at 02:35 PM.
09-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
If I opt for an M-series lens, what functionality (compared to the A) would I lose with the K-5ii?
'M' lenses require you to use the green button to stop the lens down to meter. An extra step, that most think is no big deal. I generally prefer 'A' lenses so I don't have to mess with it but both work. Read this first: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
as I love the CCD sensor. How might the K-5 compare?
I never used a CCD sensor so I've no basis for comparison but many who did still like the results and often hang onto an old CCD camera for when they want that look. The k-5II has a lot of adjustments available in camera to make the jpeg look the way you want if you are shooting jpeg, and of course if you shoot RAW then you can adjust in post processing to get what look you want. The F 50 f/1.7 is a very nice lens for AF, but sadly the manual focus is a little frustrating because of the tiny focus ring. Your old M 50 f/2 will do better at manual focus. I use the F 50 f/1.7 often and am happy with the results other than the focus ring.
09-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, jatrax--it is very informative. I will be shooting RAW--probably exclusively, as this is how I shoot with the D200. The reviews here on the F 50/1.7 are indeed quite positive. I appreciate your perspective.

Yes, those older focusing rings are better…looking forward to getting a couple of A-series lenses. Have you used either of the two I mention above?
09-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 200mm f/4, 135mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/2.8 macro, 35mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8 I also had a 100mm f/4 macro but passed it on to my daughter in law. The 50mm macro is a gem if you can find one, the 50mm f/1.4 is excellent if you are into tiny DOF. I just got the 24mm so have not used it much yet. The 135 and 200 do not get much use as my eyes are no longer good enough to manually focus at that focal length.

Come to think I have two 28mm f/2.8s at the moment. If you are interested send me a PM and I will get you some pictures and details. It came with some other gear I bought so I can give you a good price.

Be aware that these older lenses often need a CLA at this point as the grease can get stiff. Some do, some don't. There is an excellent technician (Eric) that I send my stuff to. Also, if you look into getting the A 50mm f/1.7 be aware there is a fault with many of them where a small plastic piece breaks loose inside and jams up the aperture ring. It is easily repairable, I have done it myself, but if the aperture ring does not turn smooth do not force it, see if it needs repaired.

09-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that CMOS sensors acquired a bit of a bad rap when first used in DSLRs because the on-chip noise reduction algorithms may have been a bit too aggressive, resulting in slightly soft images even with sharp lenses. Also, some CMOS sensors had their sensitivity somewhat negatively impacted (for whatever reason) when optimized for video - for example, the Pentax K7, which succeeded the K20D, had a slightly less capable CMOS sensor than its predecessor.

That's all in the past now. The Sony 16MP sensor used in the K-5 (among other cameras) is brilliant. It took a long time (in technology years) for a successor to come along. The current 24MP APS-C sensors aren't even an improvement, just more megapickles.
09-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I figured so with the 24 mp sensors, and that is why I have not jumped on that bandwagon. A good deal of this stuff is simply window-dressing.
09-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the A28 2.8 but haven't shot with it much lately. When I did shoot with it I used it with my K5 and was quite pleased with the results. I can say it was one of the easiest A lenses to acquire focus with. The only A lens I use frequently now is my A35-105 3.5 zoom which I will never part with.

09-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It might be illuminating to look at some technical comparisons between the Nikon D200 and the K-5IIs at DxOMark - especially the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range graphs (look under the 'Measurements' tab )
09-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The biggest thing you'll find is that a 50 is a bit long on a DSLR for every day use...You may want something in a 30-35mm for daily use. The DA35 is cheap, autofocus, and wonderful.
09-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice suggestions folks…with the enthusiastic recommendation, I am even considering the zoom mentioned above (I have never shot with a zoom).

In regard to the 50, I think I will be pleased. For me, a FF 50 is a bit too wide. I just love APS-C.
09-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK, the same sensor that appeared in the D200 was the same used in the Pentax K10d and K200d. I had the K200d, and IMO, CCD sensors at ISO 100 can still deliver the goods marvellously - clear, vivid colours, and loads of actuance.

I now have a K-5iis and love the dynamic range at ISO 80 for landscape work, and enjoy the good overall quality I get at mid-ISO settings. You are going to love the AF system which essentially allows AF shooting in the dark.

It's not all good - I don't like the reds (which blow easily, and seem fairly pink), and I do find some textures with the lack of an AA filter for shooting people make things "crunchy" rather than smoothly transitioned. But for shooting people, I enjoy using my fuji!

Enjoy your cam. The F 50 is *sharp* and has good contrast. Jatrax is on the money with the filter ring. Mine did the same.
09-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
AFAIK, the same sensor that appeared in the D200 was the same used in the Pentax K10d and K200d. I had the K200d, and IMO, CCD sensors at ISO 100 can still deliver the goods marvellously - clear, vivid colours, and loads of actuance.

I now have a K-5iis and love the dynamic range at ISO 80 for landscape work, and enjoy the good overall quality I get at mid-ISO settings. You are going to love the AF system which essentially allows AF shooting in the dark.

It's not all good - I don't like the reds (which blow easily, and seem fairly pink), and I do find some textures with the lack of an AA filter for shooting people make things "crunchy" rather than smoothly transitioned. But for shooting people, I enjoy using my fuji!

Enjoy your cam. The F 50 is *sharp* and has good contrast. Jatrax is on the money with the filter ring. Mine did the same.
I sure agree about the "pinking out" of reds. Some of our members get marvellous photos of red roses, but mine are always pink, no matter what they look like to the eye. I am wondering if there is any setting that can be done to eliminate this problem.
09-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I sure agree about the "pinking out" of reds. Some of our members get marvellous photos of red roses, but mine are always pink, no matter what they look like to the eye. I am wondering if there is any setting that can be done to eliminate this problem.
This is troubling…my D200's reds are fine.
09-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I sure agree about the "pinking out" of reds. Some of our members get marvelous photos of red roses, but mine are always pink, no matter what they look like to the eye. I am wondering if there is any setting that can be done to eliminate this problem.
Many adjustments in camera for that if you shoot jpeg. I've no experience with them as I shoot RAW. In Lightroom I found that the default Adobe camera profile was the issue. I changed my import preset to use 'embedded' and I find that to work, in most cases, better. I think the Adobe one tries to pump up the reds a bit and with Pentax RAWs that will blow things up in some cases. You can also adjust the red saturation in the camera calibration tab if you need to.
09-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The level of colour noise reduction applied during processing (colour, not luminance NR) is also a factor. Roll back the colour NR from the defaults in Lightroom, for example, and red saturation and detail retention improve in both the K-3 and K-5. (This was something extensively explored in these forums when the K-3 first came out).