Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why is Pentax so great!

Hello everyone,
One reason that I bought a Pentax DSLR because of the manual lens compatibility with full metering. I often wondered why the lowend Nikons wouldn't meter with manual lenses. I have all of these great manual Nikkor lenses and they won't fit on some Nikons and won't meter on those that will accept them.

Dave

Add on-board light metering to your Nikon D40 - Hack a Day

05-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave

Not to beat a dead horse here but there is a difference in nikon's situation, and that of pentax.

Nikon don't need to offer the compatibility, and many users that buy nikons probably would not consider getting used equipment.

Pentax needs every advantage they can get, because they are not #1 or #2 in the market, and one way is to offer their existing (read this film) customers the ability to use all their lenses.

Personally, I am glad they did, as I am not sure what I would have done if the *istD did not come out when it did. I was very close to throwing it all away and becoming another conforming canikon user.
05-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Dave

Not to beat a dead horse here but there is a difference in nikon's situation, and that of pentax.

Nikon don't need to offer the compatibility, and many users that buy nikons probably would not consider getting used equipment.

Pentax needs every advantage they can get, because they are not #1 or #2 in the market, and one way is to offer their existing (read this film) customers the ability to use all their lenses.

Personally, I am glad they did, as I am not sure what I would have done if the *istD did not come out when it did. I was very close to throwing it all away and becoming another conforming canikon user.
Lowell,
Actually the SR in the body was the biggest reason that I switched to Pentax. The lack of support for my lenses just kept me from buying a Nikon DSLR. The $100 rebate helped also. When I bought my Nikon FTN in 1968, Nikon was proud that they would always maintain complete compatibility with their old lenses. Well at least their compatibility is better then Canon. LOL

Dave
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nothing really great about Pentax, it's just that every time I make up my mind to switch they give me a reason not to. That and I like cameras that were made to be used to shoot with, not just look good on paper

05-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why I stayed with Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Hello everyone,
One reason that I bought a Pentax DSLR because of the manual lens compatibility with full metering. I often wondered why the lowend Nikons wouldn't meter with manual lenses. I have all of these great manual Nikkor lenses and they won't fit on some Nikons and won't meter on those that will accept them.

Dave

Add on-board light metering to your Nikon D40 - Hack a Day
Dave: I am re-entering photography as a hobbyist/enthusiast, but this time I am committed to a quality end product.

That being said, I am cost-aware, and I have several manual Pentax film bodies and lenses. After extensive research, was the K10D not competitive feature for feature with other bodies I might have ebay'ed the lot and started with a high-end consumer Canikon.

Happily, that didn't happen.

My calculus

Compatibility with everything I own +
Feature parity +
Better price =
Best Value
QED
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I came to Pentax via Nikon. I came for the lenses, and keep wishing they would put out a camera body to match the quality of them.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.
05-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #7

I came to Pentax because first off, I did a lot of research on model features and price then when I spoke to the guy in the camera store and said I wanted Pentax, he said, "I have an *istDL - it's a great camera and perfect for what you (I)want." I had explained to him what my needs were. There was never any discussion about C***n or N***n - refreshing given the many posts elsewhere about folks being pushed towards the big 2.

As Torphoto said" it's just that every time I make up my mind to switch they give me a reason not to. " Hence I have a K10 now and am happy with no intention of switching.

05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I came to Pentax after doing plenty of research and review reading.
Three things really stood out that I think are reasons for Pentax being great (not in any order);
The lens compatibility, ease of use and the history of Pentax.
SR helped as well but that was for my decision making. I think SR is great but history will tell whether it contributes to Pentax's greatness.
05-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

Bang for the buck and compatibility with lenes I already own......no brainer.
05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

I came to Pentax from Fuji's superzoom camp. I never had SLR/DSLR before, never had any lenses. But:
- I'm cost aware, I like the size and feel of K100D, I like the brand's history, I like the SR, I like the compatibility with old (cheap) manual lenses, I like the pancake ltds, shall I continue?

At the time I was choosing, there were 3 other competitors: Oly e500, EOS350D, Nikon D50.
D50 was for long time on top (I was comparing with *ist DL2) but when K100D came out I didn't hesitate for a moment...
And I'm happy eversince...
except I'd like to have K10D
05-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

This is my first post and I bought a Pentax because I like the green ring around the lens!

Just kidding. My dad has an *istD and is looking to add a K10 or K20 to his bag. I have used his *istD on several occasions and decided that I had to have my own DSLR. I loved it, easy to use, felt nice, and it was hard to take a bad picture. I have been researching other brands, Canon and Sony mainly (I just flat out don't like the look and feel of Nikons). There is nothing that I don't like about a Pentax; ergonomics, build quality, durability, performance, and price. I just ordered a K200D...it should be here tomorrow.

Plus...I can mooch off of my dad's lens collection

Last edited by two68s; 05-21-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I can't spell
05-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had previously been researching cameras, and found that Pentax had several features I really liked - in body SR, and the backwards compatability.

I then went to a camera shop and started looking through the various cameras with a helpful salesperson. Picked up the K100 and it just seemed made to fit my hands.
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

If making pictures is your fascination: do it!
If making pictures is your addiction: I'll pray!
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by two68s Quote
This is my first post and I bought a Pentax because I like the green ring around the lens!

Just kidding. My dad has an *istD and is looking to add a K10 or K20 to his bag. I have used his *istD on several occasions and decided that I had to have my own DSLR. I loved it, easy to use, felt nice, and it was hard to take a bad picture. I have been researching other brands, Canon and Sony mainly (I just flat out don't like the look and feel of Nikons). There is nothing that I don't like about a Pentax; ergonomics, build quality, durability, performance, and price. I just ordered a K200D...it should be here tomorrow.

Plus...I can mooch off of my dad's lens collection
Welcome to the forum two86s. I am sure you will enjoy your K200D!
05-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is the reason I went with Pentax digital.

I needed no further persuasion.

Mike