Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Remote Assist is Good! Just not what I was Dreaming of

Thanks for the redirect to that program. Haven't tried it yet. I'd like it if there were a Linux based derivative. I own a Nokia N800 and it would be great to have tethered control with it! I wish in Pentax future development they'd include a wi-fi or bluetooth2 connection within the camera. That'd bring on even more functionality. I'd be more interested in that than FF. Tethered to my n800 I'd get close to that.

What I was getting at is hacking a way to have multiple user/customized settings made available through menu control while untethered. Sort of you own home brewed SCN presets within unique user's accounts. Use a program while tethered to edit and set up the accounts and setting.

In addition, if the "Hack" program could reassign buttons functionality, like Key Mapping, that would be great also. Some minor things I'd have changed is the direction the front wheel turns to increase or decrease speed. Although I am getting use to it and know it will be second nature soon, there is something counter intuitive for me about the direction it moves now.

Also, since I now only shoot in raw (nearly 400 frames for each of 3 8 gb card) being able to reassign the raw button would be useful.

I was surprised that there aren't programs out or that Pentax wouldn't have some sort of official assistance for such. With access to the firmware even flash syncing could be redesigned and custom setting made (Like a quick strobing preset to get action stops say for hoola hoppers or jugglers).

Grateful for the insight that it is also about marketing and the preconceived need to enforce product differentiation. Too bad that. Seems upside down; product development ought to take precedence; then marketing to educate the public and sell the product.

09-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Thanks for the redirect to that program. Haven't tried it yet. I'd like it if there were a Linux based derivative.

PK-Remote
QuoteQuote:
Software for tethered shooting using Pentax DSLRs, providing the functions from Pentax Remote Assistant to Linux users.
Thank you
Russell
09-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the thing is am i going to have to get anti-vires softwhere for my camera

i see a LOT of good this could have but i am see some bad
09-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
PK-Remote

Thank you
Russell
Whoopee! Thanks Russell. Will be checking this out. the next part is getting a maemos port for it. Then I'll be able to both shoot and download to the n800 and from there to the world! All with a flick of a finger. Would have been handy this morning. Up early and packed up the gear onto my bicycle and headed down to the bay for the nearly full moonset. Gorgeous!

Happened to miss a photo of it. Learning so much about timing. So did long exposures of the water and sailboats. until sunrise. Tethered to my n800 and direct downloading to the flickr account sounds nice. I'll ask around on the internettablettalk forum site and get something going. Start a thread about it then with examples!

Viruses on the camera too? Could be... but then again, whatever program accessing the camera now would be "filtered" through the computer first in addition from being downloaded from a trusted site. So the potential seems fairly remote. As for the future when there is built in wi-fi or bluetooth2? Guess there will be a vulnerability then. Still if accessing through a proxy or through, say a n800, then that computer's virus protection/firewall will be there. That and the virus would have to be made for this camera's os specifically. So it'd be the other brands that would be more at risk.

09-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Nerd-Warning!! My P-O-V ALERT!!

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
the thing is am i going to have to get anti-vires softwhere for my camera

i see a LOT of good this could have but i am see some bad
I don't think that the risk of your camera "catching a virus" will dramatically increase. There is always a possibility that someone have hacked the official Pentax-site and replaced the firmware-files with "tainted" ones. Or if you (or someone else...) are naive enough to download "official firmware" form a non-official site.

As a programmer and complete geek/nerd I would absolutely love to be able to customize the functionality of my (future...) DSLR as much as possible (There's no big problems with the original functionality, but why settle with that?).

Personally I wouldn't install a 3rd-party firmware, if it wasn't open source. For the first, I would want to be able to perhaps add my own functionality etc. Second, with open source, the firmware is much more unlikely to contain malicious code (with the exception of what I mentioned at the beginning of the post).

When it comes to future features, it would be nice to see a FF-body, but I think there's a lot of other improvements/functionality that could attract more users.
Bluetooth would be nice, and a way to do tethered shooting without the tether.
But I am a bit reserved to the idea of WLAN in a camera, I guess it could be useful to upload the images to a server as you take them. But there's Eye-Fi that lets you do that, without opening up other camera-functionality to "the world".
Besides, adding WLAN would probably add both weight & size and also more to the price (I don't think a higher price would justify the usefulness of WLAN).

What I would what to see is more customization (on a more basic level that the 3rd-party firmware would do: meaning, be able to change what certain buttons do, a "start-up screen", password-protection etc).
A better Live-View (according to the reviews I've read on K20D, the LV is poorly done and has nothing on other, competing, models. Correct me if I'm wrong).
Video-recording (Full HD). Yeah, it's debatable if it has it's place in a DSLR (and certainly in a camera such as K20D), BUT it's getting more and more common and a sought-after feature and a big selling-point...
The list could be made long...

If someone would happen to find a project that is aiming to create a open firmware for Pentax, I would be thankful if you could bring it to my attention (either a PM or simply a thread), as I would love to help out with the developing.

As a last note/reflection: It would actually be interesting if someone managed to create a virus for Pentax cameras. Why? Well that means that they would have found how to interact with the cameras hardware/existing firmware that could be used when developing a "good firmware". ;?)

Sorry for a long post, but you were warned...
07-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have the CHDK hack on the SD card I use for my Canon SD800IS and it works like a charm! The great thing about it (besides what I get from the camera now) is the hack stays ONLY on the SD card and does not affect the camera's firmware whatsoever. Instead, it acts as a parallel firmware which can be toggled on or off at start up.

With this hack, I can now shoot RAW, shoot video using my camera's lens zoom , instead of merely the digital zoom, shoot at incredibly high shutter speeds, an indefinite intervolometer, adjustable motion detection sensitivity, and other things. This out of a pocket P&S!

Safe to say, I use my K10D fpr the serious stuff, but as I carry my ultra compact P&S with me just abouyt everywhere, it's a lot fun to play around with it now and the RAW shots are pretty darn impressive.

Jason
I just checked out this site tonight. Why oh why do I have to own an unsupported camera? But I will have to look into the possibility of seeing if the hack in portable to the SD770IS. The hack is so compelling, I might just get a different Canon...
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Just because I am a geek by nature, I have looked at a few Canon hack sites for user modded firmware for their cameras. I am sure these exist because of the larger user base for their models, but does anyone know of any things being done for our Pentax bodies?

Camera Hacker

canondigicamhacking : canondigicamhacking

CHDK - CHDK Wiki

Plus many others. Just google canon camera hack for a sample. I haven't programmed much in over 15 years, so I am not the one to dig into these, however it is interesting to see and I have played with hacks on my desktop a bit to do things like overclock and change video modes and enable processors I wasn't supposed to use.

Just wondering...

Scott
Thanks for bringing this up Scott. I am a long time coder but have done little hardware coding, since the days of PALs and GALs. I'm probably dating myself a bit.

If I can find a way to decrypt and decode the K20D firmware to turn off the mandatory DFS, it would be well worth the time spent on it!
07-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hallenti Quote
Just my 2-cents worth here - If you have ever had a computer software issue and called the publisher, you will find out why this open-source or publiched hacks, while a fun idea, wouldn't work.

You have an issue with some software you have purchased. So, you call and explain your problem to the publisher. They most often say "You have the latest version and we don't have any other issues like yours - it is a Windows problem". You call MS and they say "It is a problem with the software, not Windows". So, getting people to admit something they have worked on may be the issue, is pretty difficult. So, we'd have a lot of people saying "I followed the instructions perfectly and now the camera doesn't work anymore" and people blaming one group or another.
I have found open source software to be very good and well documented. There are forums and wiki's all over the internet. While commercial software companys can "pass the buck" and blame Microsoft or the BIOS programs, open source is exactly that, open, and fixes for problems show up on forums and wiki's very quickly. It just requires the user to do some searching as there is no 1-800-WHINERS to call and get useless answers.