Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #16
Forum Member

Out in the street, just by pure chance, it only happened to me once that I met a Pentax owner. All the others I met was because I was buying/selling stuff, and that could be somewhere around 10 people, in various parts of Slovakia. One of them was even an active wedding photographer (he had a K10D, I believe), another an ex-wedding photographer (said he once tried to shoot a wedding with DA21 Limited, only to find out he wasn't able to pull it off with a prime lens).
A couple of times I was asked for an advice as to which camera to buy. I named Pentax amongst other brands, but it somehow went unnoticed and every time the people bought, I think, Nikons. I know a guy who was a die-hard Olympus fan, and kept ignoring me praising Pentax. Then he switched to Canon full-frame... So I didn't really succeed in attracting people to Pentax.
Once I took a one-day portrait workshop. My K5 was then a fairly new camera with one of the best sensors on the market and I naively thought I might impress some people with it. Out of the 15-ish participants, I was the only Pentaxian and it seemed to me that the others never even heard of the brand. So no, I didn't impress anyone - they were all fascinated by another guy's brand new 5D MkIII...
So Pentaxians are quite rare here in Slovakia. It's a sad thing to say about a company with such a long and successful history.

09-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
When you are in a place where there are a lot of people, I guess you have to have some discriminator to decide who to talk to. Plus you may learn a thing or two about your camera, or the other person may learn from you.

That said, I've also come across Nikon or Canon users and had a very interesting conversation on the London tower bridge with a D700 user. We actually talked about how the brand does not matter. He also let me use his tripod to get a shot of the bridge at night.

But mostly, I think it's the person that matters. If I come across a Pentax user who I think is not my type of person I probably won't start a conversation. Same with Canon or Nikon or any other brand. Well, except maybe Leica, because Leica users are by definition nice people.
09-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I think I've seen two other Pentax shooters. One in Hagerstown, Maryland and one in St. Petersburg, Russia. Neither were very talkative, but that's okay because neither am I.