Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

You shoot Pentax too?

Hello friends, upon jumping into digital the start of this year i've been running into lot's of photographers and to my suprise I have seen several dedicated pentax shooters. Besides that many of my canon and Nikon friends have this respect for Pentax that surprised me at first. I've had some oldtimers tell me they would sooner switch to Pentax than any other system. Anytime I run into a fellow Pentax person we are almost immediate friends. And again it surprises me to find another pentaxian.

So what's your reaction like when you find another Pentax shooter? Do you hit it off, or is the encounter more a a friendly tip of the hat to one another?

Also there and interesting post by ABMJ titled "Are we really THAT rare". Check it out. It's similar to this post but a little different.

09-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "Are we really THAT rare?" thread is where this post should be.
09-23-2014, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never actually met another Pentaxian In Real Life.
09-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Yos
Veteran Member

Well, one of my best friends I met thanks to Pentax and Pentaxforums.
And the other few Pentaxians I have met we get along very good. It's certainly a great icebreaker we share the same passion and interest.

09-24-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread!

I don't actually personally (as in face to face and know their name) know another Pentax user - other than people I have bought Pentax gear off.
NZ seems to be hugely biased towards Canokon for DSLRs.

That said my friends (who are in to photography) don't put down my Pentax at all. They still say the old sayings like "Theres nothing wrong with Pentax glass".
09-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

Get people to buy Pentax

Itīs not often I bump into other people that got a Pentax. But I have a solution.
Get your friends and family to by a Pentax. I have got two of my friends to by Pentax, and my sister. They are all very happy with choise of camera, so I can still go safe outside :-)
Pentax i well made cameras, so I don't hesitate to recommend them to others.
09-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, since the time I bought my Pentax K-x in 2010, I have only run into one other Pentax shooter. Like me, she was a former Olympus DSLR user. But I did influence my brother-in-law to get a Pentax.

09-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year I was at Yellowstone National Park waiting in line to get some lunch at a restaraunt in the Old Faithful area and ran into a guy with a Pentax. He was sporting a Spotmatic!!!!!! We talked a bit and told him I had the updated version, the Spotmatic II. The only other Pentax SLR\DSLR shooter I have seen in a long time.
09-24-2014, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AbadPhotography Quote

So what's your reaction like when you find another Pentax shooter? Do you hit it off, or is the encounter more a a friendly tip of the hat to one another?

I think I saw a Pentaxian from far away once. It was so shocking and surprising that I didn't know what to do! I froze!

I tried waving ... first with one hand, then one arm, then both arms. My signals were not noticed. I started walking over to him only to see him raise his camera with a 3 meter long lens on it. Then I realized he'd never see me. I was too close and I would be lost in the bokeh.

So I started running away and again I started waving one hand, then two hands, then two arms. It would have worked except he turned around. It only made sense to run a half mile around him to face him and then see if I could grab his attention. Huffing and puffing after my sprint, I looked back only to see that I couldn't find see him anymore.

It didn't work out. He was doing what every Pentaxian does best in the field. He was taking pictures.
09-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A fellow stopped me on the sidewalk just yesterday and said he had a K-3 also and loved it.
09-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen exactly 2 other Pentaxians since 2010. One was in 2011 at the Adirondack Museum, a white K-x or K-r. The other was a yellow K-01 at the zoo this past January.
09-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The only other pentaxian i know in real life is my dad...and I live in Cyprus..for whoever doesnt know, is a small island in the Mediterranean. so what are the chances?
it kind of makes me feel special lol
09-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

One of my oldest friends (35 years) is a lifelong Pentaxian. He owns a bunch of Pentax film, digital and 6x7 gear.

I turned my brother onto Pentax (K5IIs). He loves his camera. He is not a pro but has taken fantastic pix of my nieces.

I also sold my K500 to a photography newbie who wanted an inexpensive way to get into photography. I think she is super happy with her purchase. Her dad approached me and wanted my advice for a new camera for his daughter who is going to photography school. I told him go with Pentax DSLR now. And if the becomes successful and has the money down the road, she can get into more robust bodies and lenses and later into the Pentax 645. I told him Pentax is the only brand that offers the range. In addition, the interface will be familiar once she switches between various body types and formats.
09-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I run into Pentax shooters out and about. I always take the time to meet them. I have several Pentaxians friends as well, we trade gear too.
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not sure. I've never run into another person with a Pentax DSLR.... never even seen another pentax DSLR....