Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailing curtain flash problem -- help!

Hi!
It's the second post regarding trailing curtain flash today on this branch

This evening I just went out and tried some flash photography: K10D, on-board/360FGZ + 50mm/1.4 . All went fine except for the subject. Here are my findings:

1. trailing curtain mode only available in P-TTL with 360FGZ (on-board is always P-TTL)
2. flash fires in 2 bursts: immediately (P-TTL pre-flash?) and before the shutter is closed
3. it seems like the first burst *is* getting captured !!!
4. the effect of the first flash is lower than from the second, but still very visible, marking the start and the end of the path of a moving object on the photo.
5. both on-board and 360FGZ show this effect.

Point #3 and #4 worry me as my understanding tells me the first burst either should not be there or should not be registered -- shutter opens too early. It's either my K10D or my understanding of trailing curtain sync and its purposes...

Any hints appreciated!!! Thanks!

05-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
by no means i am a flash expert but i had asked before about rear sync and learned a thing or two about it.

1. i think u are correct. i aslo have the K10 with the 360 and some wireless triggers. I could only make the rear curtain work in the camera and TTL.

2. correct, i was told the 1st is for the camera TTL calcs

3. are you sure? how can you tell?

4. based on what?

5. refs #3 & #4.

also, please search under threads started by me or simply search "rear curtain" and u;ll find more posts about it.

later

bb
05-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

What firmware version is your K10 running?

This is a known issues, I had it as well with standard firmware (1.00). It's fixed with version 1.11 and younger, AFAIK.

Have a look here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

See point 2. at V1.11.