Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than Simply Shake Reduction

Pentax has been astonishingly creative with its SR system: straightening (albeit within one degree), composition adjustment, sensor cleaning, AA filter simulation, have I missed anything? What else could they do with the system? Is there something is particular you would miss if they switched to in-lens stabilization? Have other companies used their SR systems in clever ways?

09-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You missed astro-tracking in combination with the GPS module.
In-body SR, with its many applications, really is a jewel in Pentax's crown.
09-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You missed astro-tracking in combination with the GPS module.
In-body SR, with its many applications, really is a jewel in Pentax's crown.
Cool, I didn't know that was how the GPS system worked.
09-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another possible application for the future.

RiceHigh's blog few weeks ago described a Japanese patent for using the SR system to emulate the Canon on-chip phase detection focus (if I read it right--the translation is a little rough).

The original reference (in Chinese) is dc.nphoto.net/news/2014-07/28/aee3821ee9506bf2

The camera shown in the patent is not a DSLR, but I doubt that would preclude the technology from being used in a DSLR. I have not found the patent or patent application on the US Patent Office website yet, but presumably Ricoh has applied for a patent in countries other than Japan.

Kudos to Pentax for having the ingenuity to use the SR system for functions other than SR (as mentioned in the above posts)! It will be interesting to see what they do next with the SR.

Cheers,
Lou

09-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pixel-shifting to increase resolution?
09-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pixel-shifting to increase resolution?
I've done this on my k-x. Just put on a tripod and burst. Stack in software after and the result was fantastic. I doubt they can do it in camera though.
09-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I've done this on my k-x. Just put on a tripod and burst. Stack in software after and the result was fantastic. I doubt they can do it in camera though.
Hasselblad does it so with good processing in the camera it should be possible to do.

09-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Hasselblad does it so with good processing in the camera it should be possible to do.
Oh I didn't know. If so that'd be cool, but I suppose we'd need a better processor - unless we do it with JPEG. I did it with RAW converted to TIFF on the computer, and the file sizes were huge.
09-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh I didn't know. If so that'd be cool, but I suppose we'd need a better processor - unless we do it with JPEG. I did it with RAW converted to TIFF on the computer, and the file sizes were huge.
Basically the same tech as Pentax uses. Only need to ensure precision and better the processing capabilities (and check patents) and we're ready to go:
Hasselblad unveils pixel-shifting 200MP H5D-200c MS: Digital Photography Review
09-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it true that in-lens SR works better for longer FL telephotos? If so, then that may be the path for future lenses.
Don't get rid of the floating sensor, though, that's a great feature.