Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #1

K20D LCD brightness setting

I have a K20D coming in the mail today and I have been looking back on my old K10D images. I find that I tended to under expose them quite a bit, that was partly a personal preference at the time, but I think it was overwrought perhaps because my LCD was so bright it tended to make the images look fine. What would you guys say is the optimum setting for the LCD to give honest results?

09-29-2014, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned a K20D for about five years and know what you're talking about. After trying to use LCD brightness to calibrate my perception, ended up leaving the LCD at it's default setting and now use the highlight indicator and histogram to gauge exposure. I've also found that E/V of +0.7 to +1.0 works in most cases.
10-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I've owned a K20D for about five years and know what you're talking about. After trying to use LCD brightness to calibrate my perception, ended up leaving the LCD at it's default setting and now use the highlight indicator and histogram to gauge exposure. I've also found that E/V of +0.7 to +1.0 works in most cases.
... and for the last 6 years, I thought I got a "bad copy" of a K20D, since every single picture always need tweaking the brightness, and with my FA135/2.8 [IF] or my DA 18-55 / 3.5-5.6 AL II, I always have to dial +0.7 to +1 EV and still need brightness adjustment in pp.

I wonder if its possible to tweak the camera's firmware, so it adjusts the standard (actual) exposure curves, to overexpose bt 2/3 EV but show exposure bias at screens and EXIF as 0.0....

Just a thought
10-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Banned

Pentax DSLR's tend to underexpose a bit to preserve highlights. Much like with slide film, dark area detail can be recovered, but once highlights are blown all detail is lost.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

10-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Pentax DSLR's tend to underexpose a bit to preserve highlights. Much like with slide film, dark area detail can be recovered, but once highlights are blown all detail is lost.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

You are 100% right. Its that I am lazy an sometimes just shoot jpg and "pretend" there is no need for pp. This laziness has become worse sinco I got my smartphone. It just feels so easy just to aim, shoot, upload (instagram & dropbox) and share (whatsupp).

In the meantime... back to Earth, shoot raw, process, save both files, archive and enjoy.....