Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5IIs two years later. Does it stand the test of time in the digital era?

With the K5IIs still available new for seemingly low prices (as low as what I paid for my K-30 in one instance) and the current low prices on most other recent Pentax bodies I wonder if The K5IIs has stood the test of time after two years on the market and in users hands.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.
09-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Considering the K-50 is still available and has the same sensor but slightly fewer features, sure. The K-5IIs can be found for a great price these days. Unless you absolutely need 20 or 24MP, but honestly, most users don't even need 16MP
09-29-2014, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
With the K5IIs still available new for seemingly low prices (as low as what I paid for my K-30 in one instance)
You clearly don't live in Australia
You still can't buy genuine Australia stock of the K-5II for under AUD$1,089.00 (currently the lowest I've found).
There are some Aussie based stores selling grey market copies around the AUD$850 - AUD$950 mark and offering a 1 year Aussie wty, but that's not Pentax wty.
I'd never buy grey market Pentax.
09-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Considering the K-50 is still available and has the same sensor but slightly fewer features, sure. The K-5IIs can be found for a great price these days. Unless you absolutely need 20 or 24MP, but honestly, most users don't even need 16MP
I was able to make great 16x11 canvas prints from my K110D at 6.1 MP. They're not as sharp as the ones from the K-5 IIs, but if you didn't have side-by-side comparison ability, you'd have no issues (in fact, I doubt anyone but me will notice). In short, the camera's capability will more than make up for MP.

09-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I wonder if The K5IIs has stood the test of time after two years on the market and in users hands.
The lack of focus peaking was a deal-breaker for me, after the K-01 got me hooked.
Looking for a replacement backup to my K5 after a K-x started showing its age,
I went with the K-50 instead. Its AA filter seems less aggressive than on the original K5.
09-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if The K5IIs has stood the test of time after two years on the market and in users hands.
It certainly has. I still really enjoy working with my K5IIs - even though I have a K3, not to mention plenty of other cameras.

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ 23mm f/1.8
09-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
There are some Aussie based stores selling grey market copies around the AUD$850 - AUD$950 mark and offering a 1 year Aussie wty, but that's not Pentax wty.
I'd never buy grey market Pentax.

My grey market K5iis is still going strong.
It's the reason I haven't bought a K3.

incidentally, techriffic now has them for $724.00

09-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I bought the K3 in Oz because it was cheaper than the K5ii. Go figure. Mind you they have other weird things like the K50 costing less with a lens than body only and the K30 costing more than K50.
Honestly, now I have the K3, I think it's the one to get and am glad I didn't get the K5ii.
The white balance and automatic exposure being spot on every time make all the difference. Then there's the autofocus...
09-29-2014, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I'm using a K-5 and am rather happy with it. It has a more manageable resolution than the K-3, not to mention that the video capabilities of the K-5 are much better than that of the K-3 (I know I know, in terms of audio the K-3 is better... not that important though cause you can always grab audio externally, and internal audio sucks no matter what, and yes, you have more manual controls, but what use is that when the result looks like s***?).
09-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
My grey market K5iis is still going strong.
Thanks. I'm not suggesting grey market models are inferior, they are not. That's not what grey market means.
My reason for not buying grey market Pentax cameras is Pentax warranty.

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
incidentally, techriffic now has them for $724.00
A grey market seller (TCF Global, Hong Kong), no Pentax wty and no K-5II body for AUD$724 that I can see - Got an URL to that page?
That would be cheaper than their pricing for the K-50.
Their pricing for a K-5II kit is quite high as well ► Digital SLR Cameras
09-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #11

If I had the spare change, I'd buy a second K-5 IIs and stash it away until mine was irreparably damaged or stolen. It's that good.
09-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was really torn between getting a used K5II and getting a K-30. I still think the K5II is a great camera and if I was more into having a standard black no frills serious flagship type model I'd have probably chosen one over the K-30's. It does have it's advantages. The K5II is tougher built than my K-30's. But it's also heavier by a fair bit which is not ideal for me. I'm having a hard time lugging heavier equipment these days.

In the end I chose the K-30 because for my needs it was a bit better fit than the K5II, and I like the K-30 design a heck of a lot, but there are things about the K5II that I must admit that I thought about long and hard before I finally chose. If I was going to go for a flagship model that's the one I'd choose. I would honestly not pick a K-3 over a K5II even now. The K-3 is a bit overkill for me and it's far more expensive besides.

I got two K-30's and two WR lenses for what a K-3 cost pretty much. You could do the same with a used dual K-5II kit at this point. Two cameras, not one, plus lenses for the same $1200? Of course I'd choose the K5II instead. I think the K5II stands up pretty well actually.
09-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you shoot in the dark the II series is definitely impressive, fewer AF points but -3EV is amazing. Other features help set it above the K-5 Classic, but for me the -3EV makes the II/IIs stand on their own.
09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I still think that the K5II is the most well-built camera for photographers. There are no unnecessary gimicks. It just stays out of the way and shoots really well. I'm waiting for prices to drop further and I'm getting a second one. I don't like the way Pentax is going with their newer models.

It's not just Pentax but Nikon is even worse. After they announced the D750 I bought a second D700 the week after. Nikon completely lost the plot. They dumbed down their cameras to avoid competing with their higher models.
09-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
If I had the spare change, I'd buy a second K-5 IIs and stash it away until mine was irreparably damaged or stolen. It's that good.
Totally agree! That is also the case for me.